BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 22h, 57m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 5475MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules


Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Uncapping a modem?        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:19 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:51 pm

Posts
164

Location
massachusetts

Favourite OS
4074
ok, my friend uncapped his modem, im not interested in doing this, but does anybody know if this is legal, and if not, what type of punishment he will get for it in the U.S if hes caught?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:53 am

Posts
428
I would guess that there would be no punishment, being that it's his modem. If the modem belongs to his ISP, then they may choose to discontinue his service if he broke the TOS.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:08 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12459

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
It is illegal because he is technically stealing more bandwidth that he pays for. The punishment is usually disconnection from the service, but it can go as high as a fine or a court case.

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:07 pm 
Reply with quote
I'd say he's breaking his agreement with the ISP. As everyone else said, he'd probably get disconnected... just posting in to reinforce the point. :wink:


Top
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:13 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
Sorry for my ignorance but how would you – just theoretically – uncap a modem?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:45 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:55 pm

Posts
69
Apparently you can do this by FTPing into your cable modem (and cable modems only) and then fiddling with the configs.

And answering the OPs question: http://www.geek.com/fbi-nabs-17-in-cabl ... uncapping/


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:18 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:09 am

Posts
520

Location
Glendale KY USA
Why cant phone dsl be uncapped?


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:12 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:55 pm

Posts
69
dirtwarrior wrote:
Why cant phone dsl be uncapped?


Your line stats are set by the telco.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:20 pm 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12459

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Can I just state that any discussion on how to do this will result in the topic being closed as it is illegal.

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:57 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:37 pm

Posts
186

Location
Lincolnshire UK

Favourite OS
Neptune
Andy wrote:
Can I just state that any discussion on how to do this will result in the topic being closed as it is illegal.

Oh, so you don't endorse illegal activities?

Andy wrote:
I have enough XP keys to last me as long as I need. And there are easily obtainable cracks out there now anyway... 'nuff said.

_________________
lol, internet


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:00 pm 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12459

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Koptor wrote:
Andy wrote:
Can I just state that any discussion on how to do this will result in the topic being closed as it is illegal.

Oh, so you don't endorse illegal activities?

Andy wrote:
I have enough XP keys to last me as long as I need. And there are easily obtainable cracks out there now anyway... 'nuff said.


Indeed. Everyone knows how to get XP keys and MS couldn't give a toss. Proven since every one I try except for the FCKGW one activates just fine. Uncapping modems is a crime but its one taken more seriously by the ISP's these days as its happening more and more frequently. Just look at VM. They have found a system to block the uncappers and cloners.

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:12 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:37 pm

Posts
186

Location
Lincolnshire UK

Favourite OS
Neptune
Andy wrote:
Koptor wrote:
Andy wrote:
Can I just state that any discussion on how to do this will result in the topic being closed as it is illegal.

Oh, so you don't endorse illegal activities?

Andy wrote:
I have enough XP keys to last me as long as I need. And there are easily obtainable cracks out there now anyway... 'nuff said.


Indeed. Everyone knows how to get XP keys and MS couldn't give a toss. Proven since every one I try except for the FCKGW one activates just fine. Uncapping modems is a crime but its one taken more seriously by the ISP's these days as its happening more and more frequently. Just look at VM. They have found a system to block the uncappers and cloners.

Still stealing, therefore illegal.

_________________
lol, internet


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:56 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Posts
235

Location
New York

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
You could also put it this way. Who dosent get keys and that stuff off the internet. Its easier to catch u if u uncap ur modem. At least with warez :o u dont get caught as easily.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:25 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:26 pm

Posts
127
Perhaps it's fair if your ISP is cheating on you. I can't switch due to my parents. They charge over a 100 pound bill every 3 or so months.

They say we get 8mb or up to 3mb. The speed from the modem reports from 0.2 to a little over 2mb if I'm lucky. Were paying for 8mb, and they won't do anything about fixing the internet

Anyway, I'd love to know how to uncap a DSL modem :P


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:27 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12459

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
livelonger87 wrote:
Perhaps it's fair if your ISP is cheating on you. I can't switch due to my parents. They charge over a 100 pound bill every 3 or so months.

They say we get 8mb or up to 3mb. The speed from the modem reports from 0.2 to a little over 2mb if I'm lucky. Were paying for 8mb, and they won't do anything about fixing the internet

Anyway, I'd love to know how to uncap a DSL modem :P


Unfortunately thats how ADSL works. Your speed depends on your distance from the exchange. "Up to 8Mbps" is how they get around it. They don't in any way guarantee a speed, as long as it "works" they don't care and won't do anything.

Anyway you can't uncap ADSL, as stated above, the speed is set at the exchange.

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:31 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:26 pm

Posts
127
:(


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:18 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:41 am

Posts
140

Location
New York
why can't he upgrade to premium services?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:21 pm 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12459

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
rws7 wrote:
why can't he upgrade to premium services?


Cost maybe?

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:37 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:51 pm

Posts
164

Location
massachusetts

Favourite OS
4074
he did it just because he could, i pointed him to this topic, he said everybody here was full of [censored], and that he would never get caught, which i disagree with him on, because he will get caught sooner or later when the people around him start calling their ISP, asking why their internet is so slow

needless to say, i don't feel like being associated with him anymore, actually, i never did, lol


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:38 pm 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12459

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
benny1091 wrote:
he did it just because he could, i pointed him to this topic, he said everybody here was full of [censored], and that he would never get caught, which i disagree with him on, because he will get caught sooner or later when the people around him start calling their ISP, asking why their internet is so slow

needless to say, i don't feel like being associated with him anymore, actually, i never did, lol


He will get caught, guaranteed.

And good on you. You don't need thieves for friends.

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:23 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:06 am

Posts
25
In response to the original question...
benny1091 wrote:
ok, my friend uncapped his modem, im not interested in doing this, but does anybody know if this is legal, and if not, what type of punishment he will get for it in the U.S if hes caught?

Not that there's such a thing as a stupid question, but this one takes the cake. If there were a free and legal way to speed up cable Internet, why would Cable companies sell higher plans, and why would people buy higher plans for faster speeds?

Your question is really illogical. Yes, of course bandwidth theft is illegal... if there were a way to remove disk space limits on a web hosting company, that's just as illegal. Either way, it's still theft.

One could argue that an ISP has an infinite amount of bandwidth, while a web host only has so much space, but there's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth, and although more usage won't cost them more, it will slow down their network, and limit their future growth capacity.

benny1091 wrote:
he did it just because he could, i pointed him to this topic, he said everybody here was full of [censored], and that he would never get caught, which i disagree with him on, because he will get caught sooner or later when the people around him start calling their ISP, asking why their internet is so slow

What an idiot.

benny1091 wrote:
needless to say, i don't feel like being associated with him anymore, actually, i never did, lol

Good for you. :P

-Kirk


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:44 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:51 pm

Posts
164

Location
massachusetts

Favourite OS
4074
yes, i know this question was very "un-intelligent," but i don't really study law, and I am only 16, so i guess thats what made it a little illogical, lol, but I can't wait until he gets caught, its gonna be the best "i told you so" moment ever :D


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Woah...        Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:55 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:43 am

Posts
163
You know whats funny, my cable service, Insightbb(now Comcast) started us out with a capped modem, but something went horribly wrong and it started having a max of 20kbps download! But here's the outrageous part, when we told them what was happening, they gave us an uncapped modem! :D


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS