BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 11h, 49m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 4175MB of 10279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules


Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:30 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 am

Posts
271

Location
Tlajomulco de Zuñiga, Jalisco, Mexico.

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
I've downloaded some software but I can see that there is software that requires serial numbers and I have to get 'em from the Internet. And I'm pretty curious why these are not distributed with the software too. I understand there is some software that was uploaded without a serial because "he" or "she" lost it but there is some very old software that has very weird serials and these aren't easy to get from the internet, and I don't like the cracks because they modify the program and it could be in a way that is unstable or unusable. So, I think this has been answered somewhere but I have not time enough to search for it and I'm asking with few knowledge about the theme, so please be friendly answering my question, I'm not attacking anyone so please be answer-friendly


Last edited by SistemaRayoXP on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:56 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Posts
7387
We don't allow any personal licenses to be distributed with the abandonware. Our goal is not to allow you to run pirated games or apps, our goal is to preserve the software. It's up to you to find a suitable license if you want to run that software, we only provide the binaries.

If any personal licenses exists for beta software then these will be removed as well. Only proven public licenses will be allowed, and if any public licenses are allowed for abandonware then proof of the software being freeware (with the license) must be provided.

_________________
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Tools: Alcohol120% (Portable)
Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri May 09, 2014 12:22 am

Posts
336

Location
USA

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
What's the point in preserving software if people won't be able to activate it years later?

_________________
Half-Life is a pretty good game.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:29 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:08 am

Posts
214

Favourite OS
4001
Because it will probably get us shut down. If we started allowing old licenses to be distributed it's not too much of problem as most companies don't want to waste money and resources on protecting the copyright of an ancient product. However, we never know what could happen, and it's better to stay on the safe side if this site is to remain up. And even if the companies that sold the products didn't mind, the hosting provider (Cloudflare) might have a problem and take down the site.

_________________
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:26 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri May 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Posts
815

Location
Southern Germany

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
MrFreeman wrote:
What's the point in preserving software if people won't be able to activate it years later?

Oh, it is very easy finding working keys elsewhere on the internet. This is not BA's mission, and it shouldn't, since there are hundreds of sites that you can get these keys if you really want to. Believe me, it's better this way.

_________________
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:38 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 am

Posts
271

Location
Tlajomulco de Zuñiga, Jalisco, Mexico.

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
So that means that for example Windows Longhorn 4074 has serial? Since it was distibuted with the same serial key in WinHEC 2004...


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:59 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri May 09, 2014 12:22 am

Posts
336

Location
USA

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Darkstar wrote:
Oh, it is very easy finding working keys elsewhere on the internet.


Oh, I know that's the case for many programs and windows versions.

Darkstar wrote:
This is not BA's mission, and it shouldn't, since there are hundreds of sites that you can get these keys if you really want to. Believe me, it's better this way.


Preserving keys for when it becomes harder in the future to find those keys, would actually help with software preservation. Maybe I'm thinking way too far ahead, but I don't think we should be so short sighted.

_________________
Half-Life is a pretty good game.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:54 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:08 am

Posts
214

Favourite OS
4001
MrFreeman wrote:
Darkstar wrote:
Oh, it is very easy finding working keys elsewhere on the internet.


Oh, I know that's the case for many programs and windows versions.

Darkstar wrote:
This is not BA's mission, and it shouldn't, since there are hundreds of sites that you can get these keys if you really want to. Believe me, it's better this way.


Preserving keys for when it becomes harder in the future to find those keys, would actually help with software preservation. Maybe I'm thinking way too far ahead, but I don't think we should be so short sighted.

Betaarchive is a preservation website, not a piracy website, as mrpijey and others have already made clear. If you don't like the policy, then go to another site that has the serials.

_________________
Pseudo-localized builds are awesome!


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:33 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Posts
7387
As I've said so many times before, our aim is not to allow you to run pirated software, but to provide you and the community with the binaries. What you do with these binaries is not our concern, take up cracking if you want to hack your own software and make it work, or find a license elsewhere.

I do preserve all the serials I can find but only for reference and if I need to verify a release or take screenshots, but the licenses will not be shared with anyone and anyone requesting them will be warned.

We already go out on a limb to preserve the software and that alone puts us (and more importantly, Andy and me) in a risk, we will not risk it any further by provide people with personal licenses that are not ours. No amount of discussion will ever change this as this is the absolute foundation of this community and we will rather shut it down permanently than start sharing serials and cracks.

_________________
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Tools: Alcohol120% (Portable)
Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:13 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 am

Posts
271

Location
Tlajomulco de Zuñiga, Jalisco, Mexico.

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
Noone answered my question. WIndows Lonhgorn 4074 and other versions had a "public serial" for a group, I'm not sure if it was for everyone in WinHEC or just for a little group, but this serial was "public" because it didn't linked any personal info and that could mean that as mrpijey wrote:
mrpijey wrote:
Only proven public licenses will be allowed, and if any public licenses are allowed for abandonware then proof of the software being freeware (with the license) must be provided.

So that means that serials like the Windows Longhorn 4074 serial distributed publically to many people (And taking into consideration the same serial was distributed to many pople) that means that this serial and similar serials are avaible in BetaArchive?


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:18 pm 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Posts
7387
If the serial can be proven to be a public one (and no, having it spread to a lot of people doesn't mean it's a public one, only a widely leaked one) then it can be included with the release yes.

_________________
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Tools: Alcohol120% (Portable)
Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:48 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri May 09, 2014 12:22 am

Posts
336

Location
USA

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
whistler2250 wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:
Darkstar wrote:
Oh, it is very easy finding working keys elsewhere on the internet.


Oh, I know that's the case for many programs and windows versions.

Darkstar wrote:
This is not BA's mission, and it shouldn't, since there are hundreds of sites that you can get these keys if you really want to. Believe me, it's better this way.


Preserving keys for when it becomes harder in the future to find those keys, would actually help with software preservation. Maybe I'm thinking way too far ahead, but I don't think we should be so short sighted.

Betaarchive is a preservation website, not a piracy website, as mrpijey and others have already made clear. If you don't like the policy, then go to another site that has the serials.


I guess I'm speaking some foreign language because people seem to not understand what I'm saying; I'm not talking about "piracy", I'm talking about software preservation. But since the admins won't change their minds, I will stop trying.

_________________
Half-Life is a pretty good game.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why there are not serials avaible?        Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:05 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Posts
7387
We understand you very well, doesn't change the fact that we won't distribute any keys, keygens, cracks or tools to bypass the license protections.

_________________
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Tools: Alcohol120% (Portable)
Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter


Top  Profile  WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS