BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 5h, 25m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5955MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Genuine Longhorn CDs for sale/trade?        Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:36 pm 
Donator

Hey folks,
it´s quite a while ago, that I saw an offer on eBay for an (obviously) genuine Longhorn CD. I believe it was 4053 or so - something from the WinHEC.

Well - now I regret, I didn´t try to bid harder, because I´d really have liked to own such version. Alright - I ordered a German RC1 of Vista, but that´s nothing Longhorn anymore.

So if anyone has a genuine CD or knows, where I might get that, I´d be glad about answers. If you should be interested in Windows Smartphones like me, I could even make offer an interesting trade.

Best regards
Jens

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:25 am 
Donator

That was the stuff from the PDC :P Namronia bought it xD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:21 am 
Donator

Well, congratulations then. For how much did you buy it, Namronia? I can´t remember - and then again I still believe it was a WinHEC-CD. But I might be mistaken with that.

And as question for all others: Did you see Longhorn-CDs appear again on eBay sometimes or was that a rather unique incident? Because I think I at least searched 30 times or so and never found anything like that again.

I suppose asking M$ for a copy would be pointless, wouldn't it be? :)

Best regards
Jens

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:01 am 
FTP Access

I've never seen genuine Longhorn discs, they must be very rare as they were only given out to attendees of a few developer conferences and I expect most are not sold as that must be banned by the licence and as the product keys are unique MS could trace them back to find out who broke the licence agreement (and the only people who go to these conferences are people who would value their relationship with MS a lot and wouldn't risk it for the small amount of cash that they might sell for). The only ones that are common are the Beta 2 and RC1 CPP and MS Partner kits that were available publically, and anything back to Beta 1 was available semi-publically, whereas distribution of the alpha builds (ie pre Beta 1, "proper" Longhorn) was very limited. The sale of pre-release software is also not officially allowed on eBay for some reason, so they do sometimes remove listings for betas.

Top  Profile