BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 11h, 59m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 2243MB of 4477MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Can I use Windows XP and others in my office?        Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
950, 3718, 6002, 7989, 9200
I want to open my own workplace where I'll have a couple of PCs.
I don't have money enough (for now) to buy Windows nor any other software and I need Windows because my co-workers can't work with any other environment. My question is - can I legally use any "abandonware" Windows version, also abandonware versions of other products, like Adobe Photoshop, Indesign and others? The same question goes for beta versions of any software - for example Windows 7 Build 7000 that is beta.

I'm not sure how clear I am but I hope you'll understand my question.

P.S. I tought about something else - can I install an Evaluation copy of Windows, for example the POS READY series or the Enterprises and after the 3-4 months of trial just to reinstall and how legal exactly this is.. ?

Best regards,
BlackVista.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I use Windows XP and others in my office?        Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I know you said your co-workers don't know anything else but Windows, but it wouldn't be hard to teach them how to use Linux. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are very noob friendly distros and it wouldn't take long to get a hang of it. Also, I don't think it would be smart for a business to run an outdated operating system.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I use Windows XP and others in my office?        Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MinWin
Of course you can use these, even legally if you own the license to the product you'd want to use or don't crack the timebomb in case of beta builds. The real question is, why would you do that? Wouldn't it be better to just crack a more recent version of Windows and the Adobe tools? You surely wouldn't have to care about Adobe tools' back compatibility if you used the same version as your co-workers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I use Windows XP and others in my office?        Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:55 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
If you have to question legality then no, its not legal. Abandonware isn't a word by software licencing books. If you acquired software from 20 years ago, to use it legally you'd have to purchase a key regardless of age and using old software in a production environment isn't exactly good practise. What i'm curious about is how you can afford employees to open up this "workplace" but not licensing.

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I use Windows XP and others in my office?        Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
950, 3718, 6002, 7989, 9200
The software licenses are expensive as.... to pay the rent, thr bills, to get PCs... and then the Software. That's why at this time I don't have money for that.

For thr Linux distrus - I don't want the productivity to went down because of someone who don't want to learn something new, also I need it for inDesign, Photoshop and other Adobe Products, also because of the same reason.

I found that I can aquire directly from MS Windows Embedded 2009, 7, POD Ready and others and I'll go this way... but the Adobe products are the problem now.... I guess I'll search for original media with keys second hand.

Thanks for helping out folks. :)

Изпратено от моят SM-G935F с помощта на Tapatalk

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I use Windows XP and others in my office?        Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP2
Relying on evaluation versions of Windows Embedded to run your "workplace" is a bad idea. The amount of downtime spent reinstalling Windows, migrating user data, and reinstalling applications every time the evaluation expires will not be beneficial to your "workplace".

You may want to consider using a Linux distro that is similar to Windows so that your workers aren't spending a ton of time learning how to use Linux. Zorin OS 9 Core provides a GUI that mimics Windows XP, 7 or 2000. Plus it comes with Wine preinstalled so you can run any Windows applications you need.

Alternatively, if your set on using Windows without paying for it, you could just install Windows 10 without a product key.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I use Windows XP and others in my office?        Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Most every machine sold by an OEM is licensed for some form of Windows. If you are using custom-built systems then of course that is not an option.

dsdude123 wrote:
Alternatively, if your set on using Windows without paying for it, you could just install Windows 10 without a product key.

That only works if you had a previous install of 10 activated at some point.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I use Windows XP and others in my office?        Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:13 pm 
Donator

Goldfish64 wrote:
That only works if you had a previous install of 10 activated at some point.

But you don't need to activate Windows to use it. It'll just nag (with the activation watermark for example), which of course probably will annoy the workers after a while, but oh well...

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I use Windows XP and others in my office?        Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2222A
I'm no lawyer, but here's my understanding:
-Abandonware: you can't use it in a business unless you bought the corresponding license (and make sure you have a valid receipt for it, in case someone comes asking for it).
-Trial/Eval: read the EULA; it may indicate you're only allowed to install once on a given device. Even if you can "legally" reinstall as much as you want, you'd be losing so much time doing that, it's cheaper to buy the license (remember: time is money).

Advice:
If you're buying PCs/laptops for the business, get them with Windows pre-installed; you'll be saving licensing fees there.
As for the Adobe apps, it is my understanding you can now buy them in subscription form, which means small monthly payments, so that should be a relief in your budget as well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I use Windows XP and others in my office?        Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn
Pretty much everything has been said in this thread already, but my 2 cents:

You can do that and it might work forever, but then again, you may also get real, real big problems. You might be sued for doing so, and then, you might lose everything, even private stuff, as you are responsible for legal things in your own company.

I'd really recommend teaching them linux, or buying the needed software, to prevent further problems and keep your good sleep.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I use Windows XP and others in my office?        Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I know this topic is several months old already, but here's a cheap copy of Windows 10 on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-10-Pro-PROFESSIONAL-64Bit-OEM-FULL-VERSION-/122696145342?epid=219522947&hash=item1c914299be:g:4IMAAOSwn1FZtC9-

Top  Profile