BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 15h, 47m | CPU: 17% | MEM: 1999MB of 3613MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Top 10 of Internet threats        Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:37 pm 
And again the big return of the Top 10 threats detected during the
February 2008 by the laboratories BitDefender. At the head of
Platoon, we find this time not a single but a malware
All threats known as Packer.Malware.NSAnti.K.
These threats have been grouped under a single
Name because they use a compression and encryption
Identical.

The second position is up for its part of the Trojan horse Peed / Storm with over 16% of detections.

"The creators of viruses using compression tools
With the aim of reducing the size of the virus and increase
Resources for their detection - decompress an element that has
Been packed with a method still uncommon requires much
Time and skills, "says Sorin Dudea, Director of Research Laboratories at BitDefender antivirus.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
I already heard that Win32.Parite.B destroyed Danielxv's OS collection. My solution isn't to switch browsers, since it's a stupid idea and is only a temporary solution, but to install good security software.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:18 pm 
Administrator

Switching browser isn't a solution, but part of it. By not using a browser known for its weaknesses when it comes to automatically running arbitrary scripts and executables sure helps a bit. But the most important when it comes to protecting yourself from viruses and trojans are some common sense.

Get a good antivirus software, AVG, Nod32, Kasperskys etc. I know by experience that Norton doesn't cut it, if it doesn't eat up all your resources it will ignore some threats. It's my own experience with it.

Get a good anti-trojan software as well. I use a combo of Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy (both freeware). The latter has a freeware util included that will warn you with a popup if any app tries to write to the registry, trojans often do this to be able to autolaunch when booting. Run these apps often and keep them updated.

Don't click and run every popup window. Get a good popup stopper, and preferrably something that blocks ads too, ads are a good source of autodownloading scripts and malware. (I use Firefox for both). If I get a suspecting popup I usually use ALT-F4 to kill it than clicking any possibly fake [X] button (which spawns more crap).

_IF_ you have to exec something then make sure it's not infected. For larger stuff I usually run a VM with a recovery option set, so everytime I reboot the VM it's restored to a default state erasing all changes.

Be aware of odd filenames and applications. If I happen to see a file named for example "Vista universal crack.exe" or "Steam crack.exe" or whatever, my [censored]'o'meter screams and I avoid it. And if I happen to download it my antivir app (AVG) usually screams and tells me I am an idiot for downloading the file :)

And perhaps the most important tip... BACKUP. Keep a clean backup somewhere if you want to keep the stuff in case of an infection or hardware failure. There is nothing more painful than sitting there listening to a clicking harddrive knowing that your lifes collection of rare betas are on it (been there).

The last time I had an infection was back in 1998. I lost about 10GB of data (lots back then), all my files I had saved were infected, my old BBS, old apps I coded earlier etc. Practically 5 years of computing went to hell.

I always keep a write-protected USB memory with all vital tools, and I install these before I even connect my ethernet cable to the computer. That way I got antivir app and everything running before installing the rest.

Listings: Online :: Offline
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:31 pm 
Donator

Well, also, if you use Windows Security properly, the best a nasty virus/trojan/little sibling can do is wipe out your My Documents.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 am 
FTP Access

RentedMule wrote:
Well, also, if you use Windows Security properly, the best a nasty virus/trojan/little sibling can do is wipe out your My Documents.

For most of us, that's life threatening right there!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
ftgba2244 wrote:
RentedMule wrote:

For most of us, that's life threatening right there!

Surely then, You'd back up your documents regularly?

Top  Profile  WWW