BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 23h, 47m | CPU: 4% | MEM: 1946MB of 3291MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: SATA Expansion card opinions        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
i have a 9/10 year old compy running windows 98 se that i want to give a little boost, and while i was searching, i came across an expansion card that gives older computers the ability to use newer SATA equipment. I was wondering, would this be a smart idea? if i get this, will i be able to completely remove the PATA HDD in my computer and just use the SATA drive as my primary drive? I want know before i buy the thing and potentially waste $40 bucks and kill my compy? any ideas?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I don't think the slight speed boost of SATA would be noticible on such an old computer, I'd just get a larger HD, and faster PATA HD...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
I have a SATA card installed in my Dual Pentium III Computer (7 years old), and I can honestly say that the boost is noticeable even over ATA133. I think as long as you're running a Windows NT based operating system, it will work. I can't say for sure, but I think even your 10 year-old compy will run it. It also depends on your BIOS too I guess. Remember that the card will be the second thing that loads after your video card and POST checks, so whatever drive is hooked into your SATA card will take precidence over ANY other drive in your system. Remember that "Press F6 to install SCSI or RAID Drivers" prompt at the start of Winows Setup? (Windows NT-based OS's) That's where you're gonna load the drivers so that Setup can format and copy setup files to the disk... in case you didn't know that :-). Okay enough rambling. In either case, I think it's a good idea, just remember that you'll probably have to use a Windows NT-based OS. Anyone know if it's possible to use an 9x based OS with SATA? (If it's not natively supported in the BIOS of course)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:51 pm 
Donator

The speed boost is entirely dependant on the bus. If it's slower than what the current drive is actually capble of, you'll not notice a thing. If not, then you'll see a difference, although not one as big as with additional RAM.

4tified wrote:
Anyone know if it's possible to use an 9x based OS with SATA? (If it's not natively supported in the BIOS of course)

If it's not supported by the BIOS (or by an add-on card's BIOS module), it's only possible with proper drivers, but not as a boot device. If it's supported by the BIOS, but doesn't have a 32-bit driver, it'll be slow like hell (try copying a large file with Windows 3.0 in real mode, you'll see what I mean).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
i dont really care about speed, for its age, my 98se compy's faster than my dad's XP compy, and my 98 has half the RAM..., i just want a larger HDD to compliment the RAM boost i'm going to give my compy, right now, the thing's only got 6 gigs, and with all of my projects on it, its only got like 500 megs left... anyway, ill have to see, my compy was an aptiva, but when my parents shipped it off to a repair shop, they, for some reason, swapped the BIOS chip to Acer (and for some reason, the BOIS logo still says Aptiva). Thanks for the quick replies!

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:41 pm 
FTP Access

The SATA card should work as long as it has the proper drivers for it. I am not sure if you can install 98 on one though.

Top  Profile