BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 4h, 20m | CPU: 54% | MEM: 2922MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Programming        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:55 pm 
FTP Access

It questions me a lot. Well, two things first. 1: I don't know how to code C, C#, C++, VB (All versions) and any other desktop languages. I can code two web languages, HTML and JavaScript (Just started learning it on Friday), which I don't particular like JavaScript due to the pathetic limitations. For instance, if I wanted to make a confirm box popup constantly as a joke. I couldn't because when I use the loop code, it'll popup with an error in IE saying "ERROR!! OBJECT UNDEFINED" or "EXPECTED IDENTIFIER!!". Something such anyway. It is an ok language, I haven't really went into coding as I've mainly used a web builder (Macromedia Dreamweaver) for building websites, combined with Photoshop CS2 images for the background, buttons, etc. I've been learning Javascript off the W3schools website, which it doesn't seem very well to follow to be honest.

I kinda feel pissed off as well, the fact that I'm 16 and still haven't learnt any programming languages. I did a bit of PHP back in October last year, which has gone to the back of my head somewhere. I liked PHP but it kinda puzzled me when I had an ambition to build a forum which was text based. I mean, what really puzzled me was; How would it work? Just... how? But meh, I'll learn PHP properly later on. I mainly want to learn desktop programming (I'm separating the two types of languages. HTML, PHP, etc as web programming and C#, C++, etc as desktop programming), as I've always wanted to learn programming. I can do anything else (Well... anything to a Windows based PC that doesn't involve changing the system files) such as, repairing the OS, enhancing the look, etc. As well as enhancing the hardware (Cooling, overclocking, BIOS settings, etc).

However, it's always been an ambition to program for a good few years now (I've been using computers since the end of 2001), as I've been learning since day 1. I mean, what really drove me into these systems, was gaming. I wanted a "console" that would play games with great gameplay and graphics. Well, the C&C series mainly attracted me to the PC. I remember playing through the first on PS1, which I hated at first (I was mainly a fan of games such as: Star Wars The Phantom menace and Tenchu back then.

The use of Windows is what mainly drove me to where I am today. Games was what I always wanted back then. I'd fix the errors that occurred within the system, enhance the performance of the system, etc, just to play games. I remember fixing system errors which prevented me from starting the system at all!! Which, back then I didn't have the internet, I had to figure out how to solve the problems that occurred then, by myself. I wasn't able to look up solutions in PC-gamer magazines or any of that since every users error is different from the next. Now, well... I don't play games much, as all I want to do is learn!!, to learn more about computers, in the sence of how they work/function.

I've came up with tons of ideas on how to make computer systems function better than they should. I've even came up with ideas that haven't been implemented into the operating systems, which they should have. The problem is for me "How do I do this?". Whether or not their possible. Which I'll always be optimistic about what's not possible, as there IS a possibility to what's impossible. I've also, not only had the ambition to learn how to code a high level programming language, which I've had one which many say is impossible for a single person to do it, well, perhaps a project full of different people can. Which is to program an OS. An OS which is simple, attractive and easy to use. IF I did, how would I get Windows programs on it? If I programmed it so that it was compatible with the programs that were written for Windows. Wouldn't that be a legal issue?

Anyway, moving on. Coding an OS maybe is a little over the top if I haven't properly coded before in my life. I mean, thats jumping the first step (Coding a standard program). I have already tried to learn C++, but the problem was. All the tutorial seemed to teach me was on how to make simple messages popup in CMD. I always want to get to the point in something such as programming. I'd rather just be able to program an actual program. A guide that gives me instructions on what makes it work, and then the features that were implemented into the program. Same with JavaScript. I didn't want to make simple messages and confirm boxes popup. I wanted to learn how to draw graphic in HTML, with animated menu's and such.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
download a copy of Hydra irc and log on the reactos irc site, those guys can answer ANY questions you have, these guys do C, C++ and java programming for a living ( and for fun ) Network: FreeNode
Main IRC Server: irc.freenode.net find #reactos

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:15 am 
FTP Access

betaluva wrote:
download a copy of Hydra irc and log on the reactos irc site, those guys can answer ANY questions you have, these guys do C, C++ and java programming for a living ( and for fun ) Network: FreeNode
Main IRC Server: irc.freenode.net find #reactos

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:52 am 
Donator

Just a small add-on: If you develop an OS that can execute programs written for Windows, you're unlikely to run into legal issues unless you're using (stealing) code from Windows itself. Just look at WINE and ReactOS which share a good bit of code when it comes to compatibility with Windows programs: Both of them are designed to be able to run Windows programs without any legal issues.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
yeah, i would start with programming usermode applications and then move to kernelmode apps,drivers etc when you programming knowledge is more advanced, i.m.h.o

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:12 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Looking from what you wrote, you may need to actually learn the thinking skills needed to program.

There are hundred of professional programmers getting paid 80,000 USD a year who do not know what an ISO image is? Why is that? The most important part of programing is learning how to think and solve problems logically. Furthermore, you must be able to instantly break apart systems and reorganize them into computer code.

I would recommend a two step approach. First, learn how to program tasks in C# or even Basic. It is important that you spend a lot of time on this stage months, maybe even a year or two. You should be able to create not only the demo program but your own. Furthermore, you should make dozens of programs which focus not on specific command, but rather various loop concepts. As you get better you could probably do some XNA stuff to make it more fun...

Second how to program in ASM x86 (it will help alot). Off course, by this time you probably will understand this :)

Yet, i'm gonna say this for the 3rd time...
The most important part of programing is learning to think like a program. It takes time, commitment and maturity. Remember, instead of spending 12 hours installing the newest and coolest flavor of Linux, you could instead be learning how to program :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:13 pm 
FTP Access

So far I can do this...

Code:
#include <stdio>

int main()
{
int x;
int y;
int z;
printf("Please enter your age \n");
scanf("%d", &x);
if (x > 100){
printf("Thats a big number \n");
}
else if(x < 100){
printf("Thats a small number \n");
}
else{
printf("Thats a number \n");
}
printf("Please enter a number \n");
scanf("%d", &y);
if (y <100> 100){
printf("Thats a large number \n");
}
else{
}
printf("Please enter another number \n");
scanf("%d", &z);
if (z > 100){
printf("Thats a large number \n");
}
else if(z < 100){
printf("Thats a small number \n");
}
else{
}
getchar();
return 0;
}

:D Tis much better than JavaScript!! [/code]

Last edited by livelonger87 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:14 pm 
FTP Access

Frozenport wrote:
Looking from what you wrote, you may need to actually learn the thinking skills needed to program.

There are hundred of professional programmers getting paid 80,000 USD a year who do not know what an ISO image is? Why is that? The most important part of programing is learning how to think and solve problems logically. Furthermore, you must be able to instantly break apart systems and reorganize them into computer code.

I would recommend a two step approach. First, learn how to program tasks in C# or even Basic. It is important that you spend a lot of time on this stage months, maybe even a year or two. You should be able to create not only the demo program but your own. Furthermore, you should make dozens of programs which focus not on specific command, but rather various loop concepts. As you get better you could probably do some XNA stuff to make it more fun...

Second how to program in ASM x86 (it will help alot). Off course, by this time you probably will understand this :)

Yet, i'm gonna say this for the 3rd time...
The most important part of programing is learning to think like a program. It takes time, commitment and maturity. Remember, instead of spending 12 hours installing the newest and coolest flavor of Linux, you could instead be learning how to program :)

From now on!! I'll be resitting my Maths GCSE (Putting a lot of time into learning the stuff I missed out on in school), my alevel ICT coursework!! And the rest will be dedicated towards learning C!! :D

Top  Profile