BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 40d, 3h, 59m | CPU: 82% | MEM: 5938MB of 8191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:51 pm 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
Would be expensive for the student in my college. You had to pay for print credits.

You get given 300 at the start of the year.
1 credit per black and white A4 page
10 credits per colour A4 page
2 credits per black and white A3 page
20 credits per colour A3 page

Each credit was around 2.4 pence each and sold in blocks only :( £2 for 80 or something like that. The more you buy in one go the cheaper they were.

At my 6th-form college there was a similar system, but then I discovered that you could log on with username "guest" and password "password" and print from that account instead :P I found it by seeing "guest" in the logon box (as Windows remembers the last logon) one day and guessing the password ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Well, the computers that we have are now locked down pretty well, with Novell ZENWorks 7 for Desktops, with Remote Control on some pcs

The internet access is shared throughout the entire district. All network communication in the building is moved through a huge switch in the media center, which goes out of the building to an unknown location.
The ISP that is used for the entire district is the The Metropolitan Educational Council, which is located in downtown columbus. Internet access is limited by use of Secure Computing's SmartFilter DA, BESS Edition, which runs on a Red Hat 6.3 server ...

I've disabled all Novell services, disabled ZenWorks, and various other fun things...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP / Windows 7
Fireware wrote:
Well, the computers that we have are now locked down pretty well, with Novell ZENWorks 7 for Desktops, with Remote Control on some pcs

Novell is also running the computers @ my school. I dno't know exactly which version... :oops:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:18 pm 

Toshua123 wrote:
Ah now that was good 8)
Remember all the stuff we did in yr 8?
Turning of random peoples computers....

No, it was blanking peoples screens and watching their reactions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP / Windows 7
A trick what they do at my school is CTRL SHIFT arrow-keys, to rotate the screen.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:24 am 
Let's see:

1) Found the school uses warez'd copies of [censored] and whenever the boxes autoupdate the WGA checks spring out at them.

2) Found every box runs VNC 4.1.1 (except the boxes built last summer, which run VNC4.1.2) and used the VNC Authentication Bypass exploit against almost every box in the school library and one server (which was unlocked).

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:03 pm 
FTP Access

Fireware wrote:
I've disabled all Novell services, disabled ZenWorks, and various other fun things...

How the hell'd you manage that? We've got Novell up here - and I have an admin account password (H)

MarkNL wrote:
A trick what they do at my school is CTRL SHIFT arrow-keys, to rotate the screen.

Yeah, I'm assuming a Dell machine/other machine with Intel integrated graphics. That's the screen rotation shortcut.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
ahh yes, dells.. i used to "demonize" other guys screens, rotate them 180, then tint them red... Good times good times. :D

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:57 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Andy wrote:
Would be expensive for the student in my college. You had to pay for print credits.

You get given 300 at the start of the year.
1 credit per black and white A4 page
10 credits per colour A4 page
2 credits per black and white A3 page
20 credits per colour A3 page

Each credit was around 2.4 pence each and sold in blocks only :( £2 for 80 or something like that. The more you buy in one go the cheaper they were.

At my 6th-form college there was a similar system, but then I discovered that you could log on with username "guest" and password "password" and print from that account instead :P I found it by seeing "guest" in the logon box (as Windows remembers the last logon) one day and guessing the password ;)

we had this 'reading' test thing that is done on some computers and you had to log into them with a certain account, then they install some printing and internet thing so you had to pay for stuff. They kinda forgot about that account, man people went through a lot of pages. entire classes were printing about 100 pages each

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:21 am 
FTP Access

My favorite was the con/con aux/aux bug. I simpy created a link in the startup group showing to con/con or aux/aux on all computers ovet rhe network, and after a restert thenext day the good old W95/98 chrashed imediately after startup BSoD. The administrator newer figured it out, and reinstalled all systems, for he mistook it for a virus activity.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP / Windows 7
missingno wrote:
Yeah, I'm assuming a Dell machine/other machine with Intel integrated graphics. That's the screen rotation shortcut.

Exactly!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:49 am 
Quote:
We used to have the computers one besides the other, and each would use one. We would switch the mouse of two of them so the guy in the right would say, hey!, my mouse wont work. Then the other guy did the same. Until later they'd realize that they were switched. That was amazing!!

oh crap. I pissed myself. :lol:
that's so simple and perfect.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:07 pm 
A few months ago I over-overclocked a Pentium 4. I know that the P4 gets extremely hot, even on stock speeds, but I still wanted to give it a try. The mobo wasn't really oriented for overclockers, the only thing that you could change was the bus speed. The standard speed was something like 150 MHz with multiplier 16 (thus the CPU having a clock speed of 2,4 GHz). I changed the bus speed to 160 MHz, ran some tests and when I wanted to reset it to the stock speed I, according to a friend who sat next to me, accidentally entered a bus speed of 250 MHz with a clock speed of 4 GHz as result. The machine booted just past POST, then hung and never ever started again.
A few days later, our system administrator came in to the class, tried to boot the machine (it didn't even gave a beep or nothing, the only thing that happened was that the fans spinned up). He opened the pc, cleaned the fans, tried to reboot again without succes. Man, it was so hard to don't laugh :D. He took the pc and a few days later there suddenly was a new pc ^^

Another time, we discovered that all the pc's on our school were equipped with VNC but that it was protected with a password. With a simple tool we extracted the password and began controlling random people in the class with funny reactions as a result.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:32 pm 
Lol, one of my friends did a similar thing and disabled the onboard graphics. We then watched and laughed as the technician rebuilt the computer and reset the bios, and informed that class that people should be more careful with paperclips, and report if people and dropped one into a computer, as that is clearly what happened and someone had dropped a paperclip into the case (even though there isnt a whole big enough) and it had shorted the motherboard.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:52 pm 
FTP Access

hounsell wrote:
... and informed that class that people should be more careful with paperclips, and report if people and dropped one into a computer, as that is clearly what happened and someone had dropped a paperclip into the case (even though there isnt a whole big enough) and it had shorted the motherboard.

Its still easier to make computers look like black magic, than to explain eveything about BIOS and integrated graphics and stuff to everyone :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:52 pm 
Maybe, but this is a person who leaves a computer logged in as an administrator, next to known hackers XD

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:31 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Beta Freak wrote:
Toshua123 wrote:
Ah now that was good 8)

Remember when we crashed the server when he was off?
Might do it again when he isn't there :D

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:06 am 

Toshua123 wrote:
Beta Freak wrote:
Toshua123 wrote:
Ah now that was good 8)

Remember when we crashed the server when he was off?
Might do it again when he isn't there :D

It wasn't intentional, I thought it would start up again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:10 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Same.
Cal asked me to aswell :P
Ah net sends.
They where good :D :D

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:16 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I used to swap mice round, that was fun. 4 machines near eachother and 4 mice to randomly swap :P

> BetaArchive Discord <
> Site rules <
> How to get FTP access <
> How to prepare software <

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:11 am 
1) We discovered that they administrator forgot to disable "net send"... We started to play with it... Somebody wrote script:
Code:
1:
net send * "You are stupid ass"
goto 1

and started it. But we didn't knew, that ALL computers in school was connected in one LAN...
After that rules in computer class was modified: "It is forbidden to use commands of MS-DOS such as: net..."

2) We found out that in new computer class we have access to CD-ROM's and 150MB in c:\TEMP
Quake 3 was cut down to 90MB (a few maps, no sound, etc.)
For the first time in his life, our teacher saw ALL pupils in class.

3) In old computer class we've got 14" CRT monitors, P-166MMX, 32MB ram, NT 4.0 WS, etc.
One day I was experimenting with resolution of monitor (becouse 1024x768 on such crap is too high for my eyes), but instead of 800x600 I've choosen 1280x1024 and double hit enter... It was funy to restore resolution when you see only black screen.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:25 am 
Lol, While i've been at my school, the network rules have doubled in length. Not just because of me though...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:17 am 
FTP Access

Quote:
After that rules in computer class was modified: "It is forbidden to use commands of MS-DOS such as: net..."

Time to use samba tng and smbsend.exe :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:14 pm 
thenico
Quote:
use samba tng and smbsend.exe

NT 4.0 and we've got "User" rights... So we can't do too much.

hounsell
Quote:
network rules have doubled in length. Not just because of me though...

They've just blocked "net send" and wrote that we can't use ms-dos cmds without permissions... I don't think that anybody will explain them, that "net send" IS NOT MS-DOS command...

p.s.
And they did one terrible thing - they've find software that kills quake3.exe if it was started... It was a long war with administrator... But it ended for us with neither victory nor failure - we left school for university and left q3 for those who'll came after us :)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:53 pm 

I increase speed of old 466 mhz celeron to 600 (I think) and computer never turn on :)

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next