Break Glass

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Break Glass

Post by Frozenport »

I am trying to design a program to break glass with my computer speakers
  • Is it possible?
  • What is the range of frequencies that usally breaks glass
  • Anybody have any recomended .Net sound libraries?
(using)
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

ddew
Donator

Post by ddew »

It's possible but insanely difficult to accomplish. You'll need to find the resonance frequency of the particular piece of glass you wanna break and that varies with the type of glass, the thickness of it, if there are any imperfections in it and probably the manufacturing process.

Once you have the frequency it's pretty much just a question of creating a tone with that frequency and then simply pump up the volume until it breaks.

Mythbusters did an episode about it a while back, if my memory serves me right it was sometime during season 3. The accomplished it through a huge stack of speakers. It is possible to do it vocally as well but I'm guessing that takes incredible precise control of your vocal chords and the ability to very precisely pinpoint the resonant frequency.

Good luck

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

I googled for you and found this:
Singing Wine Glasses - sciencebuddies.org
You'd probably have to try out different tones, but I also found this:
Most glasses are not tuned to true pitch. For instance, a glass which might sound like a Tenor C# or 550 hertz might be slightly higher (550.3 hertz) or lower (549.9 hertz).
Most mid-tone speakers will do the 500Hz range, but I'd recommend trying this out in something like Adobe Audition where you could make a sound file with several frequencies and measure results.

I'm not sure but recording you tapping the glass should give you a somewhat accurate range of frequencies to try.

Also I should note that you need a precise match between frequency and volume, so it will likely take a huge amount of time.
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

don't crack your monitor now

bob
FTP Access

Post by bob »

lol whose monitor has glass on it nowadays? ><

and it was episode 31 http://mythbustersresults.com/episode31

The trick the mythbusters used to break the glass with a speaker, was a piece of wood with a small hole in it between the speaker and the glass, this made it resonate in a different way or something

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Status Quo just had big amps and speakers, and did lots of strumming to do it on Brainiac

bob
FTP Access

Post by bob »

Brainiac apparently fake their "science"
I dont trust their program at all now
http://www.badscience.net/?p=270

Mythbusters ftw!

ddew
Donator

Post by ddew »

Brainiac is a completely different beast. It's a kid-show where entertainment in the form of explosions or other extravagant things is the main objective. Mythbusters OTOH is targetting adults and although it uses science as an excuse to blow stuff up it usually does so with an explanation of how and why.

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

Okay...

I spend a couple of hours writting a quick little program to control the sound frequency... Yet when I cycle through all the possible frequencies; i get nothing, not even noticeable shaking...

Any suggestions?
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

ddew
Donator

Post by ddew »

Volume, volume, quality and more volume.

The sound has to be quite intense and by quality I mean a very, very precise tone. Afaik you won't succeed if you're off by even a fraction of a hertz.

You should also check out the sound coming out of your speaker, an oscilloscope or just a high precision instument tuner could do wonders.