BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 75d, 9h, 1m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 6463MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:54 am 
FTP Access

So, about 2 or 3 years ago i was scammed out of something i had for something that SEEMED legit.. but it does not work at all but has these weird files in it.. i was wanting to know if there was a way to find out what the original file extension was for these files..

51 files total of 43 gigs!

https://gyazo.com/a80c629407cf495dad999c5894872677

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:28 am 
Administrator

Have you checked the headers of these files?

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:44 am 
FTP Access

mrpijey wrote:
Have you checked the headers of these files?

in file checker
https://gyazo.com/5c1f32c388b47472a3f4fcbe76e76eea

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:52 am 
Administrator

Well that's a unix archiver (ar) archive file. Can't tell if it's multivolume or not. You should be able to try to uncompress it in linux or OSX.

ar -x archivefile

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:29 pm 
FTP Access

mrpijey wrote:
Well that's a unix archiver (ar) archive file. Can't tell if it's multivolume or not. You should be able to try to uncompress it in linux or OSX.

ar -x archivefile

well its ALOT of files but i am on win7 :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DOS
Apparently 7-Zip supports AR archives so that's an option for Windows.

If you have 51 .a files, perhaps they are all AR archives.

For identifying what files are, there is a Unix/Linux command called file which will look at file headers looking for "magic numbers" and try to identify what they are, e.g. in the WINDOWS directory from a Windows 3.1 installation:

Code:
$ file *
256COLOR.BMP: PC bitmap, Windows 3.x format, 80 x 50 x 8
ACCESSOR.GRP: Windows 3.x .GRP file
AD_PREFS.INI: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
AD_RSRC.DLL:  MS-DOS executable, NE for MS Windows 3.x (driver)

It's not like it's telling you what the extensions are directly, but you can probably figure out that a Windows format bitmap would have had a .BMP extension.

You could get a copy of this tool for Windows from Cygwin, MSYS, or something like that.

The tool doesn't have all the information about file formats built into it, they are in a separate magic file (normally packaged along with the tool). This might mean that you could install whatever version of file you can easily get for Windows, but grab a newer version of the magic file from somewhere else, e.g. a Linux distribution.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:35 am 
FTP Access

DOS wrote:

For identifying what files are, there is a Unix/Linux command called file which will look at file headers looking for "magic numbers" and try to identify what they are, e.g. in the WINDOWS directory from a Windows 3.1 installation:

Code:
$ file *

It's not like it's telling you what the extensions are directly, but you can probably figure out that a Windows format bitmap would have had a .BMP extension.

You could get a copy of this tool for Windows from Cygwin, MSYS, or something like that.

The tool doesn't have all the information about file formats built into it, they are in a separate magic file (normally packaged along with the tool). This might mean that you could install whatever version of file you can easily get for Windows, but grab a newer version of the magic file from somewhere else, e.g. a Linux distribution.

ill try 7z tomorrow

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:03 pm 
FTP Access

TheBetaCollective wrote:
DOS wrote:

Code:
$ file *

ill try 7z tomorrow

7zip was not able to open it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DOS
Oh, that's a shame! So are you going to try something like Cygwin, MSYS, etc., or do you need more advice on the best ports of Unix/Linux tools to Windows?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:02 am 
FTP Access

DOS wrote:
Oh, that's a shame! So are you going to try something like Cygwin, MSYS, etc., or do you need more advice on the best ports of Unix/Linux tools to Windows?

well i am going to upload one of the files to see if anyone on here can open it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22
I don't know how much will this help, but...

You can try installing Windows services for UNIX (on Windows 7). It'll install the UNIX terminal with mentioned file command. Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> turn Windows features on or off -> select Windows services for UNIX -> reboot then just go to start menu and select the shell (csh, korn shell etc). (if it won't install anything, download this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2391)

I once had installed it on Windows 7 and I was able to use UNIX commands, including the file command.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:11 pm 
Donator

TheDosProgrammer wrote:
I don't know how much will this help, but...

You can try installing Windows services for UNIX (on Windows 7). It'll install the UNIX terminal with mentioned file command. Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> turn Windows features on or off -> select Windows services for UNIX -> reboot then just go to start menu and select the shell (csh, korn shell etc). (if it won't install anything, download this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2391)

I once had installed it on Windows 7 and I was able to use UNIX commands, including the file command.

Firstly, I am not really sure what's the point of installing an entire UNIX subsystem just to use a single command. It's much more effective, as it has been said earlier in this topic, to pick up a compile of "file" for Win32 and grab the "magic" file from the latest version of your favorite distro. Secondly, you are suggesting to use an operating system component that hasn't even been included with a single version of Windows released in the past five years.

Of course, one can use lxss on Windows 10 but that still includes downloading a ~200 MB distro from Microsoft Store and now tell me: who is going to do that just to execute a single command?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Have you looked at the header inside? This can tell you some magic.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: i have a file type question for everyone        Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DOS
AlphaBeta wrote:
Of course, one can use lxss on Windows 10 but that still includes downloading a ~200 MB distro from Microsoft Store and now tell me: who is going to do that just to execute a single command?

I know we all like retro stuff, but unless your main desktop PC and Internet connection are retro too, I wouldn't think that 200MB would be a big deal. It might take a little while to download and install, but otherwise it seems like a nice simple solution that doesn't require much research or effort.

Top  Profile