BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 14h, 11m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5562MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Help Save Windows Xp        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
QUOTE: Please complete this petition so we can add your name to those who want Microsoft to keep Windows XP available indefinitely, rather than force users to upgrade to Windows Vista. With your support, we can convince Microsoft to spare XP’s fate of being discontinued on June 30, 2008.

We will not send your e-mail address to Microsoft; we require it to verify that you are a real person and have not previously signed this petition.
http://reg.itworld.com/servlet/Frs.frs

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:30 am 
Donator

and xp is going to be up to date and modern forever 8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:58 am 
FTP Access

___ wrote:
and xp is going to be up to date and modern forever 8-)

Wait XP isn't going to be modern forever?!? Blasphemer!!!!111
/sarcasm

I think everyone who wants an XP License has one already. It can't last forever...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
new doesnt always mean good! no ones making you sign it ,not i need xp or blista , reactos is coming along nicely and MS is going backwards so its all good.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:15 am 
FTP Access

You're right, new doesn't always mean good. But when it comes with technology, old doesn't last. That means XP will never last.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Yeh, as bad some people find Windows Vista (and I include myself in that), XP isn't going to be around forever. And I somehow doubt MS will listen to a petition anyway, its not about pleasing people, its about getting profit (like almost all companies). Also, Windows 7 is looking a bit more promising, and I will move to Vista no doubt sooner or later (I have two working copies spare anyway). I also agree with the fact that anyone who wants XP, will already have a licence/crack and will use that anyway. I suppose its really OK for MS to stop sales of XP now.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:27 am 
Donator

A petition isn't going to change Microsoft's decision. Every version of Windows is going to expire one day. Besides, Vista may get better by service pack 2. Or maybe not...

Either way, Microsoft can't really force you to upgrade. They'll just stop releasing updates and will stop answering your complaints. Besides, look on the bright side. Once Microsoft stops support for it and it becomes abandonware, we can get it for free and not get in trouble with Microsoft 8)

Edit: $haft changed to soft due to complaint.

Last edited by mdogg on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:10 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I have enough XP keys to last me as long as I need. And there are easily obtainable cracks out there now anyway... 'nuff said.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:44 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune
A petition isn't going to do [censored] all, if you don't like Vista, don't use it. Just because they're discontinuing it or whatever, it doesn't mean that your XP is suddenly going to stop working, so stop whinging.

mdogg wrote:
A petition isn't going to change Micro$haft's decision. Every version of Winblows is going to expire one day. Besides, Vista may get better by service pack 2. Or maybe not...

Either way, Micro$haft can't really force you to upgrade. They'll just stop releasing updates and will stop answering your complaints. Besides, look on the bright side. Once Micro$haft stops support for it and it becomes abandonware, we can get it for free and not get in trouble with Micro$haft 8)

I hope you feel good for using the term "Micro$haft". It's possibly one of the most retarded things I've seen on this forum, and that's saying something.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:50 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Koptor wrote:
I hope you feel good for using the term "Micro$haft". It's possibly one of the most retarded things I've seen on this forum, and that's saying something.

I tend to agree. Its bas enough that people call them "M$" (guilty as charged) but thats just going too far.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
WHAT IS THE BIG FRIGIN DEAL with calling them MS? what about ms-dos,what about ms-word? i dont care if you call them dogpoo? or icecream or elephant? what does it matter? @mdogg, MS will never make windows xp abandonware, windows 1.0 still isnt abandonware!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:53 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
betaluva wrote:
WHAT IS THE BIG FRIGIN DEAL with calling them MS? what about ms-dos,what about ms-word? i dont care if you call them dogpoo? or icecream or elephant? what does it matter?

Calling them "MS" is fine. Its when people call them "M$" that people get annoyed. It makes people think you think they're a money raping company and all they care about is profit.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:48 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
It makes people think you think they're a money raping company and all they care about is profit.

But that's exactly what they are. They're a for-profit company. They advance using bully tactics. They force people to buy their products. How are they not a money raping company that only cares about profit?

Not that I support calling them Micro$haft.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
If i want any os other then XP ill just use the web. I got my key for XP free as it was an OEM. Vista thats another story along with all my other os's ive ran.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:06 pm 
Donator

NT is based on OS/2. Windows XP is NT 5.1. Any NT OS technically belongs to IBM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:56 pm 
FTP Access

Windows OCManage wrote:
NT is based on OS/2. Windows XP is NT 5.1. Any NT OS technically belongs to IBM.

OS/2 was initially a joint effort between IBM and MS. I wouldn't say that any NT OS technically belongs to IBM, as both IBM and MS worked on the OS/2 before they split and went their own separate ways.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
windows.O.C is correct, QUOTE: "IBM grew concerned about the delays in development of OS/2 2.0 and the diversion of IBM funds earmarked for OS/2 development towards Windows[citation needed]. Initially, the companies agreed that IBM would take over maintenance of OS/2 1.0 and development of OS/2 2.0, while Microsoft would continue development of OS/2 3.0. In the end, Microsoft decided to recast NT OS/2 3.0 as Windows NT, leaving all future OS/2 development to IBM" source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2#Breakup

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:18 pm 
FTP Access

IBM and MS worked on OS/2 1.0. As the article said, IBM worked on OS/2 2.0 and MS worked on OS/2 3.0, which would become Windows NT.

I never said that Windows NT isn't based off of OS/2. All I'm saying is that Windows NT doesn't technically belong to IBM, at least not entirely. They both made contributions. Whatever was in Windows NT ultimately came from OS/2 1.0, or was derived from it, which, as I previously stated, and the Wikipedia article you linked to backs me up on this, both MS and IBM worked on 1.0.

IBM made a good contribution to Windows NT kernel, but being that it's been 18-20 years after that contribution, I think it is safe to say that IBM's contribution is somewhat less prevalent than what it was in earlier versions of Windows NT. Regardless of that, IBM did make a good contribution to the groundwork of Windows NT, as did MS.

What I took to understand from windows OC comment is that Windows NT OS's belong to IBM, which is pretty much false. I'm not trying to downplay IBM's contribution, I'm just saying that Windows NT OS's don't belong to IBM, at least not solely. It would be interesting if IBM decided to create a OS based off of the NT kernel and what legal standing they have on it, but that would be for a court to decide.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:47 pm 
Donator

ppc_digger wrote:
Andy wrote:
It makes people think you think they're a money raping company and all they care about is profit.

But that's exactly what they are. They're a for-profit company. They advance using bully tactics. They force people to buy their products. How are they not a money raping company that only cares about profit?

Not that I support calling them Micro$haft.

but what successfull company isn't?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:38 am 
Donator

I'm editing my post due to all the complaint.

betaluva wrote:
WHAT IS THE BIG FRIGIN DEAL with calling them MS? what about ms-dos,what about ms-word? i dont care if you call them dogpoo? or icecream or elephant? what does it matter? @mdogg, MS will never make windows xp abandonware, windows 1.0 still isnt abandonware!

I never said that Microsoft would make it abandonware. I said when it becomes abandonware.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:28 pm 
FTP Access

Chiming in a bit late here, but a petition really isn't going to do anything. Microsoft is a company and as such is out to make a profit (duh! Noone operates a business for free!). Do car companies keep releasing the same car? No. They continue twiddling, revamping and remodeling. MS is just the same.

I think the June 08 date for discontination of XP is a bit premature though. Any other elders will tell you that when they came to phase out 95/98/NT/2000 - MS gave a date and kept knocking it back a couple of months at a time (NT 4 especially!). No doubt they'll probably do the same again.

It's funny, I really objected to Windows 95 replacing 3.x and made a stand to refuse to upgrade. When I was eventually forced to though, I changed the shell of 95 to reflect the (progman) look of 3.x. It's coming once again with Vista and will probably continue to do so in the future. We'll bitch and moan about the 'forced' upgrade to Vista now - but in a couple of years you'll be saying "X-what? Did we really use that old war tool?"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:42 pm 
Just thought i'd post here, and say that this always happens every new Windows release. Vista is fine, give it a chance. :D

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:33 pm 
Administrator

I doubt Microsoft will FORCE users to Vista in the close future. Of course it will be abandoned eventually (anyone want to run Win95 today?) since technology and requirements push ahead of what's possible with XP. But Microsoft won't just flip a switch and kablooey, "Your version of Microsoft Windows XP has just expired, click here to automatically deduct $420 from your credit card account to purchase Microsoft Windows Vista"....

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I didn't expect June 30th of '08 to be the end of XP sales - I thought they would sell it a bit longer. Last year I was hesitant to use Vista as my main OS. However, I bought a new laptop with Vista back in September, and I actually love it. The experience has been great for me since I got it pre-installed on a PC. And especially with the amount of updates and fixes, and SP1 coming "in the coming months", Vista is not really that bad. It's worth a shot. Sure, Microsoft might be considered money-hungry by doing this (I can agree with that), but at the same time I think it's good in a way to help consumers keep up with the times.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
A petition will do nothing. Microsoft doesn't have to listen at all, since it has the resources to push out Vista to OEMs and out to average Joes who can hardly tell the difference between XP and Vista as long as it can play their video games, help them write documents, listen to music, surf the web, etc.

And given that XP and Vista operate on a remarkably similar level in the eyes of consumers (with crucial differences here and there), perhaps only certain Windows enthuasists and hardcore Microsoft-haters will really give a damn that XP remains supported.

With that said, I've been running Vista for almost a year. No problems here. Do I really miss XP? Maybe, but Vista is pretty close to XP and provides a much needed kernel update to the Windows NT line.

What I really miss is Windows 98! Oh, the long gone days of late-90s computing...

Top  Profile