Blocking websites

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
___
Donator

Blocking websites

Post by ___ »

How can i block certain websites (lemonparty etc...). i put it in my host file but i found out that it still loads (don't leave the net on when you have friends drinking at yours). When i use ping to ping lemonparty it comes back with 127.0.0.1 as the ip

edit:block all programs not just IE or Firefox

casablanca
FTP Access

Re: Blocking websites

Post by casablanca »

___ wrote:How can i block certain websites (lemonparty etc...). i put it in my host file but i found out that it still loads (don't leave the net on when you have friends drinking at yours). When i use ping to ping lemonparty it comes back with 127.0.0.1 as the ip

edit:block all programs not just IE or Firefox
Router options usually have some option for blocking everything. That's how my dad used to block my younger siblings from accesing stuff like that.

kichimi
Donator

Post by kichimi »

you cud set up a squid proxy server
The better candies are in the cage

RentedMule
Donator

?

Post by RentedMule »

Im not sure why adding the domain to the hosts file isn't working. The setup I have here is a box running DNSMasq as my name server, and I can specify an "alternate" hosts file to use on top of the normal /etc/hosts. I call it /etc/bad_hosts and it has a slew of domains that I block. All resolve to 127.0.0.1.

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

ugh, why can't IE7 or firefox have options to block sites