BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 52d, 20h, 45m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 6121MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: HP sucks...        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I have something to rant about regarding my "new" HP DV6500 laptop.

I bought this computer shortly after thanksgiving, and I decided it would be a good idea to purchase recovery DVD's. I was forced to use it several times. It took about 6 hours to do a restore, and over 90% of the time the restore would fail, so it would take, on average, about 18 hours to get my laptop back up and running. Well, I had to use it again last weekend, and after 5 1/2 hours of waiting, I get thrown to the recovery software, telling me my computer was unusable because "AOL 9.0 Free Trial" failed to install. I tried about 5 more times that weekend, and it never completed because it failed on different setups for HP's bloatware. So, for now, im using a 30 day demo of Windows Vista...

Does anybody else EVER get computers that come with, at least i think, over 20gb of "Bonus" software, that prevent you from using your computer if their not installed? I HATE HP!!!!!!

OK, now I feel better after ranting about hp, lol :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:35 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Firstly, you are not forced to use the recovery disks. I always when I get a new pc, format it, and stick a fresh, unbranded copy of the OS onto it. I for one hate the crap they put on them. Also, why did you pay for the recovery disks? I'm sure they have to provide them for free if you ask.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
no, unfortunately, i have to use the recovery cd's because the OS can't be activated using the product key on the computer unless i contact Microsoft, and even when I did that, they told me to contact HP, when i did that, they told me to call Microsoft 8-) . And, after looking into it, HP will not provide free recovery CD's, you have to pay $20, and even though, the only work 10% of the time

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:40 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
It can be activated, but you phone MS on a free phone number. It only takes a few minutes and you shouldn't have any issues after that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:47 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
i did, they told me that hp would have to solve my activation problem, and hp said it was microsoft's fault

i dont feel like calling hp or microsoft back, honestly, I think both of their support departments suck, lol- this happened a few years ago on my aunt's pavillion too, i was forced to crack it, or her computer wouldn't be usable 8-)

honestly, I think activation is more of a hassle then an anti-piracy measure, because if somebody wants to pirate vista/xp, they will be able to crack it, and its usually only innocent customers who experience the trouble microsoft intended for pirates to go through

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:49 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Its an automated phone service for activation. You enter the code on the screen and they give you an activation code. Couldn't be simpler. You only get put through to a support person if you keep reactivating it all the time. Even then you just go through the same with a human and they reactivate you...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am 
FTP Access

You could always get the HP MAK, or extract it from the image that is installed from the recovery discs, and use it with an Anytime Upgrade DVD or any regular Vista DVD (they are the same disc).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:06 am 
Administrator

As a general rule one should always toss out the OEM trash when getting a brand computer. Reinstall Windows, use the serial on the back, get new drivers. If possible get the drivers directly from the manufacturer, not the OEM (Dell, HP etc doesn't make any hardware, they use other companies hardware, like Broadcom/Intel for network, Intel/AMD/Nvidia for video etc). OEM:s are always several months/years behind with the driver revisions.

All this requires some skills tho, so if you don't know how let someone else do it for you. Once the config is complete you can always take a snapshot of the harddrive using Symantec Ghost (or anything alike) and put it on a bootable CD/DVD. That way you got a working system to recover from.

In case of Vista activation, all you need is an original OEM (in your case, HP) pre-activated version of Vista. It will read the SLIC table off your BIOS and see that you got an "original" HP, and activate itself, without fuss.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:26 am 
Donator

HP provides tools to make a recovery disc. I made one for him when my dad got a HP desktop. I don't find that HP computers have any problem even with their OEM windows vista since the windows was never reinstall.

I get more problems with my Windows XP with my custom computer.
Also, all OEM computer uses sysprep images to install with one genetic product key. If you reinstall your windows with a microsoft oem copy, you will have to activate with phone (usually internet activation is disable).

If you don't like vista, go install XP. Vista is pretty trash with a bunch of crap installed on it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:03 am 
FTP Access

I would imagine that if you have to buy or create the recovery discs yourself it should auto generate the proper key and insert it into the disc image. Am I wrong?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:37 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
well, i tried making spare recovery discs, i went through about 20 dvds and gave up after the software kept telling me every disc it burned was corrupt

as for the generating key, it has one on the disc that hp uses on most, if not all, of their computers and windows will check the bios then activate if it is an hp computer, the problem i had was that I could not get it to activate and microsoft's support representatives i was forwarded to after trying to activate over the phone refused to help me activate it (i made sure i installed the same edition of vista, home premium, that came on the computer) and they told me to contact HP and request recovery media, so thats where my problem comes from

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:47 am 
Donator

benny1091 wrote:
well, i tried making spare recovery discs, i went through about 20 dvds and gave up after the software kept telling me every disc it burned was corrupt

as for the generating key, it has one on the disc that hp uses on most, if not all, of their computers and windows will check the bios then activate if it is an hp computer, the problem i had was that I could not get it to activate and microsoft's support representatives i was forwarded to after trying to activate over the phone refused to help me activate it (i made sure i installed the same edition of vista, home premium, that came on the computer) and they told me to contact HP and request recovery media, so thats where my problem comes from

did you tell them you're reactivating an oem copy?

This is where I say "go get a crack," even though it's illegal :P
Customers shouldn't be treated like this after paying big bucks.

Last edited by XDude on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:53 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
yea, they told me to contact the oem and ask for new recovery media

EDIT: well, even though it is illegal, i "patched" my copy of vista using the OEM BIOS hack (aka Windows Vista Developer Activation). I'm done dealing with them (ms and hp). While the computer is good and windows is, alright, all i can do is imagine how much easier it would be if i paid $400 more and got a macbook, lol- at least apple isn't as strict about piracy as microsoft is. But, thats pointless to say, because comparing Apple to Microsoft is like comparing an Apple to an orange :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:09 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I wonder why you had to use your recovery cd so many times? Had you baught an Apple, the flimsy thing would be broken by now :D
-===============-

Contrary to this guy, I felt HP to be the best OEM. I have purchased many of their products for me and my friends. Unlike, Dell, Fujitsu, Toshiba, Asus or even Apple I have never had a problem with a HP laptop. Never...

Infact, the only problem I have had with HP was with my Jornada 720; After about 8 years of working (which is a lot for a gadget), the keyboard died. HP support gave me instructions on how to replace it...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
hmm... my j720 is working fine, lol

i had to use the recovery cd so many times because it turns on there was a video of "questionable content" on a backup disc of mine that had a virus bundled with it :x. so after i would restore it, i would try to reload my backups, and of course, the virus would come back. my recovery cd though never worked right, because, like i said before, the first time i used it it took like 3 times to get it to complete the restore successfully

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:55 pm 
Donator

Strange, I insert my (XP) recovery disk, boot, click complete restore and voila ~ 1 hour later it is done - I never had any problems

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:23 pm 
Donator

what i hate about OEM's is that they have a hdd partition that you can't see but they make it about 3gb too large. Like on my new laptop, it has 10gb set a side (isn't hidden) but only about 1gb is used

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:28 pm 
FTP Access

___ wrote:
what i hate about OEM's is that they have a hdd partition that you can't see but they make it about 3gb too large. Like on my new laptop, it has 10gb set a side (isn't hidden) but only about 1gb is used

Just delete all the partitions and install a fresh Vista as soon as you get it ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:46 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
___ wrote:

Just delete all the partitions and install a fresh Vista as soon as you get it ;)

Same on my machine. A 7gb recovery partition with about 1gb used. Better yet, when I accidentally booted into the WinPE 2.0 OS installed on there, it complained about a missing file. :? I'll either delete that partition or put eCS on there I guess.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
benny1091 wrote:
i did, they told me that hp would have to solve my activation problem, and hp said it was microsoft's fault

i dont feel like calling hp or microsoft back, honestly, I think both of their support departments suck, lol- this happened a few years ago on my aunt's pavillion too, i was forced to crack it, or her computer wouldn't be usable 8-)

honestly, I think activation is more of a hassle then an anti-piracy measure, because if somebody wants to pirate vista/xp, they will be able to crack it, and its usually only innocent customers who experience the trouble microsoft intended for pirates to go through

actually....

is HP stupid support how always do that
so what you need is the HP Cert and they on your Vista PC
and it will activate
PM me so i can send u the cert
and tell you wat to do to activate anyversion of Vista u have
on that crappy HP

and yes i hate HP too...
they suck so damn bad that this core 2 duo sometimes is slower than a Pentium D
and this one has 2gb on ram!!!
but anyways send me a PM :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:52 am 
Donator

SaT wrote:
benny1091 wrote:

actually....

is HP stupid support how always do that
so what you need is the HP Cert and they on your Vista PC
and it will activate
PM me so i can send u the cert
and tell you wat to do to activate anyversion of Vista u have
on that crappy HP

and yes i hate HP too...
they suck so damn bad that this core 2 duo sometimes is slower than a Pentium D
and this one has 2gb on ram!!!
but anyways send me a PM :)

1) I woulndt trust PMing anything about activating Vista (probably an attempt to steal keys etc
2) Its not HP's fault your prcoessor is slow.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:02 am 
Donator

Does anyone know how to turn off that recovery filter?

The one that says something like this...

Quote:
This partition contains files needed for recovery. Any change could prevent recovery later.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
Andy wrote:
Firstly, you are not forced to use the recovery disks. I always when I get a new pc, format it, and stick a fresh, unbranded copy of the OS onto it. I for one hate the crap they put on them. Also, why did you pay for the recovery disks? I'm sure they have to provide them for free if you ask.

i completely agree...wipe it and start over again...get rid of the HP bloatwarez....and about the recovery disc's, during the time i werked with HP from about 2003 til 2006, they never included the recovery disc's with any PC's, but they give you the option to create your own...which makes people even more upset...that have have to go and get dvd's to create there disc's...after they just bought a new PC...you can call the parts dept and get them...though it'll cost you!

from what i understand HP did it to cut down on the amount of cd/dvd's out there...which makes no sense to me...but whatever.....

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:42 am 
Donator

dj_cityboy wrote:
.and about the recovery disc's, during the time i werked with HP from about 2003 til 2006, they never included the recovery disc's with any PC's, but they give you the option to create your own...which makes people even more upset...that have have to go and get dvd's to create there disc's...after they just bought a new PC...you can call the parts dept and get them...though it'll cost you!

There are also other manufacturers that do this (1st time you boot up, nag you to create these discs). I agree, it makes people even more upset, but those who never use these discs anyway (such as me) have fewer useless discs floating around. It seems my laptop came with both a recovery DVD and a recovery partition on the HD though, but I never plan to use either.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:31 pm 
FTP Access

Windows OCManage wrote:
Does anyone know how to turn off that recovery filter?

The one that says something like this...

Quote:
This partition contains files needed for recovery. Any change could prevent recovery later.

delete d:\autorun.inf ?

Top  Profile  WWW