BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 16h, 5m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5756MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Slot Loading iMac G3 No Sound        Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:04 am 
Donator

I recently got a slot loading iMac G3 off ebay. The seller mentioned the sound not working but I thought that it might be easily fixable. So far, I haven't had much luck in getting it to work. Plugging in external speakers didn't work. The only sound I could get out of it was from the second headphone port on the front. But other than that, I don't get any sound. I don't wish to use headphones on my iMac G3 all the time. The strange thing is that in the Sound panel in the System Preferences, the output tab only has one choice and that's "Headphones - Built-in port" even if headphones are not plugged in. I am running Mac OS X 10.3.6.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
run a cable from the headphone socket to a amplifyer or run the cable to some sort of bassbox or speakers that has a "line in"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:43 am 
Donator

Mdogg your in aussie land arent you? Maybe you can buy these and replace the ones in your mac...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/iMac-G3-internal ... dZViewItem

(No guarantees)

Alternatively crack open your imac (WARNING! The CRT's components are EXPOSED! TAKE CAUTION!) and unplug and replug in your speakers... see if that works

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:28 pm 
Donator

I'm not so sure that it's the speakers that are broken because plugging in external speakers doesn't seem to work either. I've checked the Apple website and they said that the cable might have been unplugged or something by a RAM upgrade. I checked the RAM and plugs near it but didn't find anything unusual

betaluva wrote:
run a cable from the headphone socket to a amplifyer or run the cable to some sort of bassbox or speakers that has a "line in"

That works well except first of all, the front headphone plugs are loose and you need to hold down the plug with one hand to get the sound coming through and that makes life a lot harder when playing games or attempting to do Control+Click with the mouse. Second of all, it would just be nice to get the internal speakers working.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
well then post this on a mac site, they could help you better than we can.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:10 am 
Donator

Well I've figured out why the iMac G3 doesn't work. The headphone board is broken and thinks there are headphones plugged in all the time and the iMac G3 responds to that by stopping the flow of sound to the internal/external speakers.

Is there any way to disable the headphone board within Mac OS X or do I have to open the iMac G3 and if so, what should I do after opening?

Top  Profile