BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 15d, 22h, 43m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 5432MB of 11686MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP2
My desk has come a long way to get to this point, started as a desk with two laptops with one acting as a web server (pictures available). Currently the desk has a case-modded PowerMac G5 (2016), a Toshiba laptop (2014), a noisy HP Proliant DL360 G3 (2003), and a few gaming consoles along with a RPI 2. Not pictured are an additional HP laptop (2005), a HP thin-client (2004), and a NAXA Windows 10 tablet (2016). If I had a wider desk, I probably would have it all up here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:15 pm 
Donator

yourepicfailure wrote:
*CTX display*

Offtopic Comment
Man I used to have one of their higher end 19" or 20" CRTs many moons ago, with the BNC connectors, USB hub and dual display input. Really cool stuff for an old 1600x1200. Memories! Also is that an IBM based Cisco host? Only ever seen the HP ones which were terrible.

My home work/play desk at present:
[And yes the ambient lighting does help me stay awake on long sessions]
Ditched making a video for now as I have a lot of projects that need my time and attention. This is a great break distraction in the meantime from writing APIs!

I'd share my prestaging lab desk but it's embarrassingly messy, plus it's nothing too exciting as I only build servers on it. It's the same desk as the one further back in the thread, just the servers are hidden off to the right.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
>Soulman
Server's a Cisco C250 M2.
As for the CRT, I would've liked to have had the 19" pr711, but well. The crt has convergence problems on the right, as well as some electron straying. Some day I'll open, clean, and maybe replace some popping capacitors. Could probably squeeze another decade out of that tube.

Home desk:
Doing some darkroom work. Developing a small test print from a new piece of equipment to test for light leaks(which it failed).
Contrary to popular belief, you can only use a red safelight when developing certain films and papers. All others get exposed by the red light.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:00 pm 
Donator

yourepicfailure wrote:
Home desk:
Doing some darkroom work. Developing a small test print from a new piece of equipment to test for light leaks(which it failed).
Contrary to popular belief, you can only use a red safelight when developing certain films and papers. All others get exposed by the red light.

Offtopic Comment
Can't find anything on the Cisco C250 M2 wrt matching part numbers. Curious to know what they based that one off.

Nice to see someone still developing too! I had to abandon my Durst enlarger setup and the plans to build a full darkroom again, but at least I still stand develop my Ilfords in the bathroom. It's good practice (even with 5x4 and SFX series films with extended reds) to do the develop step in complete darkness and use red light on stop and fix (or just do it in a tank and use a changing bag which is miles easier, I even did 5x4 that way). B&W papers don't tend to have this issue, unless you get something that's got an extended red sensitivity. Colour's a completely different kettle of fish altogether though.

For enlarging without a safe light, I used to keep a spare piece of paper to align with the easel and focus on - then black out and do test strips - once i landed it in the develop bath and agitated the tray enough, you could get away with kicking the switch to turn the safe light back on while you stabilise the print. Eventually, a couple of drafts, some bent paperclips with cut up card on the end, the master would be ready to duplicate!

I remember using this space at college because it was much less cramped than the part-attic conversion. Enlargers were pretty much the same, Durst M605s with Schneider lenses all around. This room had 80mms if I remember correctly, so it was ideal for doing medium format enlargements.

I found an ancient picture of an old setup, which I uploaded a few years ago, which was used just before I got the bench installed to go the entire length of the room.
https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .24387.jpg
I remember pulling the cmd keys off that Apple keyboard to stop me accidentally invoking the start menu while playing games! That side panel was also stopping the desk from buckling as it was a cheap old aluminium job.
Memories of XP and WLM right there!

More procrastination resulted in me actually making a video.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
AIX
Uhm... yea... no really a fan of desks.

On the left a Dell Precision i7, in the middle a Centrino IBM Thinkpad and on the right a Celeron IBM Thinkpad. The setup for tonight. There are plenty of other to choose from. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 6.2
The current desk.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
Might as well bring some love to this thread.

Desk as of late:

What's strewn across it are parts of a Konvas 1kcp camera. Long story short, the mirror-shutter took some nasty hits and I have to tear down the camera to access it.
It's the shiny round object underneath the black screwdriver.

In case anyone actually cares:

On top is the reflective side, on the bottom is supposed to be the opaque side. As seen, light leaks through making this unusable for filming as it would expose the film when it shouldn't. Yes, I still use actual 35mm film.

Yippee. Now I get to "play" with some nitric acid and silver nitrate to re-silver it.
[self-censor]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Where's your computer? /s :P

Offtopic Comment
That shutter resembles half of a hard disk platter plus the spindle it is attached to

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
computebrute wrote:
Where's your computer? /s :P

Quote:
A desk is a desk, computer or not.

I do a lot on this desk, not just computer or paperwork.

Image is small for a reason!

In this image, there is a computer as I'm... 'cadding?' up plans for another camera mirror-shutter. Original was plastic, so a 3D printed one would make little difference.
You can make out one of the schematics on the right.

And that is not windows 10. It is Server 2016.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
Haven't posted in this topic for a while, So I thought I'd post my setup today.

A shot of the whole main desk setup (top from left to right on systems that are setup: Dell Dimension 4300S, HP DC7800, and a Mac Mini.):

And a picture of the bottom of the desk (from left to right: Power Macintosh G4, Custom-Built AMD64 Rig, HP Photosmart C4480 Printer/Scanner, and a Dell Inspiron case that I plan on using for a modern build.):

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:42 pm 
Donator

Working from home today :)
bonus: watercooled external graphics card (GTX 1080)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:05 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
did you build that loop yourself?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 pm 
Donator

computebrute wrote:
did you build that loop yourself?

yup

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 with Tahoma font
Unfortunately, I lost all of my desk photos from 1996-2008. :cry: Coincidentally (/s) 2009 is when I got into datahoarding! :D

2016-2018

2019:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
Guess I'm extremely late for the party, but I think I'll show off my "computing area".

Main setup
Yes, I have one of those L-shaped desks. The left section is the main desktop area. The right side is the paperwork section. And yes, I'm one of those people who have LED light strips on their desk. I can actually set it to all different colors, but I chose blue light for this picture. Plus, it's probably strange to see someone like me have a TV on their desk as well.

Computing section
This is where my monitor, keyboard/mouse, microphone, headphone stand, headphone amplifier, and monitor stand are. And yes, those are soundproof acoustic panels on my wall.

Paperwork section
This part of the desk is where I do stuff like homework on.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1
This is my desk, he is pretty old now but I bought a keyboard and mouse last year. Sorry for the bad quality of photo.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
This is my desk:

And for anyone asking, that's just paint on the PC :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
Found my old DCS420 (almost 30 year old digital camera) and wanted to test it, so here you go:

The basics, and that's the way I like it. No fancy "ambient" lighting or weird little gizmos (except maybe the tama).
The lamp? It's a ~100 year old vintage kerosene, non-destructively converted electric. The hand-painted delft ball shade is oddly worth more than the rest.
I do have one with a similar burner, not converted because it has a glass font. Sometimes I switch them out and use the oil one. The oil is about as bright as a 30w light bulb.

And an alternate from a 15 year old camera, since it looks like the sensor is misaligned on the DCS420 (image is out of focus):

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074

Bit of a crappy picture, and it's a bit of a mess, but this is my current desk setup. It's an old IKEA model, Matteus desk, got it over a decade ago and it's been out of catalogue for pretty much most of the time since. However, it's been a pretty solid desk, despite being a bit beaten up after all those years. The keyboard tray rails and drawer rails both have let go, but I don't really use either so I haven't bother fixing that.

Currently it's got my PowerMac G5 Quad in the computer cubby, my main PC in its Antec P280 case on the right side (I will probably move it elsewhere to free up space, it's a bit of a behemoth compared to the NZXT case my PC used to be in), my pleb LG Flatron IPS234 monitor in the center, and my retro computer space on the left has one of my C64s set up. The terrible paintjob on the C64 was done by a dumb younger me about five years ago, I got the C64 as my second one at a thrift and it had a sticker near the keyboard that fell off. It exposed the yellowing of the case pretty badly, so I decided to paint the area around the keyboard red to hide it and have a custom C64. It's not a very neat job, and I'm tempted to get it off, but I also kinda like the color scheme and might just neaten it up. The Commodore 1702 monitor is the one I got with my original C64G (breadbin with white keyboard and newer revision chips) for my 9th birthday in 2007.

There's a bunch of other crap on my desk, like some IN-12 nixie tubes I got for a nixie clock kit I'll be buying soon, my soldering kit I used today to repair one of my C64 PSUs (replaced the often faulty 5V regulator with a modern UBEC switch mode regulator), and other crap from my work on my retro computers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
Schneider616 wrote:
And for anyone asking, that's just paint on the PC :)

I don't see paint on that PC, it's just black like a lot of modern desktops. But if you're referring to the black coating on there, then I might see what you're talking about ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:24 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 6.2
My current Mac setup. Currently moving, so things are a little sparse.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 6.2
As a bit of an addendum from my previous post, here's my current setup at the new place with my PC in place. The iMac was just a temporary setup. Feels like home with this setup now.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
beanboy89 wrote:
As a bit of an addendum from my previous post, here's my current setup at the new place with my PC in place. The iMac was just a temporary setup. Feels like home with this setup now.

Ha, that looks like a nice way to display your desktop case, putting it on a small table. I do something similar with my desktop, but I have it sit on a black wooden board on the floor.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
Here's an update on my main desk (well, not a large update, but a tiny one, because there's only one little thing that's new to my setup :P).

What's different about my setup is, I'm now using another mouse. It's a gray and black Logitech mouse...

other than my other black Dell mouse my main PC previously had. I decided to switch mice because that mouse I use now is more effective than my other one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Social: What does your desk look like?        Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
It's been some time and I have rearranged my desk. Since I am a console fan as well as PC, I added all the machines I use - 2 classic PS3s, a Wii, and a OG Xbox. There's a laptop in there as well, an Acer Aspire 6530G (which currently needs a new LCD screen, otherwise working just fine w/ 4GB RAM, GF8600M GT 512MB, and running Win7 x64 on a 500GB HGST drive)

Top  Profile
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25