BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 8h, 53m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5108MB of 11413MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:49 am 
Donator

Quote:
I thought there were deliberate limitations in XP to make you get a proper Windows Server instead? Doesn't IIS in XP only allow a small number of connections, and things like that?

Yes, you're right, there are some limitations like that. But as I said, if you only run a small (home) network consisting of a few PCs, this might be suficient. And for a web server, you don't have to use IIS, do you? There are other ones like Apache and so on which do not have such limitations. :)

Quote:
My PC is at 52 C now, not doing a lot, and in the summer if I play games on it it'll easily reach 70, or 80 C if it's a hot day. It's certainly not quiet enough to sleep with it on either (although I have done so before, the last time being when I install Vista 5219 in VMware, thinking it would be done in an hour or two so I could go to bed but it took forever so I just left it installing overnight - don't know what it was that made that build take so long - and I've downloaded things overnight a few times).

That's a hot machine. My MacBook does get hot when under load as well (it's not my primary machine, though). But if I have to run the machine overnight, i.e. when it's not set asleep, I usually underclock the CPU and reduce its voltage, allowing me to significantly decrease the speed of the fans. Combine that with an almost to completely inaudible PSU and silent hard drives and there you have your silent PC. :)

For example, when I had an Athlon64 box as my primary machine, I'd run it at 1 GHz and 1.1V if it was under light load and up it to 2 GHz at 1.4 or 1.5V when I was really needing the power. At night, when downloading and stuff like that, it was underclocked to 800 MHz at 0.8V. This allowed me to reduce the fan speed to 600rpm or something like that, making it literally inaudible. My PSU, HDs and case fans were quiet because silenced/undervolted in case of the fans too, and because of that I had a whisper-quiet machine :)

@Andy
That was the point I was also referring to when saying XP (Pro) is sufficient as an OS for a small server.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:59 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I use RMClock to reduce the clock speed on my laptop to 400MHz. It does it dynamically too so it reduces it when not in use and puts it up again when it is, increasing battery life and reducing power consumption.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:00 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
That's a hot machine.

That's what happens when you have a Pentium 4 HT 3.4 Ghz in a laptop :)

empireum wrote:
For example, when I had an Athlon64 box as my primary machine, I'd run it at 1 GHz and 1.1V if it was under light load and up it to 2 GHz at 1.4 or 1.5V when I was really needing the power. At night, when downloading and stuff like that, it was underclocked to 800 MHz at 0.8V. This allowed me to reduce the fan speed to 600rpm or something like that, making it literally inaudible. My PSU, HDs and case fans were quiet because silenced/undervolted in case of the fans too, and because of that I had a whisper-quiet machine :)

How do you change all those settings? - I've never seen an option anywhere to do that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:03 am 
Donator

That's why I'd never buy a laptop with a desktop CPU. And as my laptops are usually supposed to be as small and light as possible, err, as my financial status allows them to be :wink:, I'm very concerned about the CPU's heat output and power usage. :)

I change(d) these settings with an utility called RMClock. And the Athlon64 supports that by default (at least up to some degree) due to a technology called Cool&Quiet. Using RMClock enables you to define more power states with customized clock and according voltage settings. I don't know if your CPU supports it, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:47 pm 
Donator

currently my cpu is at 54C (just using the net and listening to music), i have seen it get up to 68C before. CPU is an Athlon XP 2500+ with a stock fan

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:39 pm 
Donator

___ wrote:
currently my cpu is at 54C (just using the net and listening to music), i have seen it get up to 68C before. CPU is an Athlon XP 2500+ with a stock fan

I've got the same CPU in my main desktop .. it runs at about the same temperatures. Pretty warm.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:55 pm 
Donator

sweet, so i haven't done something wrong or something

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:12 pm 
Donator

Heh, doesn't look like it :P With mine I've gone through about three different heatsinks incl the stock heatsink. Weird thing is my machine's average temperature has increased with every heatsink installation (it used to be 45-48 when not under a heavy load, now it averages 55 when not under a heavy load.) :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:33 pm 
Donator

old age

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:42 pm 
Donator

___ wrote:
old age

What? :?:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:46 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I think he means the processor will give out more heat with old age. I can't see how though :?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:51 pm 
Donator

I can't quite believe that. The heat scales with the Vcore's square. Maybe it's because of the lack of heat-conductive paste...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:56 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
empireum wrote:
I can't quite believe that. The heat scales with the Vcore's square. Maybe it's because of the lack of heat-conductive paste...

Id say thats most likely, or the paste is hardening reducing its effectiveness.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:05 pm 
Donator

Yeah, I'd probably put it down to the thermal paste ... i was never that great at getting it to go on nicely.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:10 pm 
Donator

Me neither. Especially AthlonXP's tend to get really hot when there's not enough thermal paste. I once had an XP 2200+ completely shut off itself when being under 100% load for a couple of minutes. Once I reapplied a good amount of thermal paste, it survived a 12-hour 100% load with no problems :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:34 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Andy wrote:
The server has reached a milestone of 30 days uptime :)

snip

Lost it now due to a RAM upgrade :( Oh well, lets try and get there again :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:12 am 
Donator

well i never added any thermal paste as it had some other stuff already one the heatsink (not paste) and it said not to add any

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2