BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 8h, 16m | CPU: 36% | MEM: 2130MB of 4917MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: MayOS Desktop        Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Yes, yet another MayOS topic, but this time, somebody might be interested. Two weeks ago, I started writing a Windows Desktop Replacement for my Programming class at my school. It is due in class this upcoming Monday, if I have school (supposed to be a snow storm), and I was wondering if anybody here would be interested in using it and giving me some feedback. I have a web page set up for it (http://mayos.freezoka.com/index.htm) and if I get good feedback from my teacher, I'm going to continue development, otherwise, come January 10, the program will self destruct itself. Visit the page above to download it

Screenshot:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:33 pm 
Donator

What do you mean by self destruct? Will it cause the OS to be inoperable (i've never done something like this before)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
no, lol, what i mean is that MayOS runs over Windows Explorer, so underneath the desktop is your start menu and your icons and all that. MayOS is basically a .Net application, and by self-destruct, i mean that ONLY the .Net application called MayOS will stop functioning

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:43 pm 
Donator

OK, i see. Thanks for straighting that out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:07 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
You're a lucky person, if my programing professor saw that he would instantly fail me...

Traditionally, writting programs involves creating some amount of new functionality. In your case that has been a tool bar?

I would really reccomend that you reassess what functionality your adding. For example, consider skining the windows, or possibly a user interface based on one dock...

Lastly, consider making a wallpaper that is a bit more simple, for example a gradient, or a black and white photo of a flower...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:24 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
well, first, let me start pointing out that i am in a vocational High School- not college, and i am the only person in my class who can write anything more than a program that adds 2 numbers, and before you start criticizing my work, actually use it first, because if you did, then you would realize it does more than you would think, as a matter of fact, i would like to see you make something better, by scratch, without any code from anybody else- go ahead, try it :D

think a little before you criticize me next time

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:54 pm 
Donator

benny1091 wrote:
as a matter of fact, i would like to see you make something better, by scratch, without any code from anybody else- go ahead, try it :D

think a little before you criticize me next time

Not meaning to start a flame war, but how is embedding WMP and IE widgets in .NET not using someone else's code?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
ok, first, a couple of those programs you see running in the screenshot were not written by me, your right- all i was demonstrating in this screenshot is that my program simply captures other programs and makes them run on it's own virtual desktop, so for example, webexplore (the "ie widget") was a program I wrote a few months ago in my shop, and the "wmp widget" is actually the full blown Windows Media Player 11, just the window was resized appropriately

and i apologize to FrozenPort, i dont know if you were trying to insult me, but there was one line in your post that i did find insulting:

Quote:
You're a lucky person, if my programing professor saw that he would instantly fail me...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:21 am 
Donator

benny1091 wrote:
and i apologize to FrozenPort, i dont know if you were trying to insult me, but there was one line in your post that i did find insulting:

Quote:

I agree that it's somewhat insulting, but I don't think that's what Frozenport meant. You should know that most teachers (whether highschool teachers or college professors) teaching a basic programming class would find a student bragging on some managed code (as Microsoft likes to call .NET programs) annoying. Look at it from their point of view. They're teaching the basics, while you write at the highest level (structure-wise) possible. Your browser is probably 100-200 lines of C# code. The same thing without IE's rendering engine (or .NET, for that matter) would take at least 50,000 lines of C (just take a look at Gecko's source code).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
i know what you mean ppc, and i, again, apologize to you and frozenport, because your right

i guess i just let this thing get to my head and it and betaarchive do not need a flamewar or anything over my stubborness about defending it.

admins, feel free to lock this topic

Top  Profile