BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 8h, 54m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 2079MB of 3635MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: Newbie to Hex Editing        Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:24 am 
Donator

I've got a Windows 98 Startup Disk and I'm editing it. I want to edit IO.SYS so that when it goes into the boot menu, it doesn't say "Windows 98 Startup Menu". Instead it says something else. I opened IO.SYS in a hex editor but none of it made any sense what so ever to me. I was hoping someone could help me on this one...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:01 am 
Donator

Search for the string you want to modify (as text search). Then, carefully overwrite (not insert!) the old string with the new one, by entering the new hex values, paying attention not to change the file's size (if you do that accidentally, you'll destroy the file). As a hex editor, I'd recommend XVI32 if you're on Windows. It allows you to search for hex and ASCII strings.

Here's a screenshot, showing where in Win98's io.sys the relevant part is. This is the string you have to modify.

edit: Forgot something. Your new text must either be as long as the original one or shorter. If it is shorter, fill the rest of the old text with "00" patterns to retain the original file size. The new text can't be longer than the original as the file size must stay the same.

Top  Profile