BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 10h, 8m | CPU: 61% | MEM: 1989MB of 4617MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: High resolutions on an FLP machine and a Compaq V55 monitor        Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I've an old lab machine from college that was given to me, which I now use as my main desktop. I put Windows FLP on it, and just use it for mucking around with Virtual PC mainly, but I'd like to have a high resolution, like 1280x1024 at least, on it. I know the monitor can do absolutely daft resolutions (I think I had something like 1990x1440 or something on it once, on a piece of multiboot software), but I have not yet managed to persuade Windows to do it. I've tried new drivers, adding to the registry, whatever else, etc... but nothing works. Is there a way by which I can DEFINITELY get HIGH resolutions out of this monitor?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
http://toastytech.com/guis/miscb.html
first thing on the page is how some guy got windows 95 to display in widescreen format, maybe this could give you some ideas?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:52 pm 
FTP Access

teriaki 511 wrote:
http://toastytech.com/guis/miscb.html
first thing on the page is how some guy got windows 95 to display in widescreen format, maybe this could give you some ideas?

I think it depends more on the video card and drivers - I have Windows 95 in a virtual machine with the VMware Tools drivers installed and it offers the 1680x1050 of my monitor in Control Panel with no hacking or anything like that needed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I think it depends more on the video card and drivers - I have Windows 95 in a virtual machine with the VMware Tools drivers installed and it offers the 1680x1050 of my monitor in Control Panel with no hacking or anything like that needed.

i dunno, i was just thinking that a similar approach could force the other crazy resolutions to show up in FLP, marktuson already said that the monitor could do sizes like 1990x1440, so its just a matter of forcing control panel to show those resolutions

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:20 am 
Donator

Try windows update... (and for those that dont know, FLP just uses normal XP drivers)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:44 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
It maybe hardware related. You may simple not have enough graphics memory... or the graphics card can't do such a high resolution...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
It has done before though, on this machine (FreeBSD did it without me even asking it to, as did my old multiboot software); that's what I'm saying. I just want that resolution on Windows :).

Top  Profile