motherboard issues

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Hrimfaxi
FTP Access

motherboard issues

Post by Hrimfaxi »

i have a pc chips M789CLU laying around..its been in storage but one day i got bored and decided to plug it up..it refuses to start..and keeps "attempting" to read floppys..

there is no video, but the onboard video seems like its working due to heat from the heatsink

i know for a fact its not the RAM because i switched it out and it still refused to boot

halp?

Unknown

Post by Unknown »

Just a wild guess, but is it attempting to read the floppy to recover from a bad bios flash.
Do you have an old pci video card spare, maybe the video has thrown the towel in.

Hrimfaxi
FTP Access

Post by Hrimfaxi »

Unknown wrote:Just a wild guess, but is it attempting to read the floppy to recover from a bad bios flash.
Do you have an old pci video card spare, maybe the video has thrown the towel in.
yeah, i threw in my ati radeon 7000 and still no-go

edit:
idk i havent flashed the bios at all..so it can't be trying to recover the bios flash

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

Is there any bios reset pins?
The bios might need a reset

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Toshua123 wrote:Is there any bios reset pins?
Pfft thats hard work. Pull out the battery on the mobo for a few secs, put it back in then try. Failing that, try and replace the battery - dead batteries can screw up the booting of a computer. FAILING THAT, I dunno.

Hrimfaxi
FTP Access

Post by Hrimfaxi »

Resetting BIOS = didnt work

Taking battery in/out = also didnt work

great...i think this things offically kicked the bucket

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

happy dude wrote:
Toshua123 wrote:Is there any bios reset pins?
Pfft thats hard work. Pull out the battery on the mobo for a few secs, put it back in then try. Failing that, try and replace the battery - dead batteries can screw up the booting of a computer. FAILING THAT, I dunno.
Removing the battery doesn't always reset it. If there are capacitors on the board they may store enough power to keep the CMOS powered for the time the battery is out. The point of the reset pin is to discharge the capacitors and reset it properly.

expert01
FTP Access

Post by expert01 »

I see that it's loaded with capacitors. Check if any are bulging on the top, or completely blown. Also check for very tiny missing pieces (like transistors or broken leads). Make sure the power supply is functional (try on a different system, make sure it's not a dell). Make sure you have NOTHING plugged in until you can actually see the POST screen. That means no cards, no drives, no floppy, NOTHING. Make sure you only have the power switch cable connected, not the lights or reset.

Make sure that when you are resetting the BIOS, you are changing "jbat1" (right under the battery). Pin 1 is to the RIGHT, you want to short pins 2 and three (jumper to the LEFT). Also, some people say don't do this some say do (I say DO as I've had no problems), try shorting pins 2 and 3 then powering on the computer for a minute, then removing the jumper and putting it back to pins 1 and 2 (yes, I've done this while running and had no problems).

Could still be the ram. Remove RAM and start, it should beep over and over. Try the RAM on another computer and run MemTest.

If all else fails, buy a POST test card. http://www.provantage.com/startech-pcipost~7STRP04M.htm A little expensive, but a must for anyone that does any sort of PC repair. Also make SURE you have a speaker connected and that it's connected properly (manual is here). If there's a problem, the speaker beeps will help diagnose it.

Hrimfaxi
FTP Access

Post by Hrimfaxi »

RAM has been tested and nothing is wrong. Also from what I can see nothing is broken.

Compacitors are in good shape.

Tested with another power supply and proved no success.

I did find a speaker and plugged it into the board. It beeps once then almost instantly after that the floppy drive kicks in.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Hrimfaxi wrote:RAM has been tested and nothing is wrong. Also from what I can see nothing is broken.

I did find a speaker and plugged it into the board. It beeps once then almost instantly after that the floppy drive kicks in.
1 Beep says that the POST was succesfully.

Hrimfaxi
FTP Access

Post by Hrimfaxi »

DjRob wrote:
Hrimfaxi wrote:RAM has been tested and nothing is wrong. Also from what I can see nothing is broken.

1 Beep says that the POST was succesfully.

But thats the thing,

I'm getting no video at all..and it just keeps hitting the floppy drive
I've tried 2 video cards now and nothing works..

What a POS.