BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 19h, 33m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 6031MB of 10995MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: MS Access Database Help Needed        Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
OK, so heres what I've made. Its a Microsoft Access 2003 database that shows the current name, student Id, address etc of each student in the building.

It can print the current page, save the record, and there is a search feature. I need a way for this to be standalone, meaning I need it so that I don't have to start up Access to view this file. Is there something I can embed this in to obtain this functionality? Can I embed this into, say, a VB app and have it work? Or better yet, put the file as a web application, and let users interact with it.

Is any of that even possible?

Last edited by Bender on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:07 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Doing it as a web app is entirely possible if you learn a scripting language like PHP (by far the easiest language) and also SQL syntax. Then you could build a web application using them. Of course this will require the knowledge of using forms, and PHP/SQL.

You could just make the database open in Access but so it goes straight into "run" mode. There is an option somewhere (can't remember off the top of my head but I believe its in the menu option "Startup").

A VB back end is also possible, but you'd have to build that totally from scratch, including how the program should interrogate the database, so I would think the web app would be easier.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:30 am 
Donator

If you go to Tools > Startup, you can make it so it automaticly goes to a form that you want (or table, report etc...). You can also disable the menu bar and other options. If you want to edit these options you launch the database holding the shift key (might be another key, can't remember) and it loads like normal

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:17 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
___ wrote:
If you want to edit these options you launch the database holding the shift key (might be another key, can't remember) and it loads like normal

I can confirm that you hold shift when you double click the icon to get back into edit mode.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:00 pm 
Donator

This may be a little off topic, but is still relevent. From years and years of experience, you don't want to store address information in the same table as the same table as bare criteria. There always ends up a case of someone without any address, and people with more than one address. Up front, you may think "Who cares, this will work well enough"... trust me. Normalizing your database this way may not HELP but it certainly could hurt later if you don't. Same thing applies for things such as phone number, email address, etc... someone could have none, or have a million.

More on topic, a VB6 app for this kind of thing is EXACTLY what VB6 was designed for.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
RentedMule wrote:
This may be a little off topic, but is still relevent. From years and years of experience, you don't want to store address information in the same table as the same table as bare criteria. There always ends up a case of someone without any address, and people with more than one address. Up front, you may think "Who cares, this will work well enough"... trust me. Normalizing your database this way may not HELP but it certainly could hurt later if you don't. Same thing applies for things such as phone number, email address, etc... someone could have none, or have a million.

More on topic, a VB6 app for this kind of thing is EXACTLY what VB6 was designed for.
OK, now here is the problem.
I've converted the database to Access 97 so that it will import into VB6, but now it has lost its search feature. How can I add this back?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:34 pm 
Donator

There is no need to downgrade your DB to Access 97. In VB6, you would use ADO/DAO, which in turn is built on top of OLEDB/JET. In effect, all you need to use the latest Access "features" is the latest MDAC package from MS...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Also, a built in "search" is not even necessary. You need to know your SQL to do this project successfully, so just build your query to reflect what you are searching for. For example, if you were searching for any person who's last name started with "smith", do something like this:

MyRecordset.Open("Select * from MyTable where Ucase(LastName) like 'SMITH*', ...)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:44 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Honsestly, looking at what your doing,
You probably could do this with VB .net Express 2005; This is probably your best solution because its very, very quick to learn (probably less then 2 hours) and less buggy...

Furthermore, you could probably use ASP. net to upload it - although with an ASP .net server... For webacess

http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/phpmysql

---------
The search feature is a big more fun
You should use a number reflective of the name (I like the first initial) as a meathod of organizing the data as it is being both inputed and outputted. I assume that input will be rare?

This would enable you to organize it aphabettically then make a case statement like if first letter is M continue searching... Honestly, search algorthims are fairly easy for what your doing :-)

Top  Profile  WWW