BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 54d, 2h, 8m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5836MB of 10837MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Screenshots: Custom 90MEG Win2K        Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:49 am 
FTP Access

Hi there. Yeah, haven't been here for a while now, but in the screenshots section, you listed my custom operating system (Windows AlphaBetas) as Custom 90MEG Win2K.

I'd prefer if you'd put some mention of "Windows AlphaBetas" up there, as most of screens look like they are from my OS.

Thanks!
Troy

P.S. This board has been really active lately! Kudos to the new board and your future pursuits! :)

As for Windows AlphaBetas, I upgraded my system:

RAM: 64MB -> 256MB
    Sound Card (9x only) -> Creative Labs 128 Bit (9x, NT, and Linux)
    HDD: 6GB -> 40GB

This means more work will be made on Windows AlphaBetas and troyodOS. These were projects over at OSBA before it closed down.

I will repost updates on these OS's later on. See you!

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:59 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Since it was on OSBA, feel free to move the project to BetaArchive if it doesn't already have a new home 8)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:41 am 
FTP Access

troyoda1990
Its kind of my fault. When I uploaded the iso I uploaded the one I was playing around with. Its not the 83 mb one :D . No one has that one yet besides me.
I am hoping it could be the basis for the new Alpha/Beta. A few tweaks here and a few tweaks there and it will be ready.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:11 pm 
FTP Access

i got 2000 down to 83mb, but its more or less custom tailored to my Compaq laptop (ie. no drivers but video and sound for that specific laptop) im hoping to get it smaller too 8)

@troyoda1990, looks like an interesting project, i might just have to download it sometime :lol:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:45 pm 
FTP Access

You get your iso nearly the same size I do. What do you use to make your windows?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:49 pm 
FTP Access

cygnus wrote:

@troyoda1990, looks like an interesting project, i might just have to download it sometime :lol:

Its a co effort on both our parts. Troy is the creator and senior advisor. The new edition may be out soon.

The size I am shooting for eventually is an iso size of around 35 mb stable and usable. :shock:

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:37 pm 
FTP Access

i use nLite and just remove everything then go back through and add the things i think i will need. then, after i get the iso tested in VPC, i go through it again in nLite and remove more then test it again. i got it down below 70mb once, but then something wasnt right and the comp wouldn't run right. so i just stuck with my 83mb (realistically, the iso is 83mb, the actuall i386 folder and stuff, is just under 81mb)

35mb!? :shock:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:06 pm 
FTP Access

I am going to use a combination of HFSLIP with FDV files, NLITE, and microwinx when beta3 comes out.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:16 am 
FTP Access

Joe (jdurall from OSBA) and I are working together as well to work on a small sized Windows 2000 that is still usable. He said he could make it even smaller if he wanted to.

Quote:
Install size is around 170 or so mb. Cold boot comitt is 26, after drivers are installed about 33.

Windows AlphaBetas Build 905 is still my favorite today, but that's from September 2005 (that's how the build numbers worked). Build 1606 (June 2006) was abandoned obviously, but an updated Explorer and shell were fixed/made.

With the new upgrades to my computer, a better, more powerful OS will be created so it can be ran on all computers world-wide. Whether you got Dual cores or that Intel Pentium.

After we're done with Windows 2000, we will move into Windows XP's system when Vista is finally released. That way, those that can't upgrade to Vista, but still need the compatibility with XP can use our OS to stay up-to-date with today's technologies.

It's not how small the OS can be that matters,
it's how large the OS becomes...

Troy

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:28 am 
FTP Access

sounds like a damn good idea. im so happy i joined here and at vipertech, i have been able to tweak all my computers so well. my amd athlon 1.8ghz starts XP in just under 20 seconds ^_^

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:42 pm 
FTP Access

troyoda1990 wrote:
Joe (jdurall from OSBA) and I are working together as well to work on a small sized Windows 2000 that is still usable. He said he could make it even smaller if he wanted to.

Quote:
Install size is around 170 or so mb. Cold boot comitt is 26, after drivers are installed about 33.

Windows AlphaBetas Build 905 is still my favorite today, but that's from September 2005 (that's how the build numbers worked). Build 1606 (June 2006) was abandoned obviously, but an updated Explorer and shell were fixed/made.

With the new upgrades to my computer, a better, more powerful OS will be created so it can be ran on all computers world-wide. Whether you got Dual cores or that Intel Pentium.

After we're done with Windows 2000, we will move into Windows XP's system when Vista is finally released. That way, those that can't upgrade to Vista, but still need the compatibility with XP can use our OS to stay up-to-date with today's technologies.

It's not how small the OS can be that matters,
it's how large the OS becomes...

Troy

The functionality is still there in the 83 mb iso. I havnt started development in the others yet.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Yes. Moving to XP when Vista is released does seem like a good idea - that way I won't need to upgrade hardware to run Vista, because I never will! Hahaha, you can't make me run Vista when it comes out, Moneybags Microsoft! o.0

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:16 am 
FTP Access

Development of the xp version will start when Troy gives the OK and after the 2000 version is tested. I plan on using the same reducer to add dx9 and reduce the size of xp as I did in 2000.
So I really need the 2k version tested to see what componants I need to leave.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:57 am 
FTP Access

well, the components i would like to have left in 2000 (this is for a laptop) would be PCMCIA, Modem Support and drivers, sound drivers, and video and network. thats really all i need in it (even modem isnt that necessary)

i can test it when i have free time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:03 am 
FTP Access

What apps do you guys normally use? Like Calculator, WordPad, etc.

Last edited by ddrmaxromance on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Paint, Notepad, sometimes the Windows Games (not the internet ones though).

It would be even better if you integrated mIRC in.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:31 am 
FTP Access

The 83 mb iso has some functionality taken out, BUT this is a big BUT :D
The lost functionality can be added back in with better apps, for instance
MS paint gone use photo filtre
IE gone use FF
OK guys you get the point. The loss in functionality is really a positive. On a better point :shock: all the open ports are either cloaked or closed, what does this mean Well you really dont need a firewall hogging up resources usless you really want one.
I guess I have your attention by now.
When will this be available?
That my friends is up to Troy. He is the creator and I am just helping out.
Next you say.
Maybe an xp version. :D

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:53 am 
FTP Access

how do you access a network if all ports are closed?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:35 am 
FTP Access

The ports ARE EITHER CLOAKED OR CLOSED No problem acessing network :D

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:07 pm 
FTP Access

Lite Windows isn't my cup of tea; no Windows Installer, no SMB, etc. It's a shame there's no decent trade-off.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:18 am 
FTP Access

This is still being worked on. What do you require in an OS if several peoples needs are the same it just might make it in the next version :D

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:50 am 
Donator

nice! :shock:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:17 am 
This seems to be a very old thread, but I have a question that I think many would like to ask: Is this iso image of windows 2000 downsized to 83 mb available anywhere for download?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:48 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
decebalus12 wrote:
This seems to be a very old thread, but I have a question that I think many would like to ask: Is this iso image of windows 2000 downsized to 83 mb available anywhere for download?

It is available on our private FTP servers.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:06 pm 
FTP Access

The project was abandoned roughly a year ago because I no longer have time to work on it I guess. lol. Also with the whole legal matters, I don't want the OS to ruin my future I guess. It was mostly for personal use. And yes, it can be found on a private server if you truly desire it, but I couldn't do not take credit for the work, as Microsoft did most of it.

Top  Profile