BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 4h, 32m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 2196MB of 3605MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Why does Microsoft do it?        Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:39 am 
Donator

How does Microsoft get away with it?

I was at my dad's work and I decided to make a PowerPoint on my PowerBook G4. I fired up PowerPoint and started making a PowerPoint only discover this:
Only Entrance, Emphasis and Exit were available. No motion paths. This may not be a problem for most Mac users out there but it is for people who like making fun PowerPoints (like the Star Wars series I did in 2005). Anyway, I looked in the PowerPoint Help to see if there was anyway to get motion paths. This is what was in the help:
Pretty bad seeing how many Mac users are out there.

Since a lot of the computers at my dad's work have Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003 on them, I decided to use them. Once again I fired up PowerPoint. Once again, I started to make a PowerPoint. However when attempting to add Custom Animation:
This dialog is like the dialog from Office 2000. It's like Microsoft Office running in some sort of reduced functionality mode.

How does Microsoft get away with it? You can tell me but I'm not sure if any answer is going to answer this.

Edit: Even this post was the second time I had to do it since I was in Microsoft Internet Explorer and accidentally clicked a link which led away from this one and clicking the Back button erased my entire post also leading me to have to upload the pictures again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:50 am 
Donator

Voodoo?

Unused pieces of Code?

There is a group policy setting?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:51 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
Office for Mac is a completely different product from Office for Windows - it's written by a completely different team of developers within Microsoft - Mactopia is their official name. The fact of the matter is that all Office for Mac applications may share names, but they are not the same applications, and they sure as hell do not share all the same features as their Windows-counterparts. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't seem to have a problem offering a lesser-product to Mac users, and is getting away with doing this for no other reason than the fact that there's competition on the Mac platform (at least, that's what I think).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:12 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I suppose lesser is subjective. I found Office 2004 had more features in 2004 then Office 2003.

I really don't believe they are getting away with anything. The two programs have a fairly high amount of features and most people don't opt to use the old dialogs. (Its in settings somewhere to keep the old dialogues).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:37 am 
Permanently Banned

jimmsta pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, can anybody confirm that some of these missing features are in Office 2008?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:22 pm 
Donator

Zimmy wrote:
jimmsta pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, can anybody confirm that some of these missing features are in Office 2008?

2008 only features Emphasis Entrance, Exit as well. Searching the help for motion paths doesn't find anything.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:42 pm 
FTP Access

The funny thing is that Mac Office 2004 and up does support playback of motion paths, yet they cannot create them.

If you can play them... why can't you create them... :? Makes no sense...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:29 pm 
Permanently Banned

idontknow wrote:
The funny thing is that Mac Office 2004 and up does support playback of motion paths, yet they cannot create them.

If you can play them... why can't you create them... :? Makes no sense...

Perhaps at the time there wasn't a decent way to implement it. From a developers background, you try and approach a problem and have it implemented/fixed by X.X release, but it may not happen, so you leave it out for next release. e.g: In Audacious 1.4 we wanted a native MacOS binary and installer packages, it never happened, they had not a clue how to go much about it and not wanting to maintain it, so hence I was hired and 1.5 will feature MacOS support, among fixes to make it work on MacOS alongside the orignal X11 source.

Sorry, talking from experiance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:03 pm 
Microsoft likes making money. If you leave out essential features... which people need... they'll move if they have too.

For instance, with Linux people need wireless drivers such as myself. I'm perfectly happy to install Linux if they could get it to work... which is why i am on Windows again. 8o|