BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 15h, 12m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5793MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Scanner recommendations        Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:13 pm 
FTP Access

Hello! My scanner broke recently, and I want to get a new one. The main thing I need from it is to scan things for the FTP here as well as the Internet Archive. Aside from a few documents here and there, I would mostly be scanning CDs and manuals, so it would have to be a flatbed scanner. I'm probably going to get this one (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Epson-Perfec ... r/43922173), as it seems to be the best I can get with my budget (which is about $50 right now). Are there any better ones I could get for the price, or does that one seem to be good enough?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Scanner recommendations        Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:14 pm 
FTP Access

Somewhere in the deep depths of System32...

Favourite OS
98SE, 2000, XP, 7
silasqwerty1 wrote:
Hello! My scanner broke recently, and I want to get a new one. The main thing I need from it is to scan things for the FTP here as well as the Internet Archive. Aside from a few documents here and there, I would mostly be scanning CDs and manuals, so it would have to be a flatbed scanner. I'm probably going to get this one (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Epson-Perfec ... r/43922173), as it seems to be the best I can get with my budget (which is about $50 right now). Are there any better ones I could get for the price, or does that one seem to be good enough?

I've heard the HP scanjets are great for scanning things.

Reddit: superlions16

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Scanner recommendations        Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pencil and paper
A $50 budget is going to be quite limited. At that level I think the main thing to watch out for is that the scanner is large enough for average printed pages, and that it won't fall apart after a few hundred pages.

Scanning a bound manual with a typical flatbed scanner will wear out a manual's spine. There are more expensive flatbed book scanners with glass all the way to edge. I've heard recommendations for Optik Plus book scanners, but those are very expensive.

You can often find cheap used scanners at thrift stores or places like Goodwill or Value Village. I would avoid "all-in-one" printer/scanners though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Scanner recommendations        Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
Epson makes great scanners. The V19 should be fine for the money.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Scanner recommendations        Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:37 am 
FTP Access

I ordered the V19 not too long ago, thank you for the suggestions! I actually got the one I was using before at a thrift shop, and it worked pretty well for a while. There were just too many small annoying things with it that I decided to get a brand new one.

Top  Profile