Apperantly I'm being harsh

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Locked
stitch
Permanently Banned
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:09 am

Apperantly I'm being harsh

Post by stitch »

http://www.zimmy.ca/pub/andy.txt

In leiu of that, if anybody has complaints on the lines "me being insulting", please to send me a digitally signed OpenPGP email to with the subject BA:Harshness. Any non digitally signed EMail will be ignored.

Thanks. This will keep me informed.

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

Zimmy wrote:http://www.zimmy.ca/pub/andy.txt

In leiu of that, if anybody has complaints on the lines "me being insulting", please to send me a digitally signed OpenPGP email to with the subject BA:Harshness. Any non digitally signed EMail will be ignored.

Thanks. This will keep me informed.
If someone wants to complain about you, whats the point of complaining to you directly about it? You're the one thats apparently being "harsh" or "insulting", so you know you have done it.

If a member wants to complain about a member thats up to them and for me to decide what action to take. Quite often a complaint is never followed up because its not serious enough. And ignoring normal e-mail is pretty pointless. I doubt anyone will go through the hassle of bothering to e-mail you anyway if they have to do all of that just for you to receive it.

If anyone does find a member insulting, feel free to post so and give the person chance to apologise. If it still continues, feel free to contact a moderator or myself and something more will be done.

Speaking as myself and not an admin, making petty posts like this won't get you anywhere. It will only make people think you're an ass.

DanielC
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Apperantly I'm being harsh

Post by DanielC »

Zimmy wrote:send me a digitally signed OpenPGP email
In the immortal words of Mrs Taylor ... "What a f**king liberty!" ... and "What a load-a old sh*t!" ...

Do not banned, deal with it ...
~ Dan

stitch
Permanently Banned
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:09 am

Post by stitch »

craig wrote:I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Andy. If I receive a complaint about something I have done, I make sure I don't do it again. Sometimes when you post something you might not think its offensive, but it might cause offense to someone else.

Oh, and call me dumb, but whats a Digitally Signed OpenPGP email?
Craig, I would agree with Andy if, and only if, I knew what he (and the other members of the community) concidered harsh. I generally try to be resonable, but he's not being anything near resonable. I ask details regarding the complaints and I get nothing. Therefore, I have no information about what post(s) were harsh and who I should be a bit lighter on. It's the internet, people are going to be harsh. If you can't deal with that, well, you shouldn't be on the internet in the first place. I think it'd be fair to know the information regarding the complaints forseeing how they were made against myself, but if the administration wants to play those games, so be it.

Craig (again), a digitally signed OpenPGP email is a verification of your identity with a PGP/OpenPGP/GPG certificate, usually signed with another person's GPG cert. Similar to SSL, but better encryption and more widely used in the field of emails and other sorts.

DanielC: "Do not banned". I'm staff on the forum that orignated from. I can also give you another quote we use there, it's called "lol, internet".

betaluva
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 2068
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Australia

Post by betaluva »

dude, i think your losing the plot? this is a web forum , not a court of law?

KenOath

Post by KenOath »

Well' I'm going to add my 2 cents worth & hope you don't take it the wrong
way...
When you make a post or reply to a post, try re-reading your post back
to yourself & ask yourself if it was a reply you'd take back as a reply
from someone else...

I'll give you an example...
Zimmy wrote:No, "betaluva", you didn't answer my question. You just put out some random crap that it's their own business. Sure it's their own business, but I'd like some reasons on why they do it.
If someone were to say that to you, would you not flare up & become
defensive, because that's not the frame of mind to be in whilst here, posting
on a beta forum...
I'm quite sure that if Betuluva was a clairvoyant, & knew why people
reshacked windows operating systems, he'd have posted such, instead, he
posted that it's no big deal, & was insulted for doing so...
There's enough crap to deal with in the real world without having to come
here & put up with more of it, voluntarily...
You're one of the members from Winboards if my memory serves me right,
well, the posts there were mostly mudslinging & derogatory, the environment
there wasn't one that encouraged new members to stay & post, it was one
that very few would tolerate, it's not the attitude we need here else we end
up like OSBA...
It may be a little hard to understand how you're being "So Called" insulting
when to you, it's your everyday attitude that everyone around you in the
real world accepts, unfortunately, here in the world of forums, we can't
see your expressions whilst replying to a post, & can only try to interpret
the meaning of your posts through words, which unfortunately can & are
often mis-interpreted the wrong way...
I guess smileys are our only way of adding expressions or personality to
our posts in an attempt to be taken the right way...
I'll give up ranting now & hope my 2 cents worth gave you food for thought...

happy dude
Donator
Posts: 2461
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Post by happy dude »

Zimmy wrote: DanielC: "Do not banned". I'm staff on the forum that orignated from. I can also give you another quote we use there, it's called "lol, internet".
Not really, being a mod doesnt coutn there, like everyone is a mod

moonlit
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 514
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:02 pm

Post by moonlit »

I have to admit I've said stupid stuff on forums, here and elsewhere, and I apologise for that. The reason I say that is because I think we all make mistakes and we say dumb stuff we don't mean, perhaps as a result of a bad day or a weird mood or simply after misinterpreting someone. At the end of the day though that's all it usually takes - an apology.

You can usually tell if you've made someone get a bit funny about something you said and all you need to do is say "sorry mate, I took it the wrong way, shouldn't have said that, hope we're cool".

As KenOath said (with the addition of excuses I've heard elsewhere), this might be "just the internet" but there's no reason to be intentionally (or repeatedly unintentionally) hostile. Life's full of crap as it is, the internet is where we come (again, as KenOath said) voluntarily to have our fun. Let's try to keep this place one of the more pleasant bits of the internet to frequent.

If your opinion differs from others' then that's fair enough, we're human, we think, and we don't always think the same way but if you learn to live and let live and agree to disagree then it's not all that hard to get along.

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

moonlit wrote:I have to admit I've said stupid stuff on forums, here and elsewhere, and I apologise for that. The reason I say that is because I think we all make mistakes and we say dumb stuff we don't mean, perhaps as a result of a bad day or a weird mood or simply after misinterpreting someone. At the end of the day though that's all it usually takes - an apology.

You can usually tell if you've made someone get a bit funny about something you said and all you need to do is say "sorry mate, I took it the wrong way, shouldn't have said that, hope we're cool".

As KenOath said (with the addition of excuses I've heard elsewhere), this might be "just the internet" but there's no reason to be intentionally (or repeatedly unintentionally) hostile. Life's full of crap as it is, the internet is where we come (again, as KenOath said) voluntarily to have our fun. Let's try to keep this place one of the more pleasant bits of the internet to frequent.

If your opinion differs from others' then that's fair enough, we're human, we think, and we don't always think the same way but if you learn to live and let live and agree to disagree then it's not all that hard to get along.
I think you hit the nail on the head with those wise words...

Koptor
FTP Access
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:37 pm
Location: Lincolnshire UK

Post by Koptor »

Zimmy, me and you have had our differences in the past. But I like you now, lol. You talk sense most of the time, and this offends some people. Purely because the truth hurts. And that's why I'm seen as some kind of huge troll on here.

I'd also like to point this out...
Andy says (12:21):
ok, you like arguments, argue this one http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3335
Andy says (12:22):
and notice the forum is in favour of me
Hmm...trying to incite arguments on his own forum?

Anyhow, I agree with what Zimmy is saying, if he doesn't know what exactly he's done wrong, how is he supposed to rectify the problem?
lol, internet

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

Koptor wrote:Hmm...trying to incite arguments on his own forum?
Does it bother me? If people want to argue they will, if they don't, they won't. I can't force people to argue a point either for or against me. Its a personal opinion.
Koptor wrote:Anyhow, I agree with what Zimmy is saying, if he doesn't know what exactly he's done wrong, how is he supposed to rectify the problem?
He does know what he's done wrong, and its been explained in this thread. KenOath also pointed out one time when he was in the wrong, and I'm sure if I browsed through some of the threads he has posted in I could come up with a lot more. I didn't keep the PM's I was sent regarding Zimmy being insulting so I can't even quote from those, but the fact remains, he know's he is doing it, he just doesn't want to believe it. Maybe thats good for him but for other members on the forum it doesn't help matters.

Koptor
FTP Access
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:37 pm
Location: Lincolnshire UK

Post by Koptor »

Andy wrote:He does know what he's done wrong, and its been explained in this thread. KenOath also pointed out one time when he was in the wrong, and I'm sure if I browsed through some of the threads he has posted in I could come up with a lot more. I didn't keep the PM's I was sent regarding Zimmy being insulting so I can't even quote from those, but the fact remains, he know's he is doing it, he just doesn't want to believe it. Maybe thats good for him but for other members on the forum it doesn't help matters.
Well, if I was to get 'done' for abuse or whatever on the forums, I'd want to be presented with a list of examples.
lol, internet

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

OK then, here are two.

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2336
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/view ... hp?p=22882

Despite being from late last year, they still show the sorts of comments I'm on about.

For example the spelling one. Total over reaction because he didn't bother to read the topic properly, and then he got insulting and bitchy over it.

Koptor
FTP Access
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:37 pm
Location: Lincolnshire UK

Post by Koptor »

Andy wrote:OK then, here are two.

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2336
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/view ... hp?p=22882

Despite being from late last year, they still show the sorts of comments I'm on about.

For example the spelling one. Total over reaction because he didn't bother to read the topic properly, and then he got insulting and bitchy over it.
See, it wasn't that difficult. Could have done that initially, then this topic possibly wouldn't have been required.
lol, internet

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12628
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

Koptor wrote:
Andy wrote:OK then, here are two.

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2336
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/view ... hp?p=22882

Despite being from late last year, they still show the sorts of comments I'm on about.

For example the spelling one. Total over reaction because he didn't bother to read the topic properly, and then he got insulting and bitchy over it.
See, it wasn't that difficult. Could have done that initially, then this topic possibly wouldn't have been required.
I would have given them to him on msn but he promptly went offline seconds after posting this thread giving me no chance to even send him them. Coincidence or deliberate I don't know.

longview
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:45 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Post by longview »

Zimmy wrote:DanielC: "Do not banned". I'm staff on the forum that orignated from. I can also give you another quote we use there, it's called "lol, internet".
I'm from SomethingAwful and while wishing no undue offence to you, that phrase is called "get out."

While I'm all for telling people to shut up and not taking the internet seriously, your Stop Stealing post was mostly just you wenting your nerdrage on us thinly disguised as a question thread and you acted like a jerk when people gave fairly legit reasons and a lot of forums would ban you or at the very least timeban you just on the OP alone.
And being mean and being funny is fine by me, but you're just being annoying, ergo you completely deserve a ban.
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

Beta Freak
FTP Access
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:05 am

Post by Beta Freak »

It only makes you look like (more of) a twat if you post something like this.

betaluva
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 2068
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Australia

Post by betaluva »

what i dont understand is his preaching! why do we have to follow his orders? DO NOT STEAL! hey, i got one, DO NOT PREACH !

Locked