BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 15h, 5m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 1842MB of 3173MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Your Opinion: Windows ME        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
I've heard a lot of horror stories over the years about Windows ME. Windows ME was the OS that was on most of the computers in our household over a certain period of time, and I must admit, I never understood why all the complaints. They ran as fine as any other DOS based OS I've ever used did.

So what's your opinion? Have any horror stories? Some good words for this infamously bad OS? I'd like to hear it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I've not actually had any bad things happen to me while using Windows Me. Infact, I've got it running on my P1 laptop,
Compaq Presario 1610, p1, 150mhz, 48mb ram.
Runs IrfanView and VLC Player
I've only had it crash when I remove the DVD from the drive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:32 pm 
Donator

It almost never crashed on my Packard Bell.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:43 pm 
Donator

I'm starting to suspect that Vista and ME suffer a similar problem (but for different reasons). Both Vista and ME aren't bad products per say, just aren't any huge changes for the user. Sure there are some odds and ends that are and look different but all in all it's a logical continuation of the previous version. Vista was seriously overhyped, disregard the hype and just look at the finished product and it's not that bad at all.

Note: I'm one of the "happy" Vista users who's had minor issues that either were caused by out of date drivers or has been fixed in SP1. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
i used windows millenium for about 3 years as my daily os, there are many reasons ME got a bad name, the "old school" didnt like it because win ME tried to lock you out of dos, which is stupid considering it is a dos based os, the "new school" hated it because it was based on dos! , another reason was that the windows millenium project was rushed out the door by mr william h gates because he didnt want anything to do with it, he was busy with his new baby - windows 2000 , if you want proof that windows millenium was rushed check the properties of the explorer in windows millenium edition, it still says windws 2000 ( they were to lazy to even recode the explorer as windows millenium edition ) as for vista, microsoft was totaly blind to the current operating system market, people are now looking for as much freedom and portability as they can get, not bloat and being locked into more and more BS like upgrading hardware to run a new os, having to install .net just run a app, DRM, draconian licenceing schemes, its not just about windows vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
betaluva wrote:
i used windows millenium for about 3 years as my daily os, there are many reasons ME got a bad name, the "old school" didnt like it because win ME tried to lock you out of dos, which is stupid considering it is a dos based os, the "new school" hated it because it was based on dos! , another reason was that the windows millenium project was rushed out the door by mr william h gates because he didnt want anything to do with it, he was busy with his new baby - windows 2000 , if you want proof that windows millenium was rushed check the properties of the explorer in windows millenium edition, it still says windws 2000 ( they were to lazy to even recode the explorer as windows millenium edition ) as for vista, microsoft was totaly blind to the current operating system market, people are now looking for as much freedom and portability as they can get, not bloat and being locked into more and more BS like upgrading hardware to run a new os, having to install .net just run a app, DRM, draconian licenceing schemes, its not just about windows vista.
While some of your points are valid, I'm not sure about some others. Are you sure about the Explorer window thing? Windows ME and Windows 2000 are two entirely different kernels - I'm not sure if there's any relation between the two OS's beside what it looks like. Also, "having to install .net just to run an app" seems a bit off, considering the .NET Framework is installed with Windows Vista by default.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:32 am 
Donator

Derf wrote:
betaluva wrote:
While some of your points are valid, I'm not sure about some others. Are you sure about the Explorer window thing? Windows ME and Windows 2000 are two entirely different kernels - I'm not sure if there's any relation between the two OS's beside what it looks like. Also, "having to install .net just to run an app" seems a bit off, considering the .NET Framework is installed with Windows Vista by default.

My two reservations about betaluvas argument are the "draconian licensing" bit and the DRM bit.

How the licensing is draconian is beyond me, MS even changed it to allow for virtualization of the cheaper SKUs. The licensing otherwise seems pretty standard to me, OEM licenses are tied to one machine and thus cheaper while the retail licenses are freely transferrable between machines. The same license applies for both the x86 as well as the x64 editions with the same key unlike XP.

The DRM is opt-in, it's not forced upon you anywhere. It's available as an option so that media producers can use it if they choose which I think is a good thing seeing how DRM is something companies seem to like to keep their distribution in check. If you have a problem with DRM then blame it on the people who wants online media to have it, not the ones allowing you the possibility to consume protected media.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:10 am 
The setupapi's in most of the early NT5 betas were from millennium,
there are a lot of 2000's files in millennium & vise versa.
I think it was more of just using available code and not having to recompile new code,
then just rushing it out the door.
ME was done in a short time because the code was already available in my opinion.

I ran ME on machines that were before it's time, and after it's time, and found that
ME ran good on early pentium 3 machines.
I tried running it on an athlon xp system once & had issues that made me format and go
back to 2000.
So as others have said, it's probably like vista, driver issues for why it had so many
problems for some people.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:11 am 
Donator

Windows Me is a good operating system for old computers and I've only had BSODs from things that 9x operating systems normally get (ejecting discs while still in use, etc.). The reason it was rushed out was because of Windows 2000 coming out, Microsoft wanted to get a consumer-targeted version of 2000 out there as quick as possible so they patched together a what they thought of as working OS adding a few new thoroughly-untested features. I think that's why the negative press was given.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
@Derf, maybe its only the beta builds of windows millenium that show windows 2000 in the right click properties?, in my eyes it confirms the rumor that windows millenium had the windows xp startmenue first but billG wanted to save it for windows xp so he told the team to hack the windows 2000 explorer to run on windows millenium edition. * by the way, windows millenium edotion definately uses the windows 2000 networking stack, its public knowledge.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:39 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
betaluva wrote:
@Derf, maybe its only the beta builds of windows millenium that show windows 2000 in the right click properties?, in my eyes it confirms the rumor that windows millenium had the windows xp startmenue first but billG wanted to save it for windows xp so he told the team to hack the windows 2000 explorer to run on windows millenium edition. * by the way, windows millenium edotion definately uses the windows 2000 networking stack, its public knowledge.
Ah, alright. I wasn't entirely sure on the Windows ME point, but it's good to know better now. By the way, where'd you hear about the Bill Gates Start Menu rumor? Haven't heard that one.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
i swear i remember reading that in a article in APC , the article was written by rose vines and it was a 2 page special talking about one of the windows millenium alpha builds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:24 am 
Donator

I had windows ME installed a long time ago....
Dont go there unless you have the right drivers and you are going to put up with the bugs in it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
i forgot to mention that i used to run dashhound anti-crash on windows millenium edition which used to keep windows millenium purrring along nicely.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
betaluva wrote:
i forgot to mention that i used to run dashhound anti-crash on windows millenium edition which used to keep windows millenium purrring along nicely.

dachshund anti-crash - the company has been working on its 'new' website for over 2 years now. I still wait in anticipation that they'll continue creating products like anti-crash, which I also ran on Win9x back in the day.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
yeah its a shame anti-crash doesnt work on windows xp, its one of the few tune-up utilities that work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
I never had any problems with Windows ME. I got intrested in it when I saw a video (on an MSN CD-ROM) that advertised it's features. I then found it at a sale, and I took it home and installed it on my PC overnight, and it worked fine. I don't understand why people hate it so much.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
For me i never had any problems. Its a Microsoft product and i got as many Blue Screens as i did on 98. I used it for about 4 or 5 years before i finnaly got an xp licence but it did what it had to.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
i only use ME once, it was fine except that i kept getting icon artifacts now and again when i would move or delete anything. otherwise, its really kinda like a windows 98 third edition. not bad, but not good

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Business
A few years back I used to run windows ME but it seriously did not make me hapy. The UI was clean but i had seen it all before in NEt workstation and other microsoft systems. i didnt like the introduction of system restore with it at all. Mind you, System restore has helped me a number of times.

All in all, i dont like ME and wouldnt like to use it again. It kinda scares me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:17 pm 

For me this is good system, never crashed and I never format disk where is ME :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:52 pm 
In my school Win Me been installed 2 years ago on old pc's: Celeron 800 Mhz, 64 Mb Ram. It works very good, never format, never crashed. More options than in Win 98 (ex. pendrive drivers) :D

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:43 am 
Donator

I used it daily, however at school, not at home. In year 6, our teacher brought in 4 or 5 computers (old ones) from home to use for us to type our work etc, and I would always use the WinME PC. It was quite pleasant actually. Was much better than the PC running Windows 95 A.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:04 am 
FTP Access

It was decent. It came preinstalled on our old Gateway back in June of '01. We had the ever-so-often reinstallaton from our System Restoration Kit media, which, thankfully, didn't have the crapware of today's out of box machines and restoration images. Just a link to the Helpspot application (Gateway's help portal for Windows help, tutorials, etc) which always launched ME's Help and Support Center.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
im using it right now.

im having no problems with it, after visiting windows update anyway

Top  Profile