BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 19h, 29m | CPU: 65% | MEM: 5635MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Installing touchscreen onto ASUS Eee PC        Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:57 pm 
FTP Access

A very small notebook from what I can see but this seems a neat how-to :P
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N8-BbOWVgXg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N8-BbOWVgXg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Hope you guys enjoy!! :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
m waiting for the new models to be released this year, then the older models will get a bit cheaper :wink: , im not prepared to pay 499 for a ultra small laptop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:00 am 
FTP Access

I'll be getting one next month if all goes to plan, been waiting for one since I heard of them way back in last year... They look like awesome little toy machines, perfect for playing with.

I sorta thought about waiting but when you think about it, if you always wait for the better model you'll never buy. Besides, the current gen eee is already of a spec that's perfect for me so whether there's a new one coming or not this one makes sense.

At ~£200 though I don't think it's a massive thing to suggest upgrading every year or two when bigger SSDs/higher resolution LCDs/etc are added. Some people change phones that often and they cost similar prices.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:19 am 
Donator

moonlit wrote:
I'll be getting one next month if all goes to plan, been waiting for one since I heard of them way back in last year... They look like awesome little toy machines, perfect for playing with.

That sounds good. What do you plan to use it for? And are you going to install another OS (such as XP or another Linux distro or a big cat) on it? If you do, please don't hesitate to tell your experience. I ask because I was tempted to get one as well (as a toy to play around with) but eventually scrapped the idea and got a "real" subnotebook instead as I found this to be a better match for my requirements.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:53 am 
FTP Access

I have no laptop currently and I've never needed a lot of power on the road so this little beast is perfect for browsing/email/music and video/typing a document or two and the occasional game on the move. Maybe throw a few emulators on it for fun too. The main attractions for me are the size and price really.

I plan on getting a stack of SD cards for storage and possibly for alternate OSs, perhaps a DVB-T tuner and I was also considering an HSDPA modem as well for internet on the go. A 7800mAh battery might be nice too, giving an estimated 8 hours battery life between that and the standard 4G's battery. I'll likely carry my bluetooth dongle too, just in case.

Planning on installing XP on it, probably MCE 2005 or plain ol' XP with Media Portal. Should have plenty of power, the Celeron M and 512MB RAM will be more than enough for almost any OS that would fit on the 4GB SSD. I might experiment with a certain striped big cat too but I don't expect to use it full time. Played with Backtrack 3 on an SD card on my desktop, works nicely, might keep a 1GB SD card with that on too since an SD card is hardly gonna add much to the weight/bulk when carrying it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:49 am 
Donator

@emperium: I dont remember if it was posted here or not, but if it wasnt, they've got OSx86 on that thing. http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12654/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:57 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
make sure your windows xp is sp2 or you will have trouble, i have been hanging around http://forum.eeeuser.com/ and noticed that windows xp pro sp2 nlited seems to be the best, if your adventerous you could try windows 2000 or if your crazy you could try vista. i would love to video of the striped cat working :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:37 pm 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
@emperium: I dont remember if it was posted here or not, but if it wasnt, they've got OSx86 on that thing. http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12654/

I know of that, and I also happen to run OSx86 on my notebook, but I was still curious to hear what others have been/will be doing to the EeePC as it is a very interesting device up to an extent.

Top  Profile