BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 7h, 30m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 2277MB of 3669MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: 3 Computers not working        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:07 am 
Donator

I'm having some trouble with some old computers. There's a Pentium MMX 250MHz (I think), a 486 computer and a Pentium 3 400MHz.

One day, I found in the house, a bunch of 5 1/4" floppy disks with some old stuff on them. The 400MHz Pentium 3 had a 5 1/4" floppy drive, so I decided get some of the stuff of those disks and upload them to the BETAArchive FTP. The only problem is that when I booted it up, it didn't give any signal to the monitor. I've tried the computer on a different monitor, I've checked all the plugs and they were all plugged firmly in.

So I booted up the Pentium MMX computer. It booted up fine so I put the 5 1/4" floppy drive in. Once I had put it in, it got the same problem. No monitor signal. When I removed the 5 1/4" floppy drive, it still didn't give the monitor any signal. I also tried a second monitor but no dice.

So I went to my last resort. The 486. I put in a hard drive, 3 1/2 floppy drive and the 5 1/4" floppy drive. I turn it on and get 10 beeps. 2 long beeps and 8 short beeps. If it helps, it's an AMI BIOS. So I don't know what to do right now. Any help would be largely appreciated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: 3 Computers not working        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:48 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
mdogg wrote:
So I went to my last resort. The 486. I put in a hard drive, 3 1/2 floppy drive and the 5 1/4" floppy drive. I turn it on and get 10 beeps. 2 long beeps and 8 short beeps. If it helps, it's an AMI BIOS. So I don't know what to do right now. Any help would be largely appreciated.

I have found in 1 one my text books, an 1 long, 8 short (the 2 long doenst exist or it is another BIOS),
Display / retrace test failed. Reseat the video card.

I have them from Award, AMI and IBM, the beep errors and POST-codes BIOS.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:53 am 
FTP Access

According to this site. 2 long and 8 short does not exist. But 1 long and 8 short means there was some type of video card failure. Try using a different video card and see if the helps.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
someone153 wrote:
According to this site. 2 long and 8 short does not exist. But 1 long and 8 short means there was some type of video card failure. Try using a different video card and see if the helps.

I have already posted that.
Please read the post before posting the same answer.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:59 pm 
FTP Access

Sorry I was not really paying attention. I will make sure I read more carefully from now on.

Top  Profile