BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 14h, 57m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 2277MB of 3947MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Halo 3 - It didn't feel as good as it should be        Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:50 pm 
FTP Access

I'll admit, the single player campaign was amazing, imense. Well... towards the end of it anyway. What I'm on about is... the two games before felt like they featured new gameplay elements. They felt... new compared to the previous successor. Halo 3 did not. The only new thing I seemed to notice was the AI improvement and new graphics and of course, new maps and such.

I'll be honest, I felt that the beta mp version of the game was more fun than the final mp. I really don't know what killed it off. It annoys me, because Halo 2 made me go to the bank just to get a debit card (I'm 16 by the way, I don't own credit cards or paypal yet)) to get on Xbox live to play the game online!! One game!! It was one of the main reasons I wanted an Xbox 360 when it was first released!! (Perfect dark zero, Kameo & PGR3 was also another reason for me to buy the 360). I'll admit that the Xbox 360 was amazing!! Well... when it first arrived. Leading off the topic slightly...

I hate the way technological standards change so fast!! I remember when I admired the XP interface from Windows 98, now I admired the Vista interface, and so on. The standards change so fast in todays world!!

The standards in my book are slightly different in games to be honest. I preffer most previous gen games (Xbox, gamecube, PS2, previous gen PC games) than the current. There are few that make me go "Wow..." (Mass effect), unlike the previous gen which had tons of games that had that "Wow" factor implemented into themselves. I remember being completely addicted to the likes of Jade Empire, KOTOR, Breakdown, Halo 1+2, C&C (Up to Tiberium Sun). Most of them felt special in so many different ways, whereas now, practically none do!! Some of the demos felt better than the final games to me!! (Just cause demo was more fun than the actual game)

However, moving back onto Halo 3. The game was amazing once I had finished it. But like I said, it didn't feel new. It had all been done before, infact worse in my case. I loved the way it ended but it seemed a lot worse in many areas. It seems to me that the game tried to implement too many realistic detail to make the graphics seem better... a good thing and a bad thing. Fun isn't about realism, it's about enjoyment. I think dev's are forgetting this. I'll support Crysis when it comes to the realistic graphics because the game seemed as if it was specific for that type... "Eye candy". However, Halo 3 I say no. It felt like there was too much detail in the game, when I shoot people (Online) in it, it doesn't feel as good as the previous games did. Most of the crates, objects felt too big. I mean, it just didn't feel good at all. It wasn't all that fun. Infact, I'm playing Halo 2 instead of this crap online!! Halo 2 has much more fun factor than Halo 3, which is a big shame... :(

To sum it up: Halo 3 beta was more fun in my opinion than the final game in multiplayer

Also, the moral of this discussion is: Graphics aren't everything :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:09 pm 
FTP Access

Well, I just downloaded Halo 1: Combat Evolved for 1200 Microsoft Points on Xbox 360 Marketplace, and so far, I love it. Obviously, the graphics aren't as good, but for an a previous generation game, it really is amazing. Halo 3 was also amazing at first, but got old quickly for me. Currently Call of Duty 4 is my addiction, but so is a lot of other things. :)

I still go back every year to play a couple of old favorites. For example, every holiday season, I insert the "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back" into the NES "Game Genie" and stick that into the Nintendo Entertainment System. And that game is a killer game to play. To this day, I still cannot beat it because it is frickin' impossible without OR WITH the Game Genie! And I didn't need graphics or high-quality MP3s playing either for an amazing experience. Instead, I have 8-bit synthesized themes of Star Wars and 3-colored palette faces from actors of the movie.

And yeah, that's my theory on gaming.

For computing, I miss Classic Mac OS A LOT! And Windows 2000 I still use everyday. I don't need that extra eye candy to make me feel better. Personally, Mac OS 9 looked so beautiful back in the days of Windows 98 and ME. Don't get me wrong, Vista and Leopard are beautiful, but I guess you just have to move on, now don't you? :)

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
on the subject of computing: move on my butt! i have a laptop w/ vista premium collecting dust while my ancient computer with 350mhz of raw power with a multi boot of windows 98se, WFW 3.11, and DOS 7.10 is getting more use than ever! if it ain't broke, dont fix it.

with video games: i have a PSP with a 4 gig memory stick almost completely dedicated to the classic systems, sega, NES, n64, you name it, i play the newer games, but they aren't as challenging as the classics IMHO...

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:31 pm 
Donator

teriaki 511 wrote:
i play the newer games, but they aren't as challenging as the classics IMHO...

ACK. I also love the old classics.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:36 pm 
Administrator

Well, Halo has become the "Super Mario" of Microsoft. Like the Super Mario franchise Halo has become the front row title for any Microsoft console marketed. So we'll prolly see Halo 4, 5, 6 and a bunch of portable versions for some "Xbox Pocket" or so in the future... unless Microsoft quits making consoles or pisses off Bungie :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:41 pm 
Permanently Banned

mrpijey wrote:
Well, Halo has become the "Super Mario" of Microsoft. Like the Super Mario franchise Halo has become the front row title for any Microsoft console marketed. So we'll prolly see Halo 4, 5, 6 and a bunch of portable versions for some "Xbox Pocket" or so in the future... unless Microsoft quits making consoles or [censored] off Bungie :)

Afaik, Halo 3 was going to be the last in the saga. Correct me if I'm wrong and state sources.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:18 pm 
Administrator

Ah.. well, too bad... I loved the first Halo, and second one was enjoyable too. I have yet to play Halo 3 tho (I am not a console gamer, unless the console can be emulated :) ). But I don't see why Bungie couldn't churn out a new Halo... it doesn't even have to cover the current timeline, it could be a prequel or whatever... say a story about the time Halo was built etc :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Halo        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:46 am 
FTP Access

I liked halo 1 a lot halo 2 was good and halo 3 was great. I agree with everything being to big in halo 3. The graphics in halo 1 were bad halo 2 better, halo 3 great. The story in all of them were great. I didnt like multiplayer in halo 1 and I think that the full halo 3 was better than the beta.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Halo        Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:50 am 
Donator

wolfhunter3 wrote:
I liked halo 1 a lot halo 2 was good and halo 3 was great. I agree with everything being to big in halo 3. The graphics in halo 1 were bad halo 2 better, halo 3 great. The story in all of them were great. I didnt like multiplayer in halo 1 and I think that the full halo 3 was better than the beta.

Don't bump threads older than 30 days.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]