Bad RAM...

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Battler
Donator

Bad RAM...

Post by Battler »

... well, could it make a mother-board blow up? Or at least break beyond any repair?

Also, what all could cause a mother-board to blow up, or at least break beyond any repair?
Join [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/softhistory/]#softhistory @ RoL IRC[/url], a nice community for true enthusiasts!
Anime channel: [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/aniboshi/]#doki-doki @ RoL IRC[/url], Mibbit, KiwiIRC.
The 86Box help channel is #softhistory now!

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

If you mean PHYSICALLY blow up, then it would have to be a capacitor (assuming again that said explosion was ON the motherboard)

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Well, a guy from Romania told me, that 5-6 years ago, a friend of his decided to plug in his PC's original RAM stick, which hadn't been used for months (he replaced it with another RAM stick before) back into that PC, in addition to the new stick, so to double the amount of RAM to 512 MB. And as a result, the mother-board blew up, or, as he said, it "ate half of his mother-board".
Join [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/softhistory/]#softhistory @ RoL IRC[/url], a nice community for true enthusiasts!
Anime channel: [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/aniboshi/]#doki-doki @ RoL IRC[/url], Mibbit, KiwiIRC.

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

Memory doesn't explode. It's like saying my bowl of cereal exploded. Or my socks exploded.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Well, actually, he claimed that the bad RAM made a capacitor on the mother-board explode, causing a chain reaction, which in the end, led to the whole mother-board exploding. Now, is such an event really possible?

strekship
FTP Access

Post by strekship »

I suppose it is possible to cause a short with some bad ram.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

some motherboard have a limit of how many ram could be install.
like i got this low-end asus motherboard which does support more than 1 stick of 1GB ram. I think if you use 3 sticks of 1GB ram, it would overload the circuit which could lead to a blow up. As i never tested this, i can't confirm that this would happen, plus different motherboard acts differently. maybe he has a bad one...

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

It would never blow up due to a short. Power supplies have short circuit and overload protection, they pretty much always have.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Well, I was asking, because I wanted to try the broken PC's RAM in the PC I'm currently on. However, I just found out, that this will be impossible, since the RAM in question is DDR 2 (PC2-5300), while the PC I'm currently on, has DDR.