BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 31d, 19h, 26m | CPU: 62% | MEM: 5807MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: How do you think will be the next big desktop OS?        Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
Almost everybody knows about the decision of MS for Windows to make it "A service", but I think someone will attempt to take advantage of this in the future (Or even now, who knows).

Google attempted to make place in the Desktop OS with their custom OS and hardware called ChromeOS (Which I doubt will beat Windows).

Apple has its own market share, and I don't think they do think to release OS 11 (Or OS XI), or if they will make same as MS.

And the Linux Distros, well, I doubt they will become something soon (As I see, the community is divided and almost all only Linux user will refuse to use or adapt to proprietary things like code)

The point is that no new desktop OS (With great impact) has been already present here for a long ago. But there could be indexes of something new, or well, at least we could imagine this.

So how do you think the next desktop OS will be? Will it be based in Linux? Will it be as Mac? WIll MS release something new to Windows?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: How do you think will be the next big desktop OS?        Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22
Quote:
I don't think they do think to release OS 11 (Or OS XI), or if they will make same as MS
They did that with OS X before M$. That's where the M$ got that idea of the "Windows as a service."
Quote:
The point is that no new desktop OS (With great impact) has been already present here for a long ago. But there could be indexes of something new, or well, at least we could imagine this.

Well, the trend is moving to the cloud computing (which I hate because of that damn slow Internet connection) and there's a lot of that IoT stuff. Google is working on something called FuchsiaOS (probably to replace ChromeOS) which is planned to be "an universal OS" (the same OS on computers and phones), but it would most likely take a lot of time to release it because now it's just a pile of placeholder images. M$ is trying to do the same thing (mobile apps on desktop) with Windows 10. Apple currently have no (known) plans to build a completely new OS (they'll probably keep macOS for now). Linux... will probably stay Linux... Desktop Environments are now working to make the UI more touch-friendly (Gnome, for example, reduced the clutter in its build-in apps to the minimum, making more space for bigger UI controls etc). Nothing so new here. We just have to wait and we'll see.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How do you think will be the next big desktop OS?        Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
TheDosProgrammer wrote:
They did that with OS X before M$. That's where the M$ got that idea of the "Windows as a service."

Well, OS X, and now macOS, aren't really the kind of service Microsoft likely has in mind. Because of the higher profit margins on hardware, Apple has decided that the operating system should be free, starting with Mavericks IIRC. Before that, just like Microsoft, they charged for each new version, albeit at a lower pricepoint than Windows, and not having a quatrillion different versions to confuse consumers with. What Microsoft is wanting to do, is more like Office 365 and Adobe Creative Cloud, where you pay monthly/yearly for the privilege of using the software, and instead of still releasing new Windows releases, like Apple still does with macOS, they just update Windows 10 indefinitely, likely at some point just dropping the "10" name and just calling it Windows. And that is something I frankly can't get behind, as I've found subscription based software a huge waste of money.

Will some other company jump in on the market to attempt to beat Microsoft? Maybe, but don't count on it. Other companies with massive marketshares have gotten away with switching from the regular incremental software upgrades every so often at regular prices, to monthly/yearly subscription models (I'm looking at you, Adobe). Microsoft could quite frankly do the same very easily. I still wonder if there's going to be a Windows 10 Long-Term Support version for consumers that will receive security updates, but no new features unlike the SaaS Windows 10, that can be purchased at once and isn't a SaaS model.

If another operating system jumps on it, it's probably going to be desktop Linux. While far, far from perfect, it's probably the most logical OS to do so, excluding switching from PC to Mac or Hackintoshing. For some other company to create their own OS and get a decent marketshare, in the modern desktop era, would take a lot of resources to go up against the Goliath that is Microsoft. Linux has yet to truly put a dent in the desktop marketshare, let alone some new competitor. And then I've been ignoring the fact that the desktop/laptop market is shrinking with more and more people primarily using their phones and tablets, two markets dominated by Google and Apple, further shrinking the chances of a new, competitive desktop operating system.

Top  Profile