HDD Not working, Any suggestions?

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Marco
FTP Access

HDD Not working, Any suggestions?

Post by Marco »

I have a SCSI HDD (ST373405LC) 73GB 10000RPM and I am having some issues with it.

The Controller is reporting a "Start Request Unit Fail" whenever the drive spins up.

The HDD is out of warranty so it's no big deal, but If I can recover data off it then it'd be nice.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is? Windows only recognises it in device manager. The drive spins up. the heads dont seem to be broken nor can i find any mechanical failure. I'm thinking it might be the controller on the HDD but I dont know.

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

If Windows recognizes it in the device manager, you might be able to read off it by assigning a drive letter to it. Go into Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc>Right click on drive>click Assign Drive Letter>Choose Drive Letter>Click OK.

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

Use floppies
Have a day.

hypr
Donator

Post by hypr »

hmm, trying one of those PE disks may help, I gotta transfer a Windows installation over to another disk as I suspect the hard drive is failing on me. the PE disks don't access the HD but they contain disk software that may be helpful.