BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 10h, 29m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 2430MB of 5929MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: DIY Dual Format HD Disc Player?        Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:52 pm 
FTP Access

I was thinking, you can buy a PS3 as a BluRay player, or an XBOX360 with HDDVD player to play your high definition content... but why not merge the two?

The HDDVD drive is a standard USB external drive and works on a PC with no modifications, and the PS3 has USB ports... so what would happen if you ran Linux on the PS3 with the 360's HDDVD drive attached? Could you play both formats?

Seems like a great way to play both formats if you already have a PS3 and it's fairly cheap too if you do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Apple iOS 5.1
That is actually a good idea... so whoever wins you will not be out if pocket

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:08 am 
Donator

The linux on the PS3 has no access to video acceleration. Im not sure the CPU requirements to decode hi-def video

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:17 am 
Donator

RentedMule wrote:
The linux on the PS3 has no access to video acceleration. Im not sure the CPU requirements to decode hi-def video

They're insanely high if the GPU isn't involved, i.e. Core 2 Duo E68xx or Athlon 64 X2 6000+. I'm not sure if the PS3's Cell core will be able to decode them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:33 am 
FTP Access

Aww, that's kinda lame... Damn you, Sony!

Edit: Thinking about it, how about one of those 3rd party video player discs for the PS2? If it appeared to the PS3 as a game, couldn't it then use the CPU, audio, graphics and USB?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:39 am 
Donator

You would need access and license to a development kit, like SN Systems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:45 am 
Donator

empireum wrote:
RentedMule wrote:

They're insanely high if the GPU isn't involved, i.e. Core 2 Duo E68xx or Athlon 64 X2 6000+. I'm not sure if the PS3's Cell core will be able to decode them.

The PS3 has a seven core Cell capble of 218 GFlops (ah, the power of POWER :lol: ), while the stock Core 2 Extreme X6850 does about 39 GFlops. I think the Cell has the CPU power needed.

Besides, if my Athlon 64 3200+ can decode 1080p H.264 video in real time, so can the Cell.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:05 am 
Donator

ppc_digger wrote:
empireum wrote:
RentedMule wrote:

The PS3 has a seven core Cell capble of 218 GFlops (ah, the power of POWER :lol: ), while the stock Core 2 Extreme X6850 does about 39 GFlops. I think the Cell has the CPU power needed.

Besides, if my Athlon 64 3200+ can decode 1080p H.264 video in real time, so can the Cell.

I read somewhere that Linux on the PS3 doesn't have access to all seven cores. That was what I actually meant, I just wrote it incorrectly. That might become an obstacle.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:24 am 
FTP Access

Where there's a will there's a way though I'm sure... someone will figure it out eventually, if only to make money! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:55 pm 
Donator

Not necessarily true. PS3 linux runs uder a form of hypervisor. For all intents and purposes, a virtual machine. What you are suggesting is that there HAS to be a way for something to break out of the virtual machine. Other than mystical talks of something called "Blue Pill", no one can even demonstrate this is at all possible.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:19 pm 
FTP Access

Hrm... I'm thinking the slightly more legit method of actually selling a licenced video player wold be the route to go, but very very expensive no doubt... it's the kind of stuff I'd expect cheat disc manufacturers to put out (like they did on the PS2)... I'm not sure Sony would be too pleased about enabling HDDVD playback though...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
Quote:
seven core Cell capble of 218 GFlops
Quote:
stock Core 2 Extreme X6850 does about 39 GFlops
Quote:
Linux on the PS3 doesn't have access to all seven cores

Think a little about this one..... 218 on 7 cores.... that equals 31GFlops per core. Core 2 does 39GFlops.

So even with only access to one core, it would seem to be just enough power to to things with PS3Linux.

From a pure matemathical theretical point of view, of course.

It might of course be that you'll need to apply some nice Amigatricks (ie, advanced and heavily handcrafted optizations to the CPU intensive parts of the code) to do it if you "lack" the 8 last GFlops the Core 2 has.

However, if you have acess to 2 cores under Linux, then your problems are solved, at least matemathically ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:03 pm 
Donator

Doctor Mindvipe wrote:
It might of course be that you'll need to apply some nice Amigatricks (ie, advanced and heavily handcrafted optizations to the CPU intensive parts of the code) to do it if you "lack" the 8 last GFlops the Core 2 has.

Actually, that's the Core 2 Extreme X6850. If the E6600 is enough, a single Cell core is, too.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]