Hotmail

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Gnome
Staff

Hotmail

Post by Gnome »

Hi,
Ive got a mail server runnign on my server but it cant send to hotmail.
Can anyone help? This is what it says:
mx2.hotmail.com 5
mx3.hotmail.com 5
mx4.hotmail.com 5
mx1.hotmail.com 5
[2007-11-27 22:52:46] INTERNET send mail [2 times] from <admin> to <hotmail> FAILED: 550 DY-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. We generally do not accept email from dynamic IP's as they are not typically used to deliver unauthenticated SMTP e-mail to an Internet mail server. http://www.spamhaus.org maintains lis: hotmail.com(mx) -
mx2.hotmail.com 5
mx3.hotmail.com 5
mx4.hotmail.com 5
mx1.hotmail.com 5
[2007-11-27 22:52:48] INTERNET send mail [2 times] from <admin> to <hotmail> FAILED: 550 DY-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. We generally do not accept email from dynamic IP's as they are not typically used to deliver unauthenticated SMTP e-mail to an Internet mail server. http://www.spamhaus.org maintains lis: hotmail.co.uk(mx) -
mx4.hotmail.com 5
mx1.hotmail.com 5
mx2.hotmail.com 5
mx3.hotmail.com 5
Please help me send to hotmails!

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

You have a dynamic IP, and apparently Hotmail doesn't like dynamic ip-based servers.
2007-11-27 22:52:46] INTERNET send mail [2 times] from <admin> to <hotmail> FAILED: 550 DY-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. We generally do not accept email from dynamic IP's as they are not typically used to deliver unauthenticated SMTP e-mail to an Internet mail server. http://www.spamhaus.org maintains lis: hotmail.com(mx) -
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

Is there anything i can do about it?

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

You have a few choices
1. Order a static IP from your ISP
2. Don't email people @hotmail.com
3. Use an ISP-provided mail account to email people

Why do you need your own Mail server anyway?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

Just as a suggestion, I would use the SMTP service from gmail or something like that if you need to send emails (like registration, confirmation, updates to forum topics, ect.). If you need to provide email accounts to people on your domain, I think google offers a free service.

Edit: Google services for your domain (google apps): https://www.google.com/a/
-Jeff

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Just use your ISP's SMTP server/s...

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Mail servers are incredibly different to run and even I have problem with regards to sending to AOL addresses.

As said above, you can use your ISP's mail server as a relay. Your Mail Server software will have an option to enter this on the SMTP side.

Also don't expect e-mails to get to you either. You have no static IP, no configured rDNS and no SPF record. You'll only get about 25-50% of e-mail sent to you, if you are lucky.