BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 12h, 22m | CPU: 42% | MEM: 5548MB of 10732MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Going to get a GMA900/950. Should I?        Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
Hey all,

My friend at school is going to give me a Intel GMA 900 or 950 gfx card, i heard it is good for DWM or something, so i think i would through it down on my test machine and put LH4074 or something Vista-aero-longhorn-ish.

So, bottom line, should i get the GFX Card?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:30 pm 
FTP Access

He's going to have a hard time giving it to you as it's onboard...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4015.lab06
No, he has a few like sitting around.

I think he took it out of some machines. But, if i get it, can i put it in my test machine?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:51 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Its more of an integrated chip... Traditionally its physically sodered onto your board and nibbles at your ram when it needs to do graphics operations.

The bottom line that as a graphics card this chip fails. YET, as an onboard chip its usable...

Don't expect to be playing any games, consider instead to buy an 8600 from nVidia or possible a GeForce 7950 GX2 if you want high performance and have a low budget.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:04 am 
FTP Access

Frozenport wrote:
Its more of an integrated chip... Traditionally its physically sodered onto your board and nibbles at your ram when it needs to do graphics operations.

The bottom line that as a graphics card this chip fails. YET, as an onboard chip its usable...

Don't expect to be playing any games, consider instead to buy an 8600 from nVidia or possible a GeForce 7950 GX2 if you want high performance and have a low budget.

The chip is physically soldered on to the motherboard, so your friend can't give one to you (unless he's giving you the board).

Its terrible for anything really, I'm not even sure if it works for DWM. :o I would get a 7300GT if you really want DWM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130025

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:13 am 
Donator

If DWM's requirements are at least somewhat similar to Aero's, I can tell you Aero works absolutely fine on a GMA950 here (which is only available as an on-board solution, no separate cards exist). Gaming's a bit of problem unless you're satisfied with an 800x600 resolution or something along these lines. Older games tend to run fine on higher resolutions, though.

Dr Eggman, if the card he's referring to is an ADD2 card, it's worthless as it is only an extension to the on-board GPU to expand its connection capabilities.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
It's an integrated card... he can't give you one unless he gives you a new motherboard, it's crap anyway I highly recommend you get an 8500 GT or 8600 GT from NVIDIA, those will run DWM excellent. (my 8600 GT does anyway)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
The GMA 900 will not run Aero, its capable but no WDDM driver was released for this paticula card. However from what i have read on the net some beta versions of Vista support Aero with this card, the GMA 950 should run Aero fine.

I have to agree with what everyone else is saying and tell you to get a cheap ATI or Nvidia card... i belive this GMA cards are built in to the motherboard anyway....

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:46 am 
FTP Access

If you're looking for a motherboard, get one with an X4500, I heard those support SM4.0 and DX10

Top  Profile