BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 16h, 34m | CPU: 63% | MEM: 5954MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: SSDs perfect for archiving?        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:36 pm 
FTP Access

I was talking to someone about solid state disks having decided to buy an eeepc and prices are coming down (I've seen a couple of 32GB SSDs for little more than £100) and their weakness is in writing to them.

Here's an example: http://www.memory-configurator.co.uk/products/description/32GB_Transcend_2_5-IDE_Internal_SSD_Solid_State_Disk/.
Check out the MTBF, that's a staggering 410 years.

It's nothing particularly critical compared to a HDD but SSDs are limited in how much you can write to them because after a certain number of writes each part of the SSD eventually fails and the drive will, over time, shrink because less and less functioning space on the drive...

Now, as long as you don't write to them too much you have in theory a storage method that will last way beyond a human lifespan (or several, in fact)... This strikes me as the perfect way to store betas and other important historical computing data.

What do you all think about this, do you think it'll last as long as I'm thinking, do you think storing important documents and data on these things is wise?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SSDs perfect for archiving?        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:21 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
moonlit wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it. It is far more effective to store data on a regular cd/dvd/Blue-Ray in an air tight box then to have it in this contraption. Laser based devices rely on relective properties of the material, which in the case of a CD-ROM can be only changed by light exposure... (or, I suppose scratching)

moonlit wrote:
Now, as long as you don't write to them too much you have in theory a storage method that will last way beyond a human lifespan (or several, in fact)... This strikes me as the perfect way to store betas and other important historical computing data.

The best way to store historical stuff is to diversify the storage facilities; with digital formats all that maters is the information and not the meathod for storage. Consquently, the document being stored on a jump drive or on a website makes no difference. Therefore, the only thing necessary is to have lots of information and then the media it is stored on becomes irrelevant.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
from what i have experienced good old old cdr,s are the most relieable (o long as they are secure and only used sparingly ) i think a on-line storage solution is a good idea as well, make sure its a professional service, not some free-by site.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:25 am 
FTP Access

SSD's will be great, the problem with cd's and dvd's(as with all optical media, stored for long periods of time) is that when you burn them yourself they will last at most a decade. Unless you have one of those disc presses, SSD's are probably best.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:52 pm 
FTP Access

Deathwarder wrote:
SSD's will be great, the problem with cd's and dvd's(as with all optical media, stored for long periods of time) is that when you burn them yourself they will last at most a decade. Unless you have one of those disc presses, SSD's are probably best.

That was my reasoning, optical media and tapes break down over time, SSDs don't.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:18 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
moonlit wrote:
Deathwarder wrote:

That was my reasoning, optical media and tapes break down over time, SSDs don't.

Only when stored in light :D. Place them in the dark; lets say a dark box and it works without problems...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:52 pm 
FTP Access

I personally back up my data onto DVDs, but I'm making a switch to a couple small SSDs (16 GB each, but they hold IMPORTANT stuff like taxes, etc). Both of these are in different locations - one in my safe and one in my bank's safe deposit box.

Both of these (along with DVDs) are backed up once a month and brought back to their respective locations.

It's always good to keep backups/copies of backups off-site, too!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:57 pm 
Administrator

SSD:s should be nice since there are no moving parts. But as with all important backup it has to be stored in a place where no major shifts occur of heat, humidity, light etc. Some air-tight safebox somewhere. And of course, keep a duplicate backup on some other media somewhere else if it's really important...

But SSD:s will be so much since since it's smaller, lighter, cooler, silent and isn't prone to hardware failures as mechanical stuff is.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:00 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
10 long years, frig the scene anymore.

Kids think they have deep in sources at the age of 12, why bother caring when no one receives respect anymore, they assume bullcrap, but that's all they are.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile