BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 4h, 16m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 2135MB of 4271MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Help please, dvd drive problem.        Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:53 pm 
Donator

Can anyone please explain this? When I go to change optical drives in my new pc(because the on in there now is going to die) it wont boot(Not even get past post). The drive I'm trying is a Benq dw1640 DVD R/RW pulled out of a working system.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:28 pm 
FTP Access

Check jumpers! Usually the cause of this problem is that the jumpers are set to either slave or master when they're supposed to whichever it's not set to...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Another issue could be the IDE cable in't plugged in correctly, ie: it's not lined up on the pins correctly. (I'm not accusing you of stupidity, I've done this myself before). That can caue your PC to freeze on POST or no POST at all, depending on what type of BIOS you have. Once plugging the drive in incorrectly, it's much easier every time to mis-align the pins because their already bent that way. But it probably is a jumper issue, just offerering another, not-so likely possibility. :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:29 pm 
FTP Access

4tified wrote:
Another issue could be the IDE cable in't plugged in correctly, ie: it's not lined up on the pins correctly. (I'm not accusing you of stupidity, I've done this myself before). That can caue your PC to freeze on POST or no POST at all, depending on what type of BIOS you have. Once plugging the drive in incorrectly, it's much easier every time to mis-align the pins because their already bent that way. But it probably is a jumper issue, just offerering another, not-so likely possibility. :wink:

Doesn't even have to misalignment really, it can be bent pins or the IDE plug not entirely snug at both ends... easy to accidentally mess up installing an IDE dive. Still, at least we have keyed connectors these days, can't put them in upside down. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:11 pm 
Donator

Thank you for the replys! Yes it was the jumper. And I actually bent many a pin before, the best thing to unbend them is a flat screw driver.

Top  Profile  WWW