Bad Problem

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Jeff
Donator

Bad Problem

Post by Jeff »

I had some old parts laying around in my basement from my old computer that I knew worked. I put them in a case with a powersupply that worked a little while ago. However, now when I try to turn it on, it does nothing. Is it the Power Supply? I may have also been a little careless to let the motherboard touch some packing peanuts, but would that give off a lot of static? I've also tried shorting the pins of the power button on the motherboard with a screwdriver, but that didn't help at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
-Jeff

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Check the fuse.
Check the socket its plugged into is good with some other appliance.
Check the power lead.

If they fail, then the psu is probably dead. Try another psu on the board and see if it springs into life.

Why you had a packet of peanuts on a bare motherboard I don't know, but I don't think a packet of peanuts is conductive. Wrong type of foil I think.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

You can also test the PSU by connecting it to the wall and then short-wiring the green wire on the ATX connector to the black (ground) one beside it – after disconnecting it from the mobo, of course. That tells the PSU to start up. Be careful to connect the correct wires. If the PSU starts up, it's okay, otherwise it's definitely dead.

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

OK, ill try to short the PSU connector soon, however the grean led lights up on the board so i know it gets the standby power from the PSU.
-Jeff

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

Sounds like a problem on the board.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Toshua123 wrote:Sounds like a problem on the board.
I thought this at first but it shouldn't work at all if this was the case...

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

I think im going to take the computer apart and lay it on a table so I can work with each part without obstructions from the case (the PSU blocks most areas on the motherboard)
-Jeff