MacBook Temps

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

Not sure about the ram,
But the cpu is right its a core 2 duo not a pentium M.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Craig,

As far as I would be concerned this is normal. Notebooks are designed to run hotter than a desktop pc due to their compactness and very little (compared to desktop pc's) air flow.

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

I've heard that Macbooks can get uncomfortably hot also, so I wouldn't be worried too much.
-Jeff

seanneko

Post by seanneko »

If anything I would say that your temperatures are quite low.

My Macbook is currently at 60c and all I'm running is Firefox. It can easily reach 80-90c when at full load.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

seanneko wrote:If anything I would say that your temperatures are quite low.

My Macbook is currently at 60c and all I'm running is Firefox. It can easily reach 80-90c when at full load.
Mine's in that range as well, but it's a 1st gen Core Duo, so that may be part of the reason. This is absolutely nothing to worry about.

@craig: As others have said, these temps are okay, if not low. Just out of interest: What temps do you get at full load on both cores? If you have no app to simulate a full-load scenario, you can just fire up a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null &
and let it run for a few minutes, watching the temperature. Closing the terminal window will terminate the jobs.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

craig wrote:I have run that code, for 5 mins.

The temps range from 80*c to 88*c
Same for mine if the lid's open, in clamshell mode (lid closed, external screen and keyboard/mouse attached) it's 5-7°C more. I've never had any problems regarding heat or stability with mine, so you should be good to go.