BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 20d, 20h, 7m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5698MB of 11872MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: [REVIEW] KryoFlux vs. SuperCard Pro        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
DOS 3.1
[UPDATE 1 - APR/25/2015]

You can use SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator Software to convert from/to ".SCP" format
Direct link : http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... r_soft.zip
WebPage : http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emu ... pyemulator

Using the SDC Disk Archiver v1.51 software requires some tricks when you are dumping IBM PC 5.25" disks.

1. To dump 5.25" 1.2MB floppy disks , you need to select 3.5" 1.44MB format on SDC Disk Archiver v.151 GUI.
2. You can't use a 1.2MB disk drive to dump a 360kb floppy disk - Although no errors will show on SDC Disk Archiver , the .SDC file/image will be corrupted above cluster > 176. ( reported bug )

[END UPDATE]

Yesterday I received a SuperCard Pro board. This is an alternative to the KryoFlux board to help you dump your floppy disks in a modern HW.
As far I know, these are the only 2 cards you can use to dump any floppy and still on sale today. (DiscFerret looks abandoned - http://discferret.com/wiki/DiscFerret )

As I have both cards, I did a very "basic" review on both cards. Disclaimer : This is not the "ultimate" or the "best" review. Is just from a regular user.

You can find KryoFlux here : http://kryoflux.com/ and the SuperCard Pro here http://www.cbmstuff.com/

As you can see on the pictures below, the boards are very similar in size.
<- SuperCard Pro on left / KryoFlux on right ->

Here some things about the boards :

SuperCard Pro

1. There is a MicroSD slot on the card. There is no function for it now, but the developer is promising 2 new functionalities

a. A floppy drive emulator
b. A Commodore low-level, cycle exact 1541 disk drive emulator

My assumption is : You will be able to access ( write/save ) the dumps directly from/to the MicroSD and as a floppy emulator, the host will also see/emulate the card as a real floppy drive. There is no additional information about it.

2. There is a 6 pin expansion port that is for an adapter to use a standard Commodore IEC connector when using it plugged to a Commodore 64/128 ( not available yet, and only useful when the drive emulator firmware is available )

3. Power supply for 3.5" disk drives if your USB is powered.

4. A bi-directional floppy bus. Only useful after drive emulator firmware release.

On KryoFlux board there are no expansions or other connections interfaces that can be used on a firmware upgrade

1. You have a "reset" switch on the board
2. You have a JUMP to block the "write" command to prevent any unauthorized write to the floppy disk.
3. a Molex power supply and a 3.5 disk power connector ( not exactly useful for me, as you need to add a supply the power to the board with a +7V power adapter )
4. Jtag - for development
5. You have the regular flopply disk data connector and the USB port ( "printer" type )

From functional perspective there are also some differences.

What you can and can't do with the software provided ( not all functionalities, of course, just the useful ones ):

SuperCard Pro

1. You can have a setup with 2 disk drives and duplicate a floppy disk directly from a disk to another disk
2. You can dump the disk to a .SCP file "stream" format ( one file )
3. You can dump the disk to a limited images formats : G64, ADF. There are no support for IMG or other formats for now. ( see [update 1] above )
4. No-Flip Mod. This function allows you to read the backside of disk without having to remove it from the drive, flip it over, and re-insert it into the drive. You need a MOD disk drive.
5. Disable Index Sensor : This is very useful when dumping disks with no index hole on both sides ( you can read and write disks this way ).
6. You can analyze the disk ( or images ) and write changes at track level
7. You can perform some basic tests ( Max Track, Media, Drive Speed )
8. You can erase a disk
9. You can wipe no used tracks during a dump/copy, Copy Half Tracks, and verify a write operation.
10. Weakbits RAW or Fixed. This is more useful now for commodore users to dump images with copy protections. Does not impact the disk copy/duplication functionality. Only the dump for a .g64 image.
11. No command line. You must use the GUI.
12. You can use the SCP format as input to create the .g64 or .ADF disk image
13. No logs
14. The SCP format is not yet very well supported on emulators.
15. SCP format is documented and open ( you can download the specification )

KryoFlux
1. You can dump the disk in a KF raw format ( preservation streams ) and for several images format at the same time. ( .img, .dsk, .g64, etc. )
2. You can use the KF raw format as input to create the image files
3. KF raw format are "several files" based on the disk size.
4. The KF software ( DTC) is very flexible, and the command line options give you freedom to create your scripts/batch files to dump the disks
5. The "log" file can be done in several ways and it is very detailed
6. There is a "intermediary" format, named IPF. You cannot generate a IPF format using KF available tools ( there are some third-party tools ). But you can send them the KF raw files and if the file is a "original" and "unmodified" dump of your disk, you will receive back the .IPF file. The IPF file is supported by several emulators.
7. Write back to disk is supported since Oct/2014 via command line or with a Windows GUI. You first need to dump the disk to a KF raw format and them write it back
8. IPF format can be implemented by any emulator using a decode library provided by KF team

So, my conclusion is that today, KF provides for ME more options to dump the disks I need. There are more third-party ( not covered here ) software to convert KF raw files to other formats ( including formats that support copy protections ) than the SCP format ( may be this can change in future ). I couldn't find for example a way to covert a SCP file to IMG on windows ( on Linux I believe there is one option ). So for IBM PC dumps, I can dump, but I can't use the .SCP file. ( well I can write it back to another floppy disk )
If you find something wrong, please let me know and I will update.

BzzBr

Last edited by BzzBR on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [REVIEW] KryoFlux vs. SuperCard Pro        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:08 am 
Administrator

One other advantage to the KF I see is that it has a much more lively community, despite its lower sampling resolution and lack of fully open sourced format. I considered getting a SCP for myself but decided against it as I can't see any intermediate way of using the generated files in any decent matter. But with the KF I can directly use their CAPS library and get support not only for the STREAM format, but also for IPF, CTRAW and other formats they directly support. What point is there to preserve stuff in a format that no one uses? I like the virtual floppy idea of SCP, but it would be a matter of a new firmware and software for the KF team to implement that, as well as the drive2drive copy feature if wanted. But I believe these are not features that are highly requested, but rather more features when it comes to properly preserve and use the generated images. The KF team is also working on a new format that will be fully open sourced, replace both STREAM and CTRAW and have all the benefits of both and none of the disadvantages. And it will be easily supported in their libraries for us to include in our emulators...

And as we all know, the best hardware doesn't always win, but the hardware that is mostly used, supported and adopted... there are several examples of this in history (VHS vs BetaMAX, BD vs HDDVD, vintage MacOS vs Windows, ISA vs MCA etc) where one format/system is superior to the other but failed due to bad acceptance or market penetration. In this case the KF has a brighter future as it adopted a larger user base, expanded with the right features and thus gained a better foothold against SCP.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW