BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 9h, 4m | CPU: 25% | MEM: 2906MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Kiddies: Computers, The Internet, and you        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:16 pm 
Donator

I wrote this and posted this on a couple of other forums and I thought I should post this here due to the amount of younger users...

1) Time you spend on the computer
Sure its ok to spend a couple of hours on the computer per day but anything beyond that... maybe you should be getting a life of some sort. Not only is that spending too much time on the computer is unhealthy (some of us would say otherwise) but the more time you spend on the computer the more crap you post on forums.

2) How many computers you can have at one time
Some of you kiddies like to have 4 or 5 computers to yourself - lol wut? A general rule is to never have more than 2 computers to yourself, if you have more than 2, never use more than 2 at one time, for example a desktop and laptop, PC and Mac etc, and put the rest in storage.

3) Home servers
Yeah its fun to run your own server...but please, you dont need it running 24/7. If its a file server you can have it shut down at night and have it turn on in the morning. You really shouldnt be hosting a web site from home. Why? Well noone is going to look at your website, which means wasting power and money... maybe you should look at that hole your burning in your parents power bill. Plus global warming... if you dont wanna be dead before you turn 50 stop leaving your little servers running 24/7 - buy a VPS if you want to run a website...

I think thats all I have for now... just a reminder also - see that thing in your wall that you can see through? Theres a life on the other side of it... go make some friends instead of being best friends with your PC...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Kiddies: Computers, The Internet, and you        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:20 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
happy dude wrote:
Yeah its fun to run your own server...but please, you dont need it running 24/7. If its a file server you can have it shut down at night and have it turn on in the morning. You really shouldnt be hosting a web site from home. Why? Well noone is going to look at your website, which means wasting power and money...

So why are people looking at BA? Remember that BA ran from a home server for over 1 year. I think you should re-think that statement.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:29 pm 
FTP Access

Quote:
buy a VPS if you want to run a website...

So the police can seize it very easily ?
And if something happens at the datacenter, my server will be down.
(Anyone remember RedBus ? 60% of the French Network had been down during 3 days...)
No way !

I am against server centralisation.
It made Internet less resilient.

And my 24/7 server is not only a webserver, it is a freenet node, a tor exit node and a build server for some opensource project.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Kiddies: Computers, The Internet, and you        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Andy wrote:
So why are people looking at BA? Remember that BA ran from a home server for over 1 year. I think you should re-think that statement.

Seriously, BA is one in a thousand sites. Most peoples websites are completely uninteresting and you know it.

And keep in mind that BA filled a void left after OSBA, that's not exactly common for server-at-home websites.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Kiddies: Computers, The Internet, and you        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:39 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
longview wrote:
Andy wrote:

Seriously, BA is one in a thousand sites. Most peoples websites are completely uninteresting and you know it.

True but I ran two, interesting websites from home, both popular and both of use. BA, and AbyssUnderground. So its two in a thousand.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Kiddies: Computers, The Internet, and you        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
HP keystroke RPL
Also I completely disagree here.
happy dude wrote:
Plus global warming... if you dont wanna be dead before you turn 50 stop leaving your little servers running 24/7 - buy a VPS if you want to run a website...

Clearly the solution is not to stop hosting warez on your cable-modem, but to build more nuclear powerplants. And use the plutonium to make nukes to defend the plants, and use the depleted uranium to make bullets to crush resistance to your global nuclear power regime of cable-modem warez!

I definitely agree with the make IRL friends part though.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:45 pm 
Donator

Andy and everyone else, this was directed to the YOUNGER users of the forum (edit, around 13-16 yars old)...and when I said about the VPS that was to host a WEBSITE not OS's :)

Last edited by happy dude on Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:47 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
happy dude wrote:
Andy and everyone else, this was directed to the YOUNGER users of the forum...and when I said about the VPS that was to host a WEBSITE not OS's :)

Hey, I am young! Anyway I started hosting my own server 4 years ago, so that made me 15, still young enough.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Kiddies: Computers, The Internet, and you        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
happy dude wrote:
Sure its ok to spend a couple of hours on the computer per day but anything beyond that... maybe you should be getting a life of some sort. Not only is that spending too much time on the computer is unhealthy (some of us would say otherwise) but the more time you spend on the computer the more crap you post on forums.
I've got to agree with this point :)

happy dude wrote:
Some of you kiddies like to have 4 or 5 computers to yourself - lol wut? A general rule is to never have more than 2 computers to yourself, if you have more than 2, never use more than 2 at one time, for example a desktop and laptop, PC and Mac etc, and put the rest in storage.
WTF? I have 6 working computers? Not that i can not live with out them but one is my main PC i spend most time on (the strongest computer), one is my iMac G5 because i love Macs and sometimes i preffer to use it instead the PC (no, i CAN NOT switch to 1 platform, basicly because popularity of PCs in Poland and i'm sure half of people living here haven't ever heared of Mac, that means most software i can buy there is PC only), i've got a test PC that is not great specs but i do there a things like testing beta software that i do not want to run nativly on my main PC (especialy the operating systems), i've got a Toshiba notebook that i use when i go out for a lan party or for vacations, also i've got 2 Apple computers for collection pourposes (i like old Apple computers, what?): iBook G3 and Performa 630. I will not sell any of them. Except of those 2 olds, i make use almost everyday of all of them.

happy dude wrote:
3) Home servers
Yeah its fun to run your own server...but please, you dont need it running 24/7. If its a file server you can have it shut down at night and have it turn on in the morning. You really shouldnt be hosting a web site from home. Why? Well noone is going to look at your website, which means wasting power and money...
No, i've known many people that run popular websites on their home servers.
*calls Andy*
happy dude wrote:
maybe you should look at that hole your burning in your parents power bill. Plus global warming... if you dont wanna be dead before you turn 50 stop leaving your little servers running 24/7 - buy a VPS if you want to run a website...
The power bill - good point
Global warming - who cares, that's not a real problem. There are much more serious problems than this crap...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:58 pm 
Donator

FiFi: but you dont have all 6 running at one time do you? :S
And global warming actually means something to me where I am...theres a foundry very close to my house (which is also causing health probs) and some railway thing near us which isn't too good. We cant really afford to mov e :p

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:01 pm 
Donator

The only one I agree with is #1. #2: some people need to do testing for a business fixing computers, ect. (you can work @ 14 in the us, don't know about UK). #3: So what if kids have stupid websites on their home servers. If their parents think its too much money to spend on power, then the parents can tell the kid that, global warming is full of crap (no offense), and some home servers may host development sites for actual businesses (mine does).

Please don't take any offense to anything in this post, it's just my opinion.

EDIT: for #2, I agree that it is wasteful to have 4+ computers running @ once unless you are really serious about hosting for businesses, but having 6 computers around that aren't running 24/7 is fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
happy dude wrote:
FiFi: but you dont have all 6 running at one time do you? :S

No, usualy 2, 3 or max 4. My main PC is usualy up (not in the night or when i'm not at home), iMac is often up, test PC quite often too because i'm always testing something :P, and sometimes i have to do something on my laptop, or when any friend is at home we play Q3 or Q4 or CS using (W)LAN so he plays on my laptop.
The old Apples - not very often, just when i have a lot of time and i'm bored.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
Lol global warming is just a plot to scare everyone. Also i only have one computer on at most times. My XPS 400. I do have an old demension that i test betas on and im soon to upgrade it 512mbs of ram so i can do more with it. Also i think im gonna start a web server soon cuz im always bored and have nothing else to do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Kiddies: Computers, The Internet, and you        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:38 pm 
Donator

happy dude wrote:

I agree with that point, some people do spend too much time sitting in front of computers. But i think that we are all guilty of doing this at some point

happy dude wrote:

What is wrong with having that quantity of computers? providing that you are not spending all your time in front of them all (point 1) then what's the problem?

happy dude wrote:
3) Home servers
Yeah its fun to run your own server...but please, you dont need it running 24/7. If its a file server you can have it shut down at night and have it turn on in the morning. You really shouldnt be hosting a web site from home. Why? Well noone is going to look at your website, which means wasting power and money... maybe you should look at that hole your burning in your parents power bill. Plus global warming... if you dont wanna be dead before you turn 50 stop leaving your little servers running 24/7 - buy a VPS if you want to run a website...

How many 13-16 year olds are going to be able to afford the cost of a VPS each month? People that have home servers are also used by other people in the same house. Adding the ability to host a website is just something to add on the side and it also saves having to buy a VPS.

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:17 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
Andy wrote:
happy dude wrote:
Andy and everyone else, this was directed to the YOUNGER users of the forum...and when I said about the VPS that was to host a WEBSITE not OS's :)

Hey, I am young! Anyway I started hosting my own server 4 years ago, so that made me 15, still young enough.

Im young.
I like having a home server.
Good choice of what rig you want.
Ive only had a server for 1 yr now like.

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:38 pm 
Donator

Also, you probably aren't making everyone happy with you when you call a large amount of the userbase of this forum "kiddies" (see topic title)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:34 pm 
FTP Access

Jeff wrote:
Also, you probably aren't making everyone happy with you when you call a large amount of the userbase of this forum "kiddies" (see topic title)

When I hear the word "kiddies" I think of those less than 13 years old, since I am 17 I am not offended. :P

No seriously, I find the points valid except I think they should be directed at people 13 and up because I find "kiddies" will not break the points (except for the first one). People 13 and up generally use computers often. They should really get off the computer (I think I should too sometimes), turn off the server (My server isn't on 24\7 so I'm fine), and never use all those computers at one time.

My best friend is not my PC, just so you know.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Kiddies: Computers, The Internet, and you        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:59 pm 
FTP Access

happy dude wrote:

I agree with this point. I myself spends too much time on the computer. Alot of people who spend all their time on the computer arent active enough and are at risk for health problems.

happy dude wrote:

I have about three computers (2 laptops and a desktop). I dont use them all at once, though. Usually when Im using one, the other 2 are in hibernation.

happy dude wrote:
3) Home servers

I cant relate to this, I dont have a website.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:11 pm 
Donator

I have 8 ( working ones) but only use 1-3 at a time. I also have a pretty good social life. Its all about balance my friends.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:24 am 
constrictor wrote:
Lol global warming is just a plot to scare everyone.
Indeed it is a scam, but I wouldn't say it was to scare everyone,
more like covering the truth of how & why it's happening...
As it so happens, other planets around us are also warming up as a result
of the "real" reason for why our planet is warming up...
& it's more than one planet that's heating up too..!
Which I feel has more to
do with our diminishing magnetic field as a result of where we're situated
in our galaxy at the monent, soon to be crossing the galactic equator
{in the next 5 years or so} according to solid scientific data...

Here's a few facts on the global warming swindle, or The main page...

Global Warming, phfft, don't get me started...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Right, well I'm 18, so I guess this sort of applies?

I now have 23 computers of my own. I only use 6 as mainstream PCs.

These are :
1. Server 1 : FC9
2. Server 2 : Ubuntu
3. Backup Server : FC9
4. Business PC : Windows XP
5. Testing suite (2 PCs) : Windows XP / Linux
6. Personal PC : Vista x64

PCs 1,2,3,5 are on 24/7. The others are on 6-10 hours a day.

Part of this is because I run my own business, yes, but I have done since I was 15. I'm sure there are a lot of young people who do also.

For years (12-16) I never left my computer screen, let alone my home (well, I worked part time on a weekend in a shop). When I reached 16 I started going out with my "friends" to the pub or w/e and can safely say I missed out on nothing.

While they were at school, spending money, I was stockpiling it in savings accounts. Spending only what I needed to live and whatever.

There is nothing wrong with working on a computer a lot, just have regular exercise breaks, eye breaks etc... I did go walking a lot and always ate healthily so the health implications were not applicable to me.

I now run all these computers from my (yes, my own) house which is also my business premises and I get just plenty of hits to my website. Without spending a penny on it.

I would also like to add, I try to use low energy hardware, and use ecobulbs etc... in the house. My entire utilities bill is <£25 per month (gas, water, electricity, telephone).

For the "kiddies" on forums issue. I was an annoying w*nker on a lot of forums (iexbeta / osbetaarchive / msfn etc... etc...) but the only way to grow out of it is to be told you are annoying, you eventually learn.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:16 am 
Donator

Well your running a business, last time i checked most kiddies don't run a business so its different :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
happy dude wrote:
Well your running a business, last time i checked most kiddies don't run a business so its different :P

I was 15 when I started, and that is within the age range you posted. To be quite honest I know a lot of young people who run a business.

Also please see the last statement of my previous post.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:01 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
I know.
There nothing wrong with that, Is there?
EDIT: 501 Post's WOOP

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7600
KenOath wrote:
constrictor wrote:
Lol global warming is just a plot to scare everyone.
Indeed it is a scam, but I wouldn't say it was to scare everyone,
more like covering the truth of how & why it's happening...
As it so happens, other planets around us are also warming up as a result
of the "real" reason for why our planet is warming up...
& it's more than one planet that's heating up too..!
Which I feel has more to
do with our diminishing magnetic field as a result of where we're situated
in our galaxy at the monent, soon to be crossing the galactic equator
{in the next 5 years or so} according to solid scientific data...

Here's a few facts on the global warming swindle, or The main page...

Global Warming, phfft, don't get me started...

lol you sound like my dad.

Top  Profile