BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 9h, 33m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 2033MB of 3617MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: I regret to announce...        Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
Real life has got me. Indeed, I have decided, while sitting at my aunt's house, and everyone watching the X-Factor, and I sat there (because I don't like that sort of thing) and all this was going through my head. I have been into computers and stuff for quite some time, but now I am beginning to realise it is affecting my life negatively. No, I DO have real life friends, none of that nonsense, and Girls and all, I won't comment on... yet.

I am feeling that I have better things to do than vist web forums every day and play games on my computer. It is affecting my life bad. All this computing has affected my eyesight and I may need glasses sometime if I continue using the computer as much as I do. For starters, I can't always make out the writing in History since it is small, on an Overhead projector and I am near the back of the room. I also felt better, much better and indeed more satisfied up the town with my friends, mucking around, and playing football in the leisure centre hall that we rented, i even scored a goal and set some up, or at the school disco, generally making idiots of ourselves. I am well sure they do this all the time at Youth Clubs and all, but I don't. Also, money is an issue. I am sure that running http://cmac.homeip.net is making a large hole in my parents electricity bill. And indeed £10 a month for Star Wars Galaxies is a little... much.

So what I am doing is hiding, storing or something every PC in the house except my laptop, brother's laptop and the new vista one. Ill keep the mac too, dad has taken to it ;-)

So in shorter words I am closing OC, giving it all (domain and all) to someone else, and basically every site except compact-mac.co.uk will be down, and the home server will be down, and I will be on the intenet much less.

I have yet to decide who will own OC, and all, but I will give it to someone I can trust. Still deciding...

Why on earth then did I take up this computer crap you may be asking?

Well, It is all problems I have had or am having. For starters, there are two people outside on my street who are giving me bother and stuff, but thats mostly over now. There are my friends but we only meet at school and via electronic communication, and sometimes monkeying around up the town, like they all live miles away from my house. So theres no-one to play with. (Except my brother, but I am loosing interest in Star Wars Figures and Lego) Then I live on a slope. The Back garden is flat but its tarmac and very small, about 2 Metres at its widest I would guess. So I can't play football. BUT I can ride my bike all round the estate and I can go on the treadmill. Plus, you are sitting on the bed. Bored. There is a big, rather powerful computer, sitting on the desk. What do you automatically do? Of coaruse, use the computer.

So That's it. I am leaving. All that will remain is www.compact-mac.co.uk and my small programming skill, with it I will continue with the teen4m client.

Will I Ever come back? Prehaps. Prehaps Not. I will still visit forums the odd time sometimes I guess.

So now its really goodbye. I will miss everyone in this small online community (or communities actually) and so long, goodbye!

EDIT: Since I still have an interest in the beta scene, due to it tells me about whats in new and old versions of OSes and all, expect compact-mac.co.uk private HTTP beta server someday and I will remain semi-active here...

Last edited by compact-mac on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:05 pm 
Donator

Sorry to hear that you are feeling this way :(
Real life can take over for a while, and can affect your online participation but when everything quietens down again then i'm sure you'll be back on all these online communities. At the moment Real life is currently affecting my online participation, thats why i'm not on BA as much as i would like.

Regarding old-computer, I would love to have the opportunity to own and run it for you. :)

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Too bad to see you go. :cry::cry:
I hope to see you back again, if not good luck.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:41 am 
Donator

It's sad to see you gone. I hope you come back from time to time.

Good luck with the real life.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:53 am 
Donator

Oh well it was fun while it lasted :cry:
Whoever takes over Old-Computer (I'm interested ), I hope you'll keep me as moderator :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:14 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hope to see you around the forums still. Remember, however bad you think your life is, chances are there is always someone else worse off.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
GOod point Andy.

And yes ill still be here a bit.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune
You talk sense. About 18 months ago I sat down and thought 'what the [censored] am I doing, why the hell do I need all these computers, and why the hell do I need a server'. So I shut down the server, everything broke, and I fixed it. Started to sell off the systems that I had that I really didn't need (I had a main desktop, backup desktop, windows server, linux server and linux desktop) and I really didn't need them all.

eBay helped me to get rid of all the crap. However, about 6 months later, I grew urges to start running stuff again, and as I didn't have the heart to scrap everything, I got stuff up and running (sort of) again. Even added another computer. Then I remembered what I'd said a few months ago and shut it all down.

About 3 months ago from now, I even went one stage further...'why the hell do I need to run my desktop all the time'. So that started getting shut down at night.

And now, approximately 1 month ago, I decided to scrap the lot. I'm doing something I said I'd never do, and just run a laptop instead of a desktop. Ever noticed how us more technical people have [censored] loads of problems, yet others don't? We complicate things without realising it. So I'm simplifying stuff. Laptop, USB hard drive, wireless router, printer - that's all there is to me in computing terms now.

Not running a computer in your room 24/7 after doing it for a while is hard, it becomes difficult to sleep after being used to the noise. But once you're used to it, you'll sleep a hell of a lot better.

So all those who run a server/desktop at home 24/7, sit back and think if you really need to. No, you don't. While it may seem cheaper to say, run a home server than buy webspace, you pay for it in electricity. Or your parents do. They whinge at you for having 'all those computers always running' for a reason.

So yeah, betas, computers, aren't everything. If you think that's all there is to you, unplug your computers for a week. It'll do you good.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:11 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Koptor wrote:
snip

Couldn't have put that better even if I tried.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune
Andy wrote:
Koptor wrote:
snip

Couldn't have put that better even if I tried.

Because me > you ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:33 pm 
FTP Access

Ehhh...

Sad to hear people are coming to these decisions but I'm glad at the same time. I know first hand that this computer stuff can really suck up time (and if it doesn't then you try to make it suck up time) and at the end of the day sure, everyone needs a hobby, but unfortunately (or fortunately?) RL's gotta come first...

Don't wanna make it too much of a downer, but it's like booze. It's great while you're doing it, then you wanna do it more, then you wanna do nothing but, and use it to block everything else out (and yes, it is possible for computing to do that), then if you're lucky you hit a point like Koptor and Compact-Mac have and realise that as much as you might not like to admit it... life is out there.

[Insert paragraph I wrote but ripped out.]

In the end I guess what I'm trying to say is what's already been said... computers aren't everything even if it seems they are or even if you try to make them everything. When they bite in to your social life or other aspects of RL it's time to take it easy.

Anyway, sorry to see people coming to this decision but if it's for the best then so be it, hope to still see you around but good luck in whatever you do offline and hope all works out. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:20 am 
Donator

I'm lucky I don't have those problems yet, but I'm sure I will some day. Hopefully I'll be able to stay around for a long time to come.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:25 am 
Donator

:o :cry: im sad to hear that you feel that way i hope you come back

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:14 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Some people just find that they have no life because they sit in on the pc all the time. I felt the same up till when I got a car. Because I have a way to get myself around now I can just go out whenever I like, go where I like etc. Its much easier now because I don't have to ask for a life and then wait for whoever I asked to find time to do it, only to find that it was then pointless going wherever I was going because my mates weren't there anymore!

Yeah life can be a real bitch but you just have to take over sometimes and try to enjoy life. Personally sitting in front of a pc most of the day does get boring now. It didn't used to but because I now "work" on a pc all day I find them slightly boring by the end of the day. All I want to do is just go home, relax, have a nice meal then go out with some friends. In other words, I'm slowly getting a life :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:59 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Koptor wrote:
Ever noticed how us more technical people have [censored] loads of problems, yet others don't? We complicate things without realising it.

I really couldn't agree more.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:03 pm 
FTP Access

The problem is not what you do on computers, but how much time you spend on Internet / Computers.
I've one ex friend, 21 years, he has a lot of problems. No social life, no real friend and he spends all time on Internet / TV ... that's bad. And when I tried to say to him that it was a problem for himself, he said "not bad ..." but now he is kind of depressed. My cousin work for a big computer programming software, he has 27years but not a good social life. In fact, that's good for you to change and to discover other ways of life.

For myself, I'm a kind of geek, but I prefer to go to party, to meet friends, to make projects with real people .. That's very important to enlarge our social life and to make new friends. Now, i spend more time with friends than with my computer, and I am very happy. This summer I haven't tuch to my computer for several days, that's cool !

It's like smoking, the same problem.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]