BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 0h, 43m | CPU: 23% | MEM: 2145MB of 3877MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Help me setup my storage server !        Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10 10108
Hello :D

So, i'm going to need some of your help. I'm really terrible when it comes to servers.

So i've recently got my new laptop, wich is going to be my daily driver, but it's because I need a place to store my ISO files and stuff, so I wanted to use my old PC wich has a 2TB HDD...

I've installed Server 2012 R2 Storage Server on it, but it's because I don't how i'm going to set it up.

The only thing I need help with is how can I set-up the server, so I can access it from my laptop.

ANYTHING HELPS !

Thanks,
YoshiFan111

Sub to my YT https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdPz7j ... 40PuFFi8Dw

Specs

MSI GP63 8RD-048CA Leopard 15.6''

Windows 10 Pro x64
8th Gen i7-8750H @ 4.1 GHz
16GB (8x2) DDR IV 2400MHz
128SSD + 1TB HDD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help me setup my storage server !        Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
There are two ways of setting up a server:

* An HTTP server which is compatible with most devices. You can set up a webpage, so you can give a nice look when accessing to your files.
* A FTP server, which you can set permissions for read and write specific folders (E.g. write permissions to a upload folder and read-only to your software folders). Note that the FTP protocol is not compatible with all devices, but common devices like phones and PCs can access to a FTP server.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Help me setup my storage server !        Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
As mentioned a few times, BA is not a support forum, so asking for generic support on how to install/setup/run some software that is unrelated to abandonware/betas is frowned upon here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Help me setup my storage server !        Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:06 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
This is also the off-topic forum so people are welcome to ask things like this and get help if people offer.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help me setup my storage server !        Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:10 pm 
Administrator

SistemaRayoXP wrote:
There are two ways of setting up a server:

* An HTTP server which is compatible with most devices. You can set up a webpage, so you can give a nice look when accessing to your files.
* A FTP server, which you can set permissions for read and write specific folders (E.g. write permissions to a upload folder and read-only to your software folders). Note that the FTP protocol is not compatible with all devices, but common devices like phones and PCs can access to a FTP server.

You forgot the most common one: A simple file sharing server using SMB to share files across the local network, on top of that there are much more ways of using a server for file sharing. The OP didn't specify what kind of access he wanted. In fact, his request was extremely generic so it's difficult to help.

YoshiFan111, I suggest you first decide what kind of "server" you want and how you want to be access the resources on it. Then you google up any of the tens of thousands of guides that are present on the web. If you then get stuck with specific issues you can ask a more detailed and proper question here so we can help you in more detail. A generic "help I don't know what I am doing can someone else do it for me" kind of support question is not very good.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Help me setup my storage server !        Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
Andy wrote:
This is also the off-topic forum so people are welcome to ask things like this and get help if people offer.

Well, in the past other Moderators/Admins closed such threads with that exact reason, even in the off-topic forum.

I was just trying to be helpful for the OP not to "push it".

So, are totally off-topic discussions (not beta/abw related) now allowed in this forum or not? If they are, I will not remind people of that anymore...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Help me setup my storage server !        Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:38 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
It's moderated on a post by post basis. If it's totally off topic, e.g. "what colour shoes should I buy?" then yes we'll remove it, but since it's tech related it's fine here because we're loosely a tech related forum.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW