BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 1h, 2m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5661MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: floppy drive going bonkers in XP home....        Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
alright, long story short, i installed Dos 6.22 on a fresh out-of-the-box HDD, and forgot to make a boot disk that has CD-Rom support... and the only other computer in my house with floppy support (the aforementioned XP home box), when i try to read any floppy, says that it cant find the ID track, or something like that, and when i try to format it through CMD.exe, says that it can't format it because Track 0 messed up, even though it can be read, written to, and reformated fine on the dos computer. ive tried over 30 different floppies, all of them ending up the exact same way... so my question is, what is it that im missing here? has anyone had the same problem? any ideas?

EDIT:i don't know if this goes under Hardware of software support because i don't know if its Windows of the floppy drive messing up itself....

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: floppy drive going bonkers in XP home....        Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:58 pm 
Donator

teriaki 511 wrote:
alright, long story short, i installed Dos 6.22 on a fresh out-of-the-box HDD, and forgot to make a boot disk that has CD-Rom support... and the only other computer in my house with floppy support (the aforementioned XP home box), when i try to read any floppy, says that it cant find the ID track, or something like that, and when i try to format it through CMD.exe, says that it can't format it because Track 0 messed up, even though it can be read, written to, and reformated fine on the dos computer. ive tried over 30 different floppies, all of them ending up the exact same way... so my question is, what is it that im missing here? has anyone had the same problem? any ideas?

EDIT:i don't know if this goes under Hardware of software support because i don't know if its Windows of the floppy drive messing up itself....

This could be numerous things. I think it is pretty obvious, if your floppy disk is in fact ok, that there is a communication problem with the OS and the drive. This could be due to a bad drive, a bad controller, or a bad/wrongly installed cable.

Don't underestimate the crazyness of a broken floppy drive. Only last night I plugged one in that caught my computer on fire. Thats right... the power cable got instantly red hot and smoldered when the machine was powered on. After removing the power quickly and letting things settle, I examined the whole thing and it looked fine. So I set it up in a safe environment, plugged into only a power supply. It did the same thing :/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:50 am 
It won't really solve your problem, but it will help you find out if you have a software or a hardware problem:

Boot your WinXP box from the DOS 6.22 floppy disc (maybe you have to enable is in BIOS). If that works, your floppy drive is fine.

If it does not work, I suggest that you open the PC and check and reconnect all cables (to the floppy).

If you really need your WinXP computer to create an updated boot floppy with CD-ROM support, as last option, you could take your working floppy drive from the DOS-PC, connect it to the WinXP-PC, create your floppy disc, and then put the drive back into the other PC.