BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 12h, 59m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 1819MB of 3249MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Why I hate the modern computing age        Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Although I'm not sure if this goes in the Computer Discussion Forum or the Offtopic Discussion Forum, I have seen many changes in the Computing world and I am not impressed with most of them. No offense is intended and I know many of you are also intrested in the old technology.

The Computing World used to be about the way we use information. It used to be about getting your work done faster, easier, and about easily exchanging information. You did your work on Computers, and you also played games to pass the time if you owned a Computer at home. The Computing world used to also be a great place for children to learn and play and Educational Software was all the rage. Children enjoyed many Educational titles like the Reader Rabbit and Living Books lines. And they would get reviews in many Computing related magazines. Back in the day, you could open a Computing related magazine and expect useful articles and great software reviews. They wanted to help average users. You could go into the Computing related sections of a book store and expect many useful Computing related books and manuals. You were also allowed to have a choice and to have your own oppinion. There were few, if any attempts at bashing Microsoft products. Magazines allowed you to choose your own oppinions and be happy with them. You could also easily use dial-up connections because there wasn't a lot of junk on the web to slow it down. Some people also used Netscape Navigator instead of Internet Explorer. Did I care? No. Why not? Because it was used right, and was not a Microsoft bashing tool.

But the Computing World lost that. The Computing World is now about consumer electronics including Digital Camaras, iPods (no offense intended), HDTVs, Cell Phones (again, no offense intended), and a lot of other electronics that should not be included in the computing world. In my oppinion, it's OK for you to be intrested in these electronics, but I would like computing related magazines to go back to the way they were. The Computing World has also become very Anti-Windows. You can take a magazine that was intended for average users and find articles about Linux directed at forcing people who should never be using Linux into using it. They hate Microsoft, and anything about Microsoft. No offense intended but I would like Linux and FireFox more than I currently do if they were not Microsoft bashing tools. In May 2004 (three years ago) I got a PC World issue with a "Full Disclosure" article in the back about "fixing" Longhorn and was against that Rover charactor in the Windows XP Search feature and even used a censored word. I don't know why Stephen Manes would get angry about the Rover charactor. Why does he care about the design when he should care more about how it works? He has become a Genuine Microsoft basher. And this was three years ago!!!! You think this is bad? Linux developers are directing Linux as an educational tool. They want children to bash Windows. On the cover of "The Offical Ubuntu Book" or whatever it's called, one of the people pictured is a Ten year old girl. Schools in Indiana (USA) are loading Linux on their systems (no offense intended). Linux is a poor OS for children, and Linux developers should know that. There is even the "BadVista" Campaign, which is devoted to preventing us (including our innocent little children) from purchasing Windows Vista and forcing everyone into using Linux. There is also an Anti-Windows website with a censored word in the name. No offense intended, but in my oppinion, Linux is killing Microsoft AND Windows. I even installed SuSE on a PC I have, and when I attempted to remove it to switch the system back to Windows, I could not remove the boot-loader. The result? I had to replace the hard drive!!!! Should Linux developers get away with their dirty Windows bashing? I don't think so.

Educational Software is all but forgotton today. There are no articles about Educational Software in magazines. No offense intended, but it has all been replaced with teenagers who have nothing better to do then play Violent games that would scare away our innocent little children. They are all into Case Mods. They no longer care about our innocent little children.

You can no longer find useful articles in magazines. It's about digital media. Nothing useful. They are all slimed down and useless. The product flashback for 2001 in a 2007 PC Magazine issue? Windows XP? No. An iPod (no offense intended). And the innovator is Asa Dotzler, the creator of FireFox. It's Microsoft bashing, and I hoped that the product flashback (which was the only useful part of PC Magazine) would help them. In the product flashback for 1997 in a 2007 issue of PC Magazine they even admitted that they take a lot for granted now. In one of them, for 1995, there was a part dubbed "When Windows was loved". Obviously from the title Windows was once loved but is hated today.

And what is also annoying? It's been the modern age for FIVE YEARS!!!! This age just won't go. I never experienced a worse computing age in my life. I would rather drive a space ship than experience this modern age. The Computing World is not a nice place to be anymore, and has become a terrible world for our innocent little children. It's very sad. The Computing World has been destroyed, and the concept needs to return to it's roots. It needs to go back to the way it was. I don't use modern technology much, and the only modern system that I get true enjoyment from is the one that I used to download my first betas and other abandonware and it's not close to my home.

To all those who run old computer websites, Keep up the good work!!!! The Computing World needs all the help it can get from you, and I greatly appreciate your old computing contributions. This is why I love the Internet Archive Wayback Machine (which is in my signature below).

Unfortunatly, I think that this problem is just going to get worse. No offense is intended at any member.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:03 pm 
FTP Access

To kick this off I just want to say STOP SAYING "no offense intended"!!! That would've been infinitely more readable had you not used it practically every other sentence...

Anyway, that said I both agree and disagree which what you've said. The computing world has always been full of warring factions from Windows vs Linux to Atari vs Amiga, Vi vs Emacs and Intel vs AMD. This has never changed and never will, for better or worse it's part of the territory.

Consistently spreading anti-[company] propaganda is really petty unless you have a damn good reason to do so. It'll continue to happen but things like spelling Microsoft with a dollar symbol does nothing but make you look really immature. It's not funny, it hasn't been since 1990-something, give it up. Same for any fanboys though, there are Windows guys running around saying "Linsux lolololol" too. That's not funny either. Nor is calling Macs "Crapintoshes". See the pattern?

While I agree that some people are promoting Linux as an anti-Microsoft tool not everyone is. I personally prefer, and use daily, Windows. I don't object to people using or promoting Linux just as long as they understand that Windows is indeed a viable alternative even if it's not one that they prefer. All popular OSs have their distinct (dis)advantages and as such require a little savvy to make your own decisions on what you (dis)like or (don't) need. I'll also say that despite efforts to make it so, I don't believe Linux is yet ready for the desktop... or more specifically, not ready for Joe Shmoe who can't tell a CD drive from a banana. If you can pull it off though (like Asus/Xandros are trying to with the eeePC) then fair enough, go for it, alternatives are nice sometimes.

As for educational software, I think you could be right in suggesting that there's less of it now though I have to say I haven't really been paying attention. Edutainment packages and games that taught simple maths and english used to be a lot more common, like the Fun School series or even something as simple as Lemonade Stand way back when and it's somewhat sad that they're pushed out in favour of newer, potentially more adult and less educational games.

Magazines I don't think have changed a great deal either, they've always been fairly full of junk for the most part. I used to enjoy reading them and I do prefer reading older (pre-2000, older the better within reason) magazines but I think that's mainly for nostalgia rather than anything else. There's almost no publication out there without bias of some sort, it's part of the editorial industry and you have to filter out the bits you want to accept or believe. Same for newspapers, Knitting Monthly or How To Read Magazines Digest.

I do think though that tech isn't nearly as exciting these days. Look at, for example, what we all thought home computing would be like in the year 2000... massive futuristic consoles with flashing lights and strange shaped shiny stuff... y'know, now that I think about it, maybe they were right, but we seem to have lost our imagination. I've got a couple of books from the 80s about how computers and home game systems work and I used to love them and I probably still would if I knew where they were, despite their intended age group. I'll concede that we no-longer seem to have things like this, you're either thick as pigs' muck or you're a brainbox, there's nothing in between, or so we're lead to believe.

Computers are very technical and are getting progressively more complicated so they were never going to be easy for Joe Bloggs to sit down and use. Sure, most people can just about find their way to typing a letter in Office but if something goes wrong or they can't find something, we get called in to fix it. That's not to insult anyone of course, they know things about numerous other topics that we don't, but my point is that computers aren't as easy to use as we've learnt to think they are. Books like those I mentioned above would be nice for kids to read these days, it's something really lacking in today's computing world. I suspect that we're pretty low on kids interested in hardware right now in comparison with other things, perhaps we just need something to bridge the gap between not having a clue and grasping basic concepts.

As for your thoughts on HDTVs, phones, MP3 players, etc, they really are just condensed computers so really they belong in this world. They almost all connect to computers, they run their own operating systems and applications, they just don't run on x86 CPUs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
The computer world did become more Anti-Windows/Anti-Microsoft. It didn't used to be Anti-Windows/Anti-Microsoft the way it is now. There wasn't a lot of Windows bashing in 1997. But if you type "Anti-Windows" in Google today, you will find 58,000 to 75,000 results for Anti-Windows.

The main reason why there was less Microsoft/Windows bashing in the 90's is because Linux was newer and in 1997 it was only begining to have GUIs written for it.

In my opinion, Linux was based on an OS that was never designed for home users. It was based on Unix. Unix began at Bell Labs in the late sixties when two Bell Labs guys were trying port a game to another type of system and during this, they created Unix.

I dissagree with the decision to release Edubuntu. It's just another attempt at forcing our little innocent children into using Linux.

I have been paying some attention to the concept of computing and it actually is true that Educational software is less common and becoming replaced with violent games.

When I began using PC's, modern technology was more exciting than it is now. I used to go to our local CompUSA and see a lot of cool stuff like powerful Windows 98 (and Windows ME in 2000/2001) based PC's and for a couple of weeks I even got to see the educational PC's but they had so many problems that they removed them :( . You could find a lot of cool stuff in the day.

Also, Magazines have changed. If you compare a PC World issue from 1997 with one from today, it says it all.

Almost all of my PC's are older systems. I don't use modern technology much. Almost all of the PC's I buy today are from the 90's. I even have a couple of really cool old Packard Bell systems. About 99.5% of my PC's are old.

Here's a thing I wondered about. I wonder how children with Anti-Windows parents use PC's. What would happen to them if they used Windows?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:48 pm 
FTP Access

I don't think the anti-Windows thing is quite as bad as you seem to think.
There's a guy in a community I help moderate and he kept feeling like people could freely insult [his choice of OS] but he wasn't allowed to do the same to theirs. I mention this because what you're saying feels similarly one-sided.

As I've said I'm a Windows guy and sure it's irritating when people use nonsensical, irrelevant, meaningless arguments to bash a company or product they really know little to nothing about but that's their opinion. You get people who are fanatic about everything and you'd have be blind not to notice those rallying against Linux and MacOS (or *BSD or any other OS/company).

I don't think Windows is as bad as some claim and nor do I think Microsoft are particularly evil considering they're a large American corporation and they do what they do to make a profit, just like any other company does. It's business. The downside to Linux and other free or open source software is that it doesn't (usually) make money. You can sell support, but that's not the same as selling a pre-packed shrink wrapped piece of software.

On the other hand some people can't afford to deck out 200 PCs with Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Microsoft this and Microsoft that and in a lot of these cases a correctly installed copy of whichever distribution of Linux and OpenOffice will do the job just nicely. Whether it will excel at what you want it to do depends entirely on just that; what you want it to do.

Refurbishing a computer with Linux and giving/selling it cheap to a youth group or school or other place that deals with kids raises no objection from me. I will say though that I think anyone who intends to work in an office should get comfortable with Windows and Office since whether anyone likes it or not, they're industry standards.

At the end of the day you pay for reliability and compatibility (that goes for Linux too if you bought a distribution that came with support).

Ultimately though use what you use and if it stops doing what you need then try something else. Some people are perfectly happy with Linux and, just as is sometimes the case with Linux users trying to convert Windows users, perhaps they really don't want to use what you use.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:13 pm 
Donator

Dude, your constant one-sided "Linux is used as a tool to bash Windows" babbling is seriously starting to annoy me. No offense intended. What is so bad about children/young people using Linux? And I've yet to see a "neutral" PC magazine that tells people to switch from Windows to Linux, they all advertised it as an alternative, but weren't forcing anybody to switch. And as much as there are anti-Windows websites, there are also anti-Linux/whatever websites. Do I care as a Linux user? No. Why? Because they are not worth caring about.

You are far too one-sided.

WinPC wrote:
I dissagree with the decision to release Edubuntu. It's just another attempt at forcing our little innocent children into using Linux.

Noone forces "our innocent little children" to use Linux. Noone forces them to use Windows. Noone forces them to use a computer at all, so what the heck are you on? Really, this statement lacks any logical reason.

And you said you don't want any flamewars. You are right on initiating one saying that everything else than MS is used as a MS bashing tool.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:27 pm 
FTP Access

I too agree that no one is being forced into using Linux or Windows. If anything, you are "highly" persuaded to use Windows since many application-specific programs only work on a Windows platform. I would say that Windows is still infinitely simpler to use than Linux, and Linux is slowly coming up to the Windows standard of easiness.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
QUOTE"I had to replace the hard drive!!!! " that would have nothing to do with linux, you must had a faulty hardrive before you installed SUSE either that or the guy who reinstalled windows for you ripped you off.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:39 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
betaluva wrote:
QUOTE"I had to replace the hard drive!!!! " that would have nothing to do with linux, you must had a faulty hardrive before you installed SUSE either that or the guy who reinstalled windows for you ripped you off.

The hard drive was fine and no one attempted to reinstall Windows for me. I attempted to reinstall Windows. Again, it was the boot-loader. I couldn't remove it from the hard drive. That's why I had to get a new hard drive to reinstall Windows.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:33 pm 
FTP Access

WinPC wrote:
betaluva wrote:

Again, it was the boot-loader. I couldn't remove it from the hard drive.

Then you didn't do it properly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
moonlit wrote:
WinPC wrote:
betaluva wrote:

I just deleted the Linux partition. It worked for other Linux distrobutions, just not SuSE.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:57 pm 
FTP Access

One reason why I hate the modern computing age?

Everything is simple. I mean, remember back in the day when it took over 3 hours to install Windows 98 because your 486 Packard Bell could only handle Windows 3.11 for Workgroups? Or the Macintosh, back when you didn't need to upgrade to a new system to install the latest operating system, and everything was always the same every release OS. Or even dealing with hardware, trying to run a video game and you had a Double-Speed CD-ROM drive instead of the 4x requirement? Or trying to get that floppy out of your computer without corrupting its contents?

I mean, yes, the internet is great. USB is amazing for being recognizable on most computers. Networking has never been easier. But I miss when eye candy wasn't the most important thing for an operating system. It was the fun of using it. We don't play games anymore, we just get our work done, and move on with our lives, being jealous of not having the OS we dreamed of. I mean, my parents bought an HP computer a few years back, and they got XP Home Edition. It wasn't XP Pro, Mac OS X Tiger, or Vista (a few years later). So I remained jealous. And now, my sister has Vista...and it makes me want to love XP more than ever, but also switch to the Mac.

But man, do I miss 3.x and Mac OS 7 or what!? :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:46 pm 
Donator

WinPC wrote:
moonlit wrote:
WinPC wrote:
betaluva wrote:

I just deleted the Linux partition. It worked for other Linux distrobutions, just not SuSE.

Just as moonlit said, you didn't do it properly, removing the partition is not enough. Blaming the OS for an user error is just lame. The NT loader will behave the same if it's installed and you delete the system partition.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:10 pm 
FTP Access

troyoda1990 wrote:

Everything is simple.

I know exactly what you mean and I totally agree. I think it's great that computers do what you want when you want (usually) but I do think that half the fun was when they didn't.

I remember doing stupid stuff like trying to get Windows 95 on to a machine that was below the minimum spec for Windows 95 that didn't have an optical drive... so I installed on another machine, zipped up the files and transfered them over using a stack of floppy disks.

It didn't work in the end, at least not enough to be usable but man was that fun. Seems like a really dumb idea and pointless to boot (lol) but it gave me a challenge, something to try to do even though it wasn't supposed to work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
moonlit wrote:
troyoda1990 wrote:

Everything is simple.

I know exactly what you mean and I totally agree. I think it's great that computers do what you want when you want (usually) but I do think that half the fun was when they didn't.

I remember doing stupid stuff like trying to get Windows 95 on to a machine that was below the minimum spec for Windows 95 that didn't have an optical drive... so I installed on another machine, zipped up the files and transfered them over using a stack of floppy disks.

It didn't work in the end, at least not enough to be usable but man was that fun. Seems like a really dumb idea and pointless to boot (lol) but it gave me a challenge, something to try to do even though it wasn't supposed to work.

One time I renamed some of the folders in "Program Files" on our old 486 PC :P and when I booted the PC the next morning all the files opened up and when too many files would open the system would crash :D :D :D :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
im trying my hardest not to rude so i will repeat myself, you do not need to replace your hardrive to remove suse.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
betaluva wrote:
im trying my hardest not to rude so i will repeat myself, you do not need to replace your hardrive to remove suse.

I got my copy of SuSE last year from a Linux format issue. Also, Novell purchased SuSE. And a Developer I met (who is a Windows/Linux developer) seemed to know about this issue.

Edit: I read empireum's workaround.

Last edited by WinPC on Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:38 pm 
Donator

WinPC wrote:
betaluva wrote:

I got my copy of SuSE last year from a Linux format issue. Also, Novell purchased SuSE. And a Developer I met (who is a Windows/Linux developer) seemed to know about this issue.

Edit: I read empirum's workaround.

Which workaround are you referring to, if that was supposed to be my nickname?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
WinPC wrote:
In my opinion, Linux was based on an OS that was never designed for home users. It was based on Unix. Unix began at Bell Labs in the late sixties when two Bell Labs guys were trying port a game to another type of system and during this, they created Unix.

I get it, you're just a stealthy Microsoft fanboy who feels threatened by change.

Seriously, Edubuntu and other educational Linux systems are a terrific choice for security and usability once it's set up and saves schools a ton of money otherwise spent upgrading computers and buying licenses.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
empireum wrote:
WinPC wrote:
betaluva wrote:

Edit: I read empirum's workaround.

Which workaround are you referring to, if that was supposed to be my nickname?

Sorry, I fixed the spelling now. Also, I was referring to "fdisk /mbr".

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
longview wrote:
WinPC wrote:

I get it, you're just a stealthy Microsoft fanboy who feels threatened by change.

Seriously, Edubuntu and other educational Linux systems are a terrific choice for security and usability once it's set up and saves schools a ton of money otherwise spent upgrading computers and buying licenses.

Terrific? Linux is too hard for most kids to use. Also, most educational software is old, so why would schools need new PC's when old ones are great for such purposes. And Linux is too hard for most kids to use.
And most educational titles are written for Windows and Mac. Not Linux. So Linux wouldn't be very useful for kids if it's incompatible with most educational titles. And did you hear of the "Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation"? They gave our local library new PC's. That's better than switching to Linux. And finally, I don't dislike Linux as an OS alone. What I dislike is people using it as a Microsoft bashing tool and promoting it as what it isn't. When people used to use Netscape Navigator, I didn't care because it wasn't used as a Microsoft bashing tool.

Linux was never originally designed for educational purposes either. In my oppinion, it's a better business OS than an educational OS.

I'm sorry if I sound annoying, but Linux is better for purposes such as running business's or running server's.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
WinPC wrote:
longview wrote:
WinPC wrote:

Terrific? Linux is too hard for most kids to use. Also, most educational software is old, so why would schools need new PC's when old ones are great for such purposes. And Linux is too hard for most kids to use.
And most educational titles are written for Windows and Mac. Not Linux. So Linux wouldn't be very useful for kids if it's incompatible with most educational titles. And did you hear of the "Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation"? They gave our local library new PC's. That's better than switching to Linux. And finally, I don't dislike Linux as an OS alone. What I dislike is people using it as a Microsoft bashing tool and promoting it as what it isn't. When people used to use Netscape Navigator, I didn't care because it wasn't used as a Microsoft bashing tool.

Linux was never originally designed for educational purposes either. In my oppinion, it's a better business OS than an educational OS.

I'm sorry if I sound annoying, but Linux is better for purposes such as running business's or running server's.

In most schools, from 1st grade (age 4-5) to 12th grade (17-18) the computers aren't used for educational games anymore. They are increasingly used with web-based applications, and when you combine Web2.0 apps with graphics-heavy n00b friendly apps, you would get a very slow system, if it wasn't new. And the 'hard to use' comment is insane. The kids won't be messing around with the innards of the system. They won't need to use the Terminal, or learn how to install a NIC. The main apps on that system would be WINE-based Windows apps, Firefox, OpenOffice, and Calc. Windows wasn't meant for use in an educational setting either. It was also meant for business use.

OK. The fanboyism stops now or I'll lock the topic, and get you all warned.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:43 pm 
Donator

WinPC wrote:

There are enough distros nowadays that even a monkey could use. Yes, they're that easy. So care to back up your statement? Ten years ago when I started using it, that statement might not have been as wrong as it is now.

WinPC wrote:
And finally, I don't dislike Linux as an OS alone. What I dislike is people using it as a Microsoft bashing tool and promoting it as what it isn't. When people used to use Netscape Navigator, I didn't care because it wasn't used as a Microsoft bashing tool.

Again, not everybody does this. Some (annoying) fanboys do it, but not everybody. And Microsoft fanboys are at least as annoying as Linux/Apple/whatever fanboys.

WinPC wrote:
I'm sorry if I sound annoying, but Linux is better for purposes such as running business's or running server's

You do sound annoying indeed, and that's ("Linux is better for...") a pure personal opinion that I, for instance, do not share at all. But that does not matter.

Think about this: You're saying that you dislike Linux fanboys who constantly bash Microsoft. You, in being a MS fanboy, aren't doing any better.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Can the Admin/Mods please lock this topic?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:01 pm 
Donator

Best thing that could've been done to this topic (being locked).

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]