BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 17h, 28m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 2180MB of 3769MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Which was the first time you used a computer?        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:23 pm 
FTP Access

Hi!!
Which was the first time you used a computer?
I was 2 years old and one of my uncles used to have a Windows 3.11 computer. I remember I played the classic SkiFree game.
That was more less in 1991-1992
what about you guys?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Sometimes when I was three or four I would watch my family use the PC.
But the first time I actually used a computer was when we were on a long trip to Europe. I was four years old and I was allowed to use the PC's at the Internet Cafe for the last minute or two. I don't remember the Internet Cafes very well, but for the last minute or two I was allowed to go online a little bit.

The first time I used our Family PC was when I was five years old, and one day I actually went upstairs to the atic and powered on our PC. It had Windows 95 Original, Microsoft Works, and lot's of educational titles. It had an old SuperCOM Monitor, a Mouse Systems keyboard and mouse, Labtec Speakers (which I am looking at right now), and a Lexmark printer (It used to have an Epson printer, but it died, although I found the old manual). I remember looking at everything on the system, and even found the "Program Manager". We also had the packaging for that copy of Windows 95 and I think we also had the CD-ROM, then it was thrown out. :(

I also remember going to my grandparent's house and using an old IBM with Windows 3.1. I also discovered a good Reader Rabbit title on that system, which our system at home also had.

I also remember going to places such as libraries and our local CompUSA store. It even had a section for kids (Just try getting a modern store to have anything like this today), then it was removed in a couple of weeks because of problems. I even saw Windows 98 in those places, and I learned what it was called because I heard mentioning of it.

Then I went back to my grandparent's house, but the old IBM system was gone, so my grandfather showed me the "other" system, which was from Total Peripherals and also had Windows 3.1. I started using that system and I fell in love with Windows 3.1 and the Games and educational titles that system had. I even remember how intresting it was to hear music from the PC Speaker with some certain educational titles (although it had a Vibra16 card installed). That time I also discovered a collection of old PC World and Family PC magazines. I also fell in love with them, so we took them home too.

Back home, we got some more educational titles for our Family PC for me to use. I also remember that we had to get a new copy of one of them because the CD-ROM was damaged and couldn't be read very well.

I also found an AST Keyboard and an old three button PC Accessories mouse that could operate in Microsoft or Mouse Systems mode.

I remember one night I renamed some folders in "Program Files" because I thought I was fixing it.

The next day, after I "fixed" it, I powered on that system and every file opened up. I still don't understand why that happened. :? So we had to have our "geek" friend come to our house, and this was so strange even he didn't know what was happening or how to completly fix it, but he told us to hold down the "Shift" key, which actually worked. This PC was slow and old anyway, so my parents purchased an Emachines PC and I got the old one, which caused me to think that Windows 98 was for "grownups", because that's what was on the new PC, and I wasn't allowed to use it.
But that PC was good enough for me. We even had an old Apple IIc, and I would always use Mouse Paint on it, until one time when a Rabbit that we had chewed on the Monitor's power cable and we even tried different monitors, including a Mac one.

I also learned that my grandfather's PC was a 386, and my PC was a 486.

I was six when I started reading system requirements, and that's how I learned about MS-DOS 3.1, MS-DOS 5.0, MS-DOS 6.0, and 386SXs and 386DXs, 486SXs, 486DXs, and 486DX2s. The year before, when I was five, I even found an old Windows for Workgroups 3.11 OEM manual.

When I was six, I also got an old copy of Mastering Windows 3.1. I still have that manual, and it has some intresting Beta screenshots of Windows 3.1, including screenshots from unleaked builds.

I was six when my Grandfather got his third PC. It was a Dell Opti-Plex with Windows 95 OSR2. We got it from a local guy, and he even gave me my first RAM Module. It was supposed to be a Christmas present, and one day I remember that I blew the secret. When I was on the phone with him, I said "Guess what? You've got a new Computer!". :P :D

I was seven when I got my second PC. It was from the same guy, and it was a very similar system, but when we powered it on it had Windows 98 (Original). I remember using that system, and I also started using some great games that I never used before. I also started getting some more educational titles, including some that were designed for Pentium based systems. I would also explore the cab files contained on the hard drive and other people's Windows 98/ME PC's.

That was also the year I started purchasing OS Videos, and the first one was an MS-DOS 3.3 video that I used to teach myself MS-DOS.

But this system had problems. One problem was that the CD-ROM Drive stopped reading CD-ROMs, and I also experienced various Keyboard Failure messages, but they didn't prevent me from booting up this system.
I also remember that sometimes my PC would only display graphics in VGA mode and one time we had to send it to our "geek" friend for a long time, and it came back, but then one night I was using the system and it experienced a lock up, so I powered off the system and powered it on again, and it experienced a Keyboard Failure, but unlike previous Keyboard Failures, this one prevented me from booting the PC. So it had to be sent back to the guy for a long time, and when we went to pick it up, the guy replaced it with a more powerful system, which was also a Dell Opti-Plex, but it had Windows 95 OSR2 and not Windows 98. :( So I was stuck with just a Windows 95 OSR2 PC until my Grandfather called and he said that he was going to give us his old Windows 3.1 Based 386 PC. So he came with the system, and I still have that system today.

I was eight when I first started programming. I started by taking out an old Apple IIc manual and copied a program into QBasic that converted mile to kilometers. It actually worked, and not long after that I started programming other ways, such as Batch programming, creating folders that would serve as Shell Extensions, and even using WinBatch to create simple Windows programs. Even though I was only eight, some days I would start creating some strange program, on either of my PC's. And I started exploring the CAB files of Windows 95 OSR2, and I even searched for information about OS's on the Internet, and even found screenshots of some very intresting versions of Windows, including Windows 1.01, Windows 2.03, Windows 2.1, Windows 3.0, and even Windows Chicago Beta One. That was also the year I first heard about Windows Vista, back when it was called "Longhorn". I even found some intresting things, including Word 2.0, a Tandy MS-DOS 4.01 OEM Manual, and a Windows 95 OSR2 Dell OEM Manual and CD-ROM, and a Networking related Windows NT 3.1 Manual. I also found various manuals about old computers, and some books from the "Dummies" series. The Windows 95 OSR2 CD-ROM had a lot of intresting stuff, including the CD-Sampler, the Hover! Game, and even a copy of the Windows 95 Resource Kit, which I read all the time. I even had some intrested in Linux, and I would sometimes read about that OS too, but the OS I was intrested in most was Windows.
Even though I was only eight, I also knew how to install and reinstall Windows 3.x, 95, and 98.

One night I was installing Adobe Acrobat Reader on my old 386, when I attempted to restart Windows but it stopped working, and even though I knew some things about OS's, I didn't know how to fix this problem, so I deleted part of the Windows installation and attempted to install Windows 95 OSR2, but the system didn't have enough disk space, so our "geek" friend had to give us a copy of Windows for Workgroups 3.11, and even though I was only eight, I installed Windows for Workgroups 3.11 just fine.

When I was nine, I got another Dell Opti-Plex PC on my birthday. It had Windows 95 OSR2.1 installed for me. On that day I also got the Visual Basic 6 Black Book, which had an excelent CD-ROM.

I soon upgraded that system to Windows 98 SE, and then not very long after that I became intrested in Windows ME when I saw a video on an MSN CD-ROM that advertised it's features, so at a sale I found an OEM copy and took it home and had it install overnight.

That year I even got another 486 PC at a yard sale, with some intresting stuff, including Packard Bell MS-DOS 5.0 OEM Floppy Disks, and Packard Bell Windows 3.1 OEM Floppy Disks, and there were only four of them. :?
Not long after that I upgraded that system to Windows 95 Original, and I found a full copy of it at my Grandparent's house on 13 or 14 floppy disks. I remember how many times I had to change floppy disks when installing that version, and I even remember activating the Credits easter egg. I also had the packaging for that copy, but it disappeared. It was probably thrown out. :(

I was also nine when I first tried building a PC, and I was Ten when I built the first PC of mine that I ever got working, and it never worked until a year and a half later.

I know this got long, but I have lot's of stories about my first PC's.

Last edited by WinPC on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
the earliest computer i remember using had WFW on it. i dont remember much, just being happy scrolling the mouse back and forth on the screen, the going into dos and typing in random crap and seeing it spit out random errors, the only command i figured out how to use was "dir"...

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:22 am 

I first used a computer in 1980---a TRS-80 Model III. It had 48k RAM and one 5.25" floppy drive. It was considered relatively powerful for a home computer, at the time. It didn't have color, or even bitmapped graphics.

You guys are making me feel old.

AGAIN.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:36 pm 
FTP Access

My first machine (with a microcontroller) that I used was a ZX80 in 1980/1ish (the KIT!)

I didn't get my first "real PC" until about 83/4ish which was a 286 (which I was really chuffed about because it had a 80287 math co-processor! Woo!). Orange on black screen with 512k RAM and two (yes two!) 5.25" floppy drives. Oh, and a <10MB HD mounted on an ISA card. Can't seem to find any of these anywhere anymore though. Super rare or what!

Then it was an IBM Personal System/2 Model 55 (incidentally the range of machines that pioneered the PS/2 keyboard/mice!), which was a 386SX with 4MB memory on board running DOS 3 and Win 3! Later I got an MCA memory expansion card for it and beefed it up to 8MB (what a BAD idea the MCA cards were!! And the horrible 60-pin *edge connector* they used for the 30MB HD's! Yes! A whole 30MB HD! Still brilliant machines tho!). I've got the model number saved as an eBay favorite search to find another! 8555-031. *sigh* Great days! Mind you, nostalgia ain't what it used to be nowadays...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:37 am 
FTP Access

My mom owned an XT since '88, but I was not allowed to go near it. When I was 10, I got a C=128 for a summer and got interrested in programming. After that I saved my pocket and lunch money for years to buy myself a PC. In the end I got an used 386 from my parents and used up that money for a color CRT (i was planning originally on a B&W). It was an IBM PS/2 SX56, got 14MBof RAM, and 80 MB HDD on SCSI, a VGA chip, but it was an MCA machine, so I never could get a sound-card or an internal modem for it. I used Win 3.11 & Calmira II. I was still interrested in programming, but the 386 was short on computing power, so I decided to learn Assembly, and after that C and C++. Later I got a P166 machine, 32 EDO RAM, 210MB HDD, SB16, CD-ROM (4x), S3 trio 64V+, but I kept the old one. On the P166 originally there was a W95, but i installed a Debian Linux Potato instead. Heck, I even could watch DivX on it under Linux with mplayer an a framebuffer device. I remember the first film I watched on my computer was Antitrust. It took a day to covert it to small enough to watch. Years came and went, and I bought myself a newand mighty machine, an AMD Duron 900 (highest at the time). It got 128 SD, witch later become 256, a Matrox G200, 10 GB WD HDD, CDRW (!!), and a SoundBlaster Live. Back then I could choose between a good soundcard instead of the integrated one and a 3D card. Ofcourse I choose the Soundcard, no question about it. I even use it now, this is my HTPC config. The linux remained, but upgraded it for a Woody. Later I bought my first laptop, a Dell Lattitude XPi (P133), and abandonned the desktop one for portability, only using it to watch films and listen to music. I bought a HP nx7010 3 years ago, iPm1.6 Banias, 512 DDR, 40GB, DVD/CDRW, Ati9200, I used it until recently, now I use a Dell Inspiron 6400 (C2d T7200, 1024 DDRII, 160 GB Sata, X1400+128, DVDRW).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:43 am 
~1991 (I was ~2y old, maybe almost 3). I was playing games on my uncle's notebook (monochrome display)... I don't know what was that game called, but you was supposed to use a aircraft to either shoot other aircrafts, or to drop bomb on buildings (it was 2D, and you could choose what to use - rockets, bomb or bullets)
We've got our own PC when I was almost 4 (in winter 1992) - 486DX2 66, 8MB EDO RAM (later father bought additional 16MB), 250MB HDD, 5.25" FDD + 3.5" FDD and 1MB Tritend VESA Videocard as I remeber. I've used it mainly for games (civilization, dangerous dave 2, king's bounty, and a few other games which I don't remember well).
We've upgraded that PC only in 1997. To P-166MMX, 32MB RAM, 4GB HDD (Fujitsu), 4MB PCI ATi Rage2 (ASUS V264GT/Pro as I remeber).
Later in ~1999y (or 2000y, I don't quiet remember) we've bought celeron 600, 128MB Ram, 20GB IBM DTLA, SB Live! 1024, but still used Rage2 for a while. Then we bought Radeon 64MB DDR. After a while we upgradet to P3-833EB, 384MB RAM, then to A-XP 1800+ (Palomino), 1.5GB RAM (first we bought 1x512 DDR266 and later added 2x512 DDR-400) Radeon 8500LE. Added few HDDs. Then to P4-2.4C Northwood, downgraded RAM to 1GB (cause it was silly to use DDR266 in modern PC), then upgrade to A64 3000+@2.4Ghz -> Sempron 3000+@2.6GHz -> A64 4000+ @ 2.7GHz -> Pentium E2160@3Ghz
Before upgrade to Celeron 600 I've never touched what was inside our PC. My father was doing everything, but only inside PC. After that I was trying to help him and a-xp was first PC that was built by me (I've done everything - choose parts, bought them and installed them to case).

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:42 pm 
I was 3 years when i used Commodore C64 in 1995. My older brother bought Commodore in 1991. First PC i used in 1999 in school. It was Pentium 100 Mhz, 16 Mb Ram, 1.2 Gb Hdd and Win 95, later 98. In 2002 in scholl were newer PC's Celeron 800 Mhz, 64 Mb Ram, 20 Gb Hdd, Win Me, later 98 or XP. I overclocked CPU to 916 Mhz. In 2002 i bought my first PC :wink:

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
1976, i suppose, when i took the deck of cards to feed george. First computer i controlled was in 1981, a_box that had a grand core space of 2000 bytes.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS DOS 7.1
oh man,... back when i was 4 my brother was playing Command And Conquer Tiberium Dawn
(the first one) and he left, i went on there and mashed buttons, not the best way to play :?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:14 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM | iPhone OS 3.0
I've used an Amstrad computer in 1984.
When I've used this computer, I was afraid to destroy the computer by a "bug" ! :P
Yes, before using this machine, computers was "machine bug-making" for me !
But, since 1984, I love computers and I've got lots of computers generations :

-Amstrad ('can't remember what was the model...)

-Amiga 600

-a "noname" PC (with an Intel 486 33 MHz CPU. MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1)

-Compaq Presario (again, I can't remember what is the model, but the CPU inside was a Cyrix 66 MHz. Windows 95)

-IBM FireGL 300 (with an Intel Pentium MMX 200 MHz CPU, Windows 95)

-custom PC who I build (CPU Intel Pentium III 700 MHz, overclocked to above 1,1 GHz in 2007 ! Result : the CPU was fried ! And lots of OS upgrades : Windows ME, Windows 98 (because I've hated ME!) and Windows XP!)

-an Acer E380-JB7L, my actual computer (CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2,4 GHz, Windows Vista Home Premium).

I would build a new computer because my actual computer isn't good for the gaming, my power supply are only a 250 W and the upgrades possibilities aren't wide... :(

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:22 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Gmod1001, stop bringing up old topics. It is against the rules.

Locked.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]