The servers

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Andy
Administrator

The servers

Post by Andy »

Not sure if anyone has ever seen the BetaArchive servers before. Here is a sneaky peek

Left to right:
HTTP Server, Network Hub, UPS, Storage/Backup Server

If you want a close up of any part of the pic, let me know and Ill take a high res pic of it

DanielC
FTP Access

Post by DanielC »

What's with the missing front covers?
~ Dan

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Space where the CD-ROM was removed and I didnt have a spare cover. The CD-ROM's were removed to accommodate the HD's.

DanielC
FTP Access

Post by DanielC »

Fair enough ...
~ Dan

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

whats the specs?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

HTTP server specs on www.abyssunderground.co.uk/server.php and the storage server on http://www.abyssunderground.co.uk/server_old.php but it has 2x250gb drives not just 20gb.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Just thought Id bring this up again with a little video I just made with my camcorder. Quality isnt brilliant as its an old tape camcorder and I used a Composite to USB to get it to the pc.

http://72.232.61.202/Servers.wmv

PaulK

Post by PaulK »

They look like death steps to get to your 'server room'

Paul

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

whats the blue light thingy? Light for your web cam?
-Jeff

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

the blue light is cool
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

They are very awkward steps. They're like that because of how steep they needed to be to fit in.

Yeah the light is for the webcam, but its white The camera makes it look blue because of how bright it is.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

The server has reached a milestone of 30 days uptime

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

What OS are they running?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

empireum wrote:What OS are they running?
Windows XP Both have roughly the same uptime since they were both switched back on at the same time after the powercut.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Andy wrote:
Windows XP Both have roughly the same uptime since they were both switched back on at the same time after the powercut.
That doesn't surprise me too much, I'd be rather surprised if you said they were running ME, though

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

empireum wrote:
Andy wrote:
That doesn't surprise me too much, I'd be rather surprised if you said they were running ME, though
Well Ive had uptimes of 60 days before, then I managed to BSOD it with VPC (not this machine though, an old 1.3GHz Duron I had a while back, managed to blow the cpu on it by removing the heatsink while it was on lol)

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Well Ive had uptimes of 60 days before, then I managed to BSOD it with VPC (not this machine though, an old 1.3GHz Duron I had a while back, managed to blow the cpu on it by removing the heatsink while it was on Rolling Eyes lol)
I think the longest uptime I've ever had on a Windows (2000) box was around two weeks or something like that. But it didn't crash, I shut it down intentionally. My "true" 24/7 box that's been running for several months doesn't run Windows. I also managed to destroy a Socket A CPU. I was using too much force when installing the cooler and... heard the core crack. That was it...

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

empireum wrote:
Well Ive had uptimes of 60 days before, then I managed to BSOD it with VPC (not this machine though, an old 1.3GHz Duron I had a while back, managed to blow the cpu on it by removing the heatsink while it was on Rolling Eyes lol)
I think the longest uptime I've ever had on a Windows (2000) box was around two weeks or something like that. But it didn't crash, I shut it down intentionally. My "true" 24/7 box that's been running for several months doesn't run Windows. I also managed to destroy a Socket A CPU. I was using too much force when installing the cooler and... heard the core crack. That was it...
Ah well, its bound to happen to us all I suppose.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

You mean the destruction of a CPU and stuff like that? Well, it was my fault. I knew I had to pay attention to the core, but I didn't. That was the punishment. But I got a new CPU on eBay and and was careful when installing the cooler and it's been running fine since then, although a bit hot (it's an older Athlon XP with 1.75Vcore and it's cooled by an 80mm fan @ 1000rpm, thus it reaches >50°C @ idle....)

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

empireum wrote:You mean the destruction of a CPU and stuff like that? Well, it was my fault. I knew I had to pay attention to the core, but I didn't. That was the punishment. But I got a new CPU on eBay and and was careful when installing the cooler and it's been running fine since then, although a bit hot (it's an older Athlon XP with 1.75Vcore and it's cooled by an 80mm fan @ 1000rpm, thus it reaches >50°C @ idle....)
This pc is cooled by its stock fan, probably 100mm, at whatever speed I set on the speed controller on the front Its often running quite slow, but even on full its silent enough to sleep with it on. Thats what I designed it to do. It often runs at 52*c idle and over 65*c full load if I forget to turn the fan up. Ive seen it hit 70*c before Ive realised and put the fan up.

Beta Freak
FTP Access

Post by Beta Freak »

Is XP quite stable for a Server?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Beta Freak wrote:Is XP quite stable for a Server?
Very. Ive never ever had issues except for the odd severe program crash which forced me to reboot.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Concerning the CPU fan: I'm quite concerned about my PCs' noise, too. All my systems are optimized to be as silent as possible with their current equipment, fans are temperature-controlled and stuff like that. And although my main machine usually running 24/7 is very quiet, I sometimes have problems sleeping when it's on. Then, I send it to sleep.

Concerning XP as a server: It's not explicitly meant to be a server OS, but as it features the stable NT kernel, it's not too bad either. Although I'd rather run a Windows Server OS on a server if I had to run Windows on it, there are no reasons that forbid the use of XP (Professional!) as a server. For a "small server", it's more than sufficient. And a http or ftp server usually doesn't care about the OS it's running on.

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

empireum wrote:Concerning the CPU fan: I'm quite concerned about my PCs' noise, too. All my systems are optimized to be as silent as possible with their current equipment, fans are temperature-controlled and stuff like that. And although my main machine usually running 24/7 is very quiet, I sometimes have problems sleeping when it's on. Then, I send it to sleep.

Concerning XP as a server: It's not explicitly meant to be a server OS, but as it features the stable NT kernel, it's not too bad either. Although I'd rather run a Windows Server OS on a server if I had to run Windows on it, there are no reasons that forbid the use of XP (Professional!) as a server. For a "small server", it's more than sufficient. And a http or ftp server usually doesn't care about the OS it's running on.
I thought there were deliberate limitations in XP to make you get a proper Windows Server instead? Doesn't IIS in XP only allow a small number of connections, and things like that?
Andy wrote:Its often running quite slow, but even on full its silent enough to sleep with it on. Thats what I designed it to do. It often runs at 52*c idle and over 65*c full load if I forget to turn the fan up. Ive seen it hit 70*c before Ive realised and put the fan up.
My PC is at 52 C now, not doing a lot, and in the summer if I play games on it it'll easily reach 70, or 80 C if it's a hot day. It's certainly not quiet enough to sleep with it on either (although I have done so before, the last time being when I install Vista 5219 in VMware, thinking it would be done in an hour or two so I could go to bed but it took forever so I just left it installing overnight - don't know what it was that made that build take so long - and I've downloaded things overnight a few times).

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

There is a maximum of 5 connections on XP Home and 10 on Pro if I remember correctly. This doesnt affect many people though since its not often that you get 5/10 people connect at EXACTLY the same time.