BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 21h, 31m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 2215MB of 3901MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: PS3 vs 360        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
What is your view on the PS3 vs 360 war. Also don't just write 'PS3' or '360' give reasons. My view is that the PS3 is a better media player then a game console since it can play Blu-Ray and DivX files. The cell chip is a bit of a waste thinking it has only 256Mb of Ram. The 360 also supports more advanced graphics and is cheaper. The 360 also has halo 3 but I have heard halo 1 and 2 is better. The Episodic content on Grand Theft Auto 4 is 360 exclusive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:20 am 
Donator

the 360 is better for video games, it's design to play games and it does it's job.
the ps3 is a multimedia system, it could play games, watch movies, access the internet and linux. The problem with the ps3 is that there is not that much gret games on it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
As a gaming console the 360 wins hands down! The 360 has the games, most multi platform games get better reviews on the 360, Xbox Live is the best thing to happen to online gaming since broadband, I'm loving the Xbox Live arcade games. I also like the whole achievements idea, it gives you something to show for all your hard hours of playing.

To me the PS3 just doesn’t have many games that appeal, for the online stuff i hear that if you get a message in game but you can’t read or reply unless you quit, not sure how true that is i just read it somewhere.

As a media player I don’t think either of them are that great, apart from not been able to play HD stuff a modded Xbox wins hands down!
I think the PS3 has most potential to be a great media player for HD stuff, it has Blueray and a TV tuner... I can see the Linux port of XBMC working great on a PS3 sometime in the future!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Just what InsaneNutter said. Plus the price... ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:44 pm 
Donator

I like the PS3, I know the 360 and Wii had some advantage for being out longer, but I can see the PS3 becoming a really good system, I look forward to Grand Theft Auto 4 and Final Fantasy 13 to come out, I still gotta get Oblivion Game of the year edition and Devil May Cry 4

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:51 pm 
Donator

hypr wrote:
I like the PS3, I know the 360 and Wii had some advantage for being out longer, but I can see the PS3 becoming a really good system, I look forward to Grand Theft Auto 4 and Final Fantasy 13 to come out, I still gotta get Oblivion Game of the year edition and Devil May Cry 4

It would be a great system when the good games come out, so I'll wait till next year to get one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:53 pm 
FTP Access

Games aside, the 360 has a better experience. The live integration and achievements, the comfortable controller, the menu system, standard headset with Live, it all comes together in a great way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:59 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I'm not sure which of the two consoles I prefer. I like the PS3 because of Gran Turismo, such an awesome game... I also like the Xbox because of its power and other games which you can't get on the PS3. Tough choice!

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:02 pm 
Donator

Don't forget the 360's disc scratching problem.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:05 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Windows OCManage wrote:

Did it really happen? I just thought it was careless owners blaming their lack of care on the Xbox :S

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:18 am 
Administrator

As mentioned the PS3 is neutered because of its low graphics memory (hello!? Sony!?). But the 360 is quite limited too... they talk all about raw power but it rarely performs well, and most releases are half-asses ports created with the slowest machine in mind... All this talk about true HD gaming and very few games can actually run in full HD... And when they do they run badly. And MS should get their act together. Toss out the HD-DVD player, put in a Bluray player, and sell a cheap external HD-DVD for those unlucky that got a collection of HD-DVD titles. Or just offer an upgrade where they replace the player and put the old one in an external cabinet.

If I would choose I would pick PS3, even if I hate Sony :) The PS3 has a more stable hardware, doesn't sound like an airplane, and doesn't crash as much as the 360. Unfortunately both are so locked tight that they are practically useless for anything except gaming. I wouldn't call them multimedia machines only because they can play bluray/HD-DVD, the original Xbox could play DVD:s, and it wasn't a real multimedia machine until it got hacked. Yes yes, PS3 has its Linux thing, but anyone that used it knows that you can't use all the hardware. So the point is moot.

Give me a gaming console where I can play any video and audio files (it should have a modular codec system), let me code Linux or whatever for it without hardware limitations and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, then I'll call it a multimedia system with gaming capabilities, and not a gaming system with limited audio/video playback.

To me they are pure gaming machines, nothing else. Good machines, but only for gaming.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:50 pm 
Donator

well, all gaming consoles are quite limited to reduce production cost

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:37 pm 
Donator

don't forget Blu-ray and the possibility of putting Linux (PSubuntu and YellowDog) on the ps3. I already did,

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:58 am 

Well I vote for the PS3.

Yes I admit it: I'm a PlayStation fan.

I have a PS1 + PS2 and I loved them!

Great games, great hardware(even when isn't the best around).

Because I think putting my money on Microsoft's console is a risk.
I mean, that company do whatever they have to do for killing the competence, and when they dominate the market stop the serious develop.
Main example: Internet Explorer 6.0.

In the other hand Sony won by a large range with the PS1 but the PS2 was awesome anyway. And same thing for PS3.

Another reason in favor of PS3: probably the console's life-cycle will be longer than X-Box or Wii life-cycle.
There are some brand new PS2 games around, a year and a bit after PS3 was launched.
You can't say the same for the now-die X-Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:56 am 
Donator

second example: HD-DVD!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:04 am 
Donator

RGaspar wrote:
Well I vote for the PS3.

Yes I admit it: I'm a PlayStation fan.

I have a PS1 + PS2 and I loved them!

Great games, great hardware(even when isn't the best around).

Because I think putting my money on Microsoft's console is a risk.
I mean, that company do whatever they have to do for killing the competence, and when they dominate the market stop the serious develop.
Main example: Internet Explorer 6.0.

In the other hand Sony won by a large range with the PS1 but the PS2 was awesome anyway. And same thing for PS3.

Another reason in favor of PS3: probably the console's life-cycle will be longer than X-Box or Wii life-cycle.
There are some brand new PS2 games around, a year and a bit after PS3 was launched.
You can't say the same for the now-die X-Box

all the ps3's they sell here don't have PS2 compatibility so some stupied reason

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:08 am 
Donator

Well thats gay then.
Import them from Australia, its pretty much all the same ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
For me it's the 360. From talking to my (real-life and some online) friends, to playing Fifa 08 and my dad thought it was real football, to watching Futurama streamed to it through media centre, I love the 360. Mind you it does heat up a lot, I could fry my morning bacon on it, but it is good. I have never had scratched discs bother, mine are ALWAYS in their cases (unlike my brothers wii games), I have had a PS1, PS2, PSP and when the PS3 came out I looked at the price tag and thought F**k no way! and since my friend has Halo 3, I played it at his house, we had a great time. I have also enjoyed the inbuilt Windows Live Messenger. Really it comes down to presonal preference. If you think the PS3 looks good, get it. If you wana install Linux on it, go ahead. If your friend has Halo 3 and nags you to play it online, get the 360 then. If you don't mind sacrificing graphics, or don't prefer a standard joypad, and are looking for something new, get a Wii. Just don't eat off people's throat's when they say "I have a PS3, it's great" or "I have a 360, I love playing it online" or "The PSP's portability and hombrew comminity is what i have always wanted" or "This Wii is great fun". It's all down to one person: You. (Except dumb people who think playing the wii gets them fit/exercise or think everyone they see should have their console. If you wana get fit, go outside and kick balls or run around. The wii can be fun but no mather how many small white things you stand on, you will not get exercise.)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:05 pm 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
Well thats gay then.
Import them from Australia, its pretty much all the same ;)

its pretty much the same everywhere, the 40 GB PS3 does not work with PS2 games cause they took out that EE chip (main processor) to reduce cost. The 80 GB is suppose to have a emulator to play PS2 games, but we all know what emukators are like.

even in japan, the drop the 60GB model, so if you want to play PS2 games, buy a PS2. (or wait for a decent PS2 emulator in 5 years)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:33 pm 
FTP Access

It's a tough choice. The PS3 has more power and I think it will be simply better than the 360 in the future. But for now, I think 360 > PS3. Sure, 360 has problems with overheating (about 30% of all made consoles overheat). And it can scratch disks when vertical. But it still has a LOT better price compared to that of the PS3 and has more games (it will surely change in the future, though). Plus, I have a 360 at my house and I'm very glad that I have it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:58 am 

Now that HD-DVD is not longer supported there is another powerful reason to buy PS3: Blu-ray Disc, the future of HD-Video

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_defin ... format_war

I'm speechless

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:16 pm 
XDude wrote:
second example: HD-DVD!

unfortunately, HD-DVD's are dead. (if this was already posted, sorry!)

my personal preference is the 360, because all over-heating issues aside, it has a better cpu

PostPost subject: Re: PS3 vs 360        Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
mewrox99 wrote:
What is your view on the PS3 vs 360 war. Also don't just write 'PS3' or '360' give reasons. My view is that the PS3 is a better media player then a game console since it can play Blu-Ray and DivX files. The cell chip is a bit of a waste thinking it has only 256Mb of Ram. The 360 also supports more advanced graphics and is cheaper. The 360 also has halo 3 but I have heard halo 1 and 2 is better. The Episodic content on Grand Theft Auto 4 is 360 exclusive.

On the PS3 most DivX files won't play, and I have no idea why.
On the 360 they DO play, strange, that is :P
The 360 is better for online play, although it costs
The PS3 is better for High Definition movies & games.
The Wii... just sucks
Thats my opinion (:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:17 am 
FTP Access

I have a 360 and ps3. I can say that both are great consoles but the 360 wins for me, LIVE gets it for my yes you have to pay for it but it works really well and the controller. the 360 controller is better designed for me the triggers are better and how you hold the controller the analog stick is in a more natural position for me where the ps3 will give me thum ache not to mention crap trigger buttons on the back.

PS3 might be master but 360 is king

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:28 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
Windows OCManage wrote:

Did it really happen? I just thought it was careless owners blaming their lack of care on the Xbox :S

Yeah, that really happened. Microsoft "came out of the closet" in a sense and admitted DVD drive problems.

You also have the rrod problem, however, it is easier to fix then you think. I actually repair/mod them as a little side job, and repairing a RROD 360 can take anywhere from 20 - 40 mins to revive back to a fully working state.

As a harcore 360 fan, I will definitely say "Xbox 360". Microsoft is constantly adding new features to the 360, and their online system is insanely better then Sony's or Nintendo's. They even just announced larger HDD capacity, a new dashboard style, the ability to save your games to the HDD (way faster loading times, only benefits you if you have large HDD), and a huge library of games to select from for all ages.

For instance, my entire family plays on our 360's (yes I have 3), we are constantly going on Live with each other or playing different games at the same time. However, my mom isn't going to want my little 5 year old brother watching me play Gears of War. So, he plays Burnout Paradise, Cars, or Hot-Wheels in the living room while I play Gears of War or Halo 3 in my bedroom.

With the price drop announced a few days ago, the 360 w/ 20GB HDD is now pretty close to the price range of the Nintendo Wii. Microsoft can now successfully take on both Nintendo and Sony with their line of 360's (They do have too many different 360's now though).

However, with my dad's recent purchase of a 50" Plasma TV, as well as the death of HD-DVD, I will most likely pick up a PS3 by the year's end. Mostly for Blu-Ray movies, but I am also into racing games and Motorstorm kicks ass. With the PS3, I can also pop in my own 2.5" Sata HDD and format it for use with the PS3. The 360 can't do that...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM