BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 61d, 21h, 44m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 5181MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:00 pm 
Administrator

My opinion about Me: TRASH.

Never had so many problems with Windows as with Me. I used to run Windows 98SE, which of course crashed and burned every now and then, but with Me it could die even at the installation. And it didn't really add anything new except some UI stuff. Apparently Microsoft thought it was trash too since they abandoned it so fast...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I ran it on an old Compaq Presario 5000 (733MHz Celeron, 64mb RAM) way back in the day... and stability was a little iffy at times. It was not like it crashed every day, but it did seem to crash randomly every now and then.

And remember when ME would disable your wallpaper and place this error message as your wallpaper? And then you had to click on "Restore my Active Desktop" in order to get your wallpaper back up.

In my very humble opinion, Me was simply trash. Even Windows 95 was so much more stable.

I'm glad I bought a copy of XP later that year... Even though XP itself was quite sluggish with only 64mb of RAM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Business
inxsfan92 wrote:
im using it right now.

im having no problems with it, after visiting windows update anyway

I would love to run it now to see how it can cope under the pressure of web developing....

I bet it wont run fireworks

happy dude wrote:
I used it daily, however at school, not at home. In year 6, our teacher brought in 4 or 5 computers (old ones) from home to use for us to type our work etc, and I would always use the WinME PC. It was quite pleasant actually. Was much better than the PC running Windows 95 A.

Ouch, Windows 95A.... Long time ago.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I never used Windows ME much - that is, I didn't have it installed on a computer of my own. However, when using friends' computers that had it, the OS always seemed to crash. There were countless times of it freezing and after doing a restart, the desktop would be white with that "restore your active desktop" message appearing. Little things like this always happened to him and annoyed him, as it would anyone I think. It seemed to work okay with games, but I don't think it was as stable as 98 SE in general.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
My dad has used Windows ME from the day it was released and is still using it! He isn't having problems like other people do.. I havent seen him BSOD once :P I keep telling him to use XP or something but he says THAT crashes more! Everytime I use it though I find it slow...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 pm 
I have had nothing but problems with Windows ME. Any system I had that was using it was migrated over to 2000 simply because I could not manage to get it stable at all. It used to BSOD Randomly and I could never find out what the errors were.

The OS was about as reliable as a Beta version of Windows 95

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Every windows version works fine here.

Maybe your hardware is fawlty or you run program not designed for windows me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I think to a certain extent, the hardware and user affects the reliability and stability far more than the OS, as most are pretty solid now days :)

I've never had a problem with ME, though admittedly, I haven't used it much.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:32 pm 
FTP Access

I see the problems begin. It look like comes back in Windows Vista. But that is still another story. Anyway, i had upgraded to Windows ME and after a few weeks I was upgraded back because the drivers for Windows ME were to worst. And then comes a really annoying problem! Drivers for my screen cannot be installed. I had to do that by myself but that failed. So I had to work at a screen with 800 x 600 wish still uses 640 x 400. I hate installing drivers. Thanks to Windows ME to make install drivers annoying.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I used Windows ME for over 2 years, I found it to be better than Windows 98. I quite like the system restore which came in handy at times! it crashed as much as Windows 98 for me!

Me was better than 98 but the day i got XP i wonderd how i ever used ME for aslong as i did.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
hounsell wrote:
I think to a certain extent, the hardware and user affects the reliability and stability far more than the OS, as most are pretty solid now days :)

I've never had a problem with ME, though admittedly, I haven't used it much.

I agree with you..

IMO, every person that I've seen with Windows ME has programs, viruses, etc. loaded to the brim..which in turn, causes it to crash alot and gives the OS its bad name

I am typing this off Windows ME now, and I have had no problems out of it..nothing, none, zilch.

for my laptop, it is very responsive and quick..and loads programs very fast

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:48 am 
FTP Access

I have a PC that won't run ME... won't run 98... won't run XP... won't run ubuntu... won't run elive... think it's bad ram.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:27 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
expert01 wrote:
I have a PC that won't run ME... won't run 98... won't run XP... won't run ubuntu... won't run elive... think it's bad ram.

My new pc is like that, It BSODs on anything other than Vista x86 or x64 :(

Top  Profile