BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 5h, 39m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 6523MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:44 am 
FTP Access

Bordeaux, sometimes in Paris, France, maybe also in R.W

Favourite OS
So I present you my project that I started before coming to this forum : WDPSL (pronounced WinDPSL) formerly WNTDPSL.

Featuring Chicago 73f and others in VMware Workstation 11 without any problems.
That doesn't mean it is for Vmware only...

1. What's the goal of this project ?
    2. This are the current limitations of the project and will be fixed later
    3. What is already fully implemented ?
    4. What's planned ?
    5. List of Identified bugs in V5
    6. List of "rumors" this project has already broke
    7. Downloads (Supported Releases)
    8. Old Versions
    9. Change log
    10. Example of an installation of Windows installed by WDPSL
    11. Q & A

What's the goal of this project ?

Fixing Non-WIM Based Setups by automating the process to fix them.

DP : Disk Preparer : Automatically format the hard drive using the correct filesystem.
    SL : Setup Launcher : Automatically find and launch Windows Setup Correctly using the best method and the correct arguments

The project will be a boot floppy, kept as light as possible, including all fixes for :

CHICAGO
      NASHVILLE
      MEMPHIS
      MILLENIUM
      WHISTLER
      NT 5.0
      NT 3.1
      NT 3.5
      NT 3.51

and additional fixes for non proper isos file structures (missing oemsetup.exe and etc...)
    Also Included is a Windows Setup Path Detector, by example if your windows setup is placed in this path :
    D:\WINDOWSNT5\BUILD1515\NOTi386\ instead of D:\i386\ it will work.

Also fixes are Future Proof : If a new build (which has not leaked when I last updated the script) pops up and the setup is not dramasticaly different from another build, It will work and install correctly. This is done by detecting key files to detect the type of setup which is on the media and apply fixes only for this type of setup. The only exception in this case will be the NT OS/2 early releases, as they need a proper configured registry hive in order for the account system to work.

SmartDrive also auto-load, providing you a better setup experience with a setup speed increased by 50%.

This are the current limitations of the project and will be fixed later :

Setup cannot create multiple partitions
    Setup cannot fix floppy setups.
    Some chicago builds give an error about config.sys and autoexec.bat
    Setup is not able to load Windows Setup if multiple windows builds are on the same DVD with Auto Mode. (Won't Fix) (I'm looking at you build 222 Multilingual)

What is already fully implemented ?

Full support for winnt.exe setups.
    Full support for 9x setups.
    Full support for NT OS/2 setups.

What's planned ?

Automatically detecting if the Windows DVD contains an 9x version of Windows or Windows NT.

List of Identified bugs in V5 :

Chicago build 122 does seems to hang at boot for a while, this needs to be investigated.

List of "rumors" this project has already broke :

Early Chicago builds cannot be installed in newer vmware without using 4.x compatibility mode
    Early Chicago builds cannot be installed from an MS-DOS newer than 5 or 6

WARNING :

Please report bugs for 9x based configurations including build number here and not at the url shown in the floppy. This will be fixed in a later release.

Downloads (Supported Releases) :

Change log :

Code:
V1           - Initial Release
V2           - ADDED : Second installation method
V3           - ADDED : Auto windows setup detection in case of non-original setup media.
               FIXED : Windows Setup did not find the Correct Setup folders.
               FIXED : Some versions of Windows Setup did not recognize the /b switch
V4           - FIXED : SmartDrive Support
V5 Build 13  - ADDED : Experimental 9x Support
V5 Build 14  - FIXED : FAT32 partition is used instead of FAT16 for Win9x
V5 Build 15  - ADDED : Chicago build 73f, 73g and 81 support, enjoy :)
V5 Build 16  - ADDED : Chicago build 58s support
V5 Build 16a - FIXED : Some errors in script
V5 Build 17  - ADDED : build 116 support.
V5 Build 17a - FIXED : Links and the start of improving the ui.
V5 Build 17b - FIXED : UI
V5 Build 17c - FIXED : More UI Components
             - ADDED : DOS Prompt Mode
V5 Build 17d - FIXED : More UI Components - Take 2
             - ADDED : Unattended file support.
V5 Build 17e - FIXED : Typos
V5 Build 17f - ADDED : Upgrade Workaround (Thanks Lukas Marsik and AlphaBeta for the tip !)
             - ADDED : Setup Scandisk detector, should prevent the annoying press ESC screen
V5 Build 17g - FIXED : Chicago type with trans.bat setups, setups not recognizing the /is switch and Setup not able to load
               setups from root dir.
V7 Build 19  - Complete rewrite
               Added Unfinished Unattended Mode
               Reduced loading time
               Better setup detection
               NEW: NT OS/2 Support
               NEW: DOSLFN Support
               NEW: CD-ROM with Joilet and/or LFN Support
               NEW: Pentium Patch applier
               NEW: Auto Direct Disk Access Enabler
               NEW: DOSKey Support - Enhanced Command Prompt
               NEW: JO.SYS - Auto detection of disk partitions
               NEW: Fix for NT OS/2 SDKs

Example of an installation of Windows installed by WDPSL :

Chicago build 122 (Non Bootable) installed in Vmware

Chicago build 73g (Non Bootable) installed in Vmware Workstation 11 without manual fixes applied.

As you can see the drive has the WDPSL Label, showing that it has been installed with WDPSL using the Win9x Mode.

Q & A :

Q: Why focusing on chicago support only on v5 while you have me, 98 and nashville ?
    A: Because Chicago includes the beginning of what I call the 9x Setup and it changes in every early builds, once all builds installs fine, I'm sure Me 98 and Nashville will install correctly too.
[/list]

Last edited by gus33000 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 48 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Interesting project, I'll keep an eye on it. :)

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Build 99 confirmed to work with WDPSL in Vmware Workstation 11, it installs without problems, probably the earliest build that is supported as of V5 build 14 :

Without config.sys patching and with unsupported DOS Version :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Identified the problem that prevent the installation of pre-99 builds, they try to access the files on the cd instead of the ones on the hard-drive, currently investigating for a fix.

Edit : Fixed :) , currently implementing the cab32 autofix.

Last edited by gus33000 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Excellent stuff, looks like something I may even use myself.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:44 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
<insert fox century 20 here>

Yes, this is 73g, yes explorer is working properly and yes this is in Vmware Workstation 11. :) and without using 4.x compatibility mode, using plain 11 mode.

What's New in Build 15 :
Support for Chicago build 73f, 73g, 81

Edit : Bug in 58s, currently fixing. (Firstly 58s should be installed on a vm with a 386 like cpu, (So no vmware) and I need to fix a bug with the dossetup.bat launching and it's done)

And for people who don't believe it here is a screenshot of build 73f in vmware workstation 11 :

Last edited by gus33000 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Success : Bug Fixed

but :

Chicago build 58s cannot be installed on vmware due to an incompatibility with the cpu it emulate. In this screenshot I used the latest version of Qemu Manager but it is not bug proof, after a restart you can't launch windows :

I'm testing some additional things and I will upload the new version.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Builds confirmed fully working as excepted with the latest version (17) without any assistance :

73f (Tested in Vmware Workstation 11) using Windows 95 as Guest OS
73g (Tested in Vmware Workstation 11) using Windows 95 as Guest OS
81 (Tested in Vmware Workstation 11) using Windows 95 as Guest OS
99 (Tested in Vmware Workstation 11 and Qemu Manager, use fail-safe mode (aka Safe Mode)) using Windows 95 as Guest OS
116 (Tested in Vmware Workstation 11), use fail-safe mode (aka Safe Mode)) using Windows 95 as Guest OS
122 (Tested in Vmware Workstation 11 and Qemu Manager, use fail-safe mode (aka Safe Mode)) using Windows 95 as Guest OS
189 (Tested in Vmware Workstation 11) using Windows 95 as Guest OS
216 (Tested in Vmware Workstation 11) using Windows 95 as Guest OS
224 and onward (Tested in Vmware Workstation 11) using Windows 95 as Guest OS

Last edited by gus33000 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
gus33000 wrote:
When chicago build 116 setup starts the folowing message is displayed :
Quote:
This Program needs Microsoft Windows

This is because this build is not intended to be run from DOS but from Windows (Won't Fix)

Did I said this, forget this now.

What's new in build 17 :

Added Chicago build 116 support (If you use Vmware, try safe mode)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
One path for multiple windows builds on the same diskette is the same path that is taken by the other windows installer project: that is, navigate to the directory that contains the setup files, and then let it decide what version is there. It could then work out what the setup params are by collecting a pipe of setup /? and getting valid options from there.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
This seems useful. I'll try it later with some older Chicago builds. Thanks and keep the good work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:15 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
os2fan2 wrote:
One path for multiple windows builds on the same diskette is the same path that is taken by the other windows installer project: that is, navigate to the directory that contains the setup files, and then let it decide what version is there. It could then work out what the setup params are by collecting a pipe of setup /? and getting valid options from there.

That would be nice but impossible with the localized versions, I will see what I can do.

In the mean time doing some ui work :

Soon™

edit : more screenshots of the ongoing work :

Edit : 17b released

What's new in 17b ?
UI Improvements - feels like 9x boot setup now.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Version 17c :

ImageImage

Added DOS Prompt Mode.

Who will guess the future usage of inifile.com ?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
5840 x64
Is it worked on VMware Workstation 10?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
AyamiOoruri29 wrote:
Is it worked on VMware Workstation 10?

I haven't tested but it should work as I fixed the problem with the build configuration. Please report any problems if you find any.

In the mean time :

What's new in 17d ?

Unattended file support.

This is the syntax :

In WDPSL.INI
Code:
[Unattended]
choice=0 ; Preselect the mode of operation [0 Ask user; 1 Load NT DVD; 2 Load NT + Copy Setup into HD; 3 Load 9x Mode; 4 Reboot straight away <- useless but meh; 5 go to dos prompt]
autoreboot=0 ; Auto reboot without asking [1 for Yes; 0 for No]
skpwelc=0 ; Skip Welcome Screen [1 for Yes; 0 for No]
wrnmsg=1 ; Shows 9x Disclaimer Messages [1 for Yes; 0 for No]

Edit : BTW I already done a boot floppy that does auto install NT OS/2 build 1.0 in the past (like 2 years ago), I think I can redo it. So it is possible. This will come as part of V6 when I will finish the V5 M2 cycle. I'm just waiting for reports of successful installations of chicago builds ATM.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
<Insert second fox century 20th video here>

Nashville installed successful on latest version and runs well on VMware 11 with 11 hardware support, it is also amazing to see that changing two system variables in an OS can change everything.

Edit : Who said 944 MB of RAM was way too overkill for 95 and Nashville ?

ImageImage

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
What's new in 17f ?

Added Upgrade Workaround (Thanks Lukas Marsik and AlphaBeta for the tip !)
Added Scandisk detector, should prevent the annoying press ESC screen

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
What's new in 17g ?

Code:
V5 Build 17g - FIXED : Chicago type with trans.bat setups, setups not recognizing the /is switch and Setup not able to load setups from root dir.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I'm starting to work on NT OS/2 support right now, I will post a status update when done.

Edit : Does anyone know how to enable direct disk access for a drive in DOS 7 without asking the user to answer Yes ? Because the lock command does ask the user.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:17 pm 
FTP Access

Here is a screenshot of 342 installed with WDPSL

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Does this installer work in PCem?

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Battler wrote:
Does this installer work in PCem?

Yes, it should work. But don't except NT 1.0 to work.

After many hours :

Success

Edit : Same script, different build, different emulator, same results :

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WDPSL v6 - Build Pre-18 : Work in Progress, cannot release now due to bugs and things that are not finished Sorry, maybe tomorrow.
I post this to keep you informed of the current state of the NT OS/2 support. For those who are wondering, this doesn't only works in Vbox and I didn't use a patched registry hive.

[youtube2]http://youtu.be/5gTVIrSbdgM[/youtube2]

Edit : I really need another inifile editor...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Did anyone got build nt 328 running without problems ? Because I'm getting this after txt stage setup I would like to know why this is happening.

Edit : I have an idea of why this is happening, let me try something
Edit 2 : fixed, only problem left : inifile.com not supporting files > 60KB

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: WDPSL: Windows Disk Preparer and Setup Launcher        Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I think I will solve the problem by placing a menu asking to launch edit.com or choose some pre-edited initial.ini files.
For those who don't know what the processor error is here is a screenshot :

Top  Profile  WWW