BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 32d, 1h, 58m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5781MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP2
My desk has come a long way to get to this point, started as a desk with two laptops with one acting as a web server (pictures available). Currently the desk has a case-modded PowerMac G5 (2016), a Toshiba laptop (2014), a noisy HP Proliant DL360 G3 (2003), and a few gaming consoles along with a RPI 2. Not pictured are an additional HP laptop (2005), a HP thin-client (2004), and a NAXA Windows 10 tablet (2016). If I had a wider desk, I probably would have it all up here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Chad Edition/macOS Chad
yourepicfailure wrote:
*CTX display*

Offtopic Comment
Man I used to have one of their higher end 19" or 20" CRTs many moons ago, with the BNC connectors, USB hub and dual display input. Really cool stuff for an old 1600x1200. Memories! Also is that an IBM based Cisco host? Only ever seen the HP ones which were terrible.

My home work/play desk at present:
[And yes the ambient lighting does help me stay awake on long sessions]
Ditched making a video for now as I have a lot of projects that need my time and attention. This is a great break distraction in the meantime from writing APIs!

I'd share my prestaging lab desk but it's embarrassingly messy, plus it's nothing too exciting as I only build servers on it. It's the same desk as the one further back in the thread, just the servers are hidden off to the right.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
>Soulman
Server's a Cisco C250 M2.
As for the CRT, I would've liked to have had the 19" pr711, but well. The crt has convergence problems on the right, as well as some electron straying. Some day I'll open, clean, and maybe replace some popping capacitors. Could probably squeeze another decade out of that tube.

Home desk:
Doing some darkroom work. Developing a small test print from a new piece of equipment to test for light leaks(which it failed).
Contrary to popular belief, you can only use a red safelight when developing certain films and papers. All others get exposed by the red light.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
yourepicfailure wrote:
Home desk:
Doing some darkroom work. Developing a small test print from a new piece of equipment to test for light leaks(which it failed).
Contrary to popular belief, you can only use a red safelight when developing certain films and papers. All others get exposed by the red light.

Offtopic Comment
Can't find anything on the Cisco C250 M2 wrt matching part numbers. Curious to know what they based that one off.

Nice to see someone still developing too! I had to abandon my Durst enlarger setup and the plans to build a full darkroom again, but at least I still stand develop my Ilfords in the bathroom. It's good practice (even with 5x4 and SFX series films with extended reds) to do the develop step in complete darkness and use red light on stop and fix (or just do it in a tank and use a changing bag which is miles easier, I even did 5x4 that way). B&W papers don't tend to have this issue, unless you get something that's got an extended red sensitivity. Colour's a completely different kettle of fish altogether though.

For enlarging without a safe light, I used to keep a spare piece of paper to align with the easel and focus on - then black out and do test strips - once i landed it in the develop bath and agitated the tray enough, you could get away with kicking the switch to turn the safe light back on while you stabilise the print. Eventually, a couple of drafts, some bent paperclips with cut up card on the end, the master would be ready to duplicate!

I remember using this space at college because it was much less cramped than the part-attic conversion. Enlargers were pretty much the same, Durst M605s with Schneider lenses all around. This room had 80mms if I remember correctly, so it was ideal for doing medium format enlargements.

I found an ancient picture of an old setup, which I uploaded a few years ago, which was used just before I got the bench installed to go the entire length of the room.
https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .24387.jpg
I remember pulling the cmd keys off that Apple keyboard to stop me accidentally invoking the start menu while playing games! That side panel was also stopping the desk from buckling as it was a cheap old aluminium job.
Memories of XP and WLM right there!

More procrastination resulted in me actually making a video.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
AIX
Uhm... yea... no really a fan of desks.

On the left a Dell Precision i7, in the middle a Centrino IBM Thinkpad and on the right a Celeron IBM Thinkpad. The setup for tonight. There are plenty of other to choose from. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 6.2
The current desk.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
Might as well bring some love to this thread.

Desk as of late:

What's strewn across it are parts of a Konvas 1kcp camera. Long story short, the mirror-shutter took some nasty hits and I have to tear down the camera to access it.
It's the shiny round object underneath the black screwdriver.

In case anyone actually cares:

On top is the reflective side, on the bottom is supposed to be the opaque side. As seen, light leaks through making this unusable for filming as it would expose the film when it shouldn't. Yes, I still use actual 35mm film.

Yippee. Now I get to "play" with some nitric acid and silver nitrate to re-silver it.
[self-censor]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Where's your computer? /s :P

Offtopic Comment
That shutter resembles half of a hard disk platter plus the spindle it is attached to

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
computebrute wrote:
Where's your computer? /s :P

Quote:
A desk is a desk, computer or not.

I do a lot on this desk, not just computer or paperwork.

Image is small for a reason!

In this image, there is a computer as I'm... 'cadding?' up plans for another camera mirror-shutter. Original was plastic, so a 3D printed one would make little difference.
You can make out one of the schematics on the right.

And that is not windows 10. It is Server 2016.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
Haven't posted in this topic for a while, So I thought I'd post my setup today.

A shot of the whole main desk setup (top from left to right on systems that are setup: Dell Dimension 4300S, HP DC7800, and a Mac Mini.):

And a picture of the bottom of the desk (from left to right: Power Macintosh G4, Custom-Built AMD64 Rig, HP Photosmart C4480 Printer/Scanner, and a Dell Inspiron case that I plan on using for a modern build.):

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Working from home today :)
bonus: watercooled external graphics card (GTX 1080)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:05 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
did you build that loop yourself?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
computebrute wrote:
did you build that loop yourself?

yup

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25